PDA

View Full Version : New sky+ hd epg

dilli-theclaw
09-03-2009, 15:03
Starts rolling out tomorrow apparently....

LINK (http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/22789/23813/sky-launches-skyhd-epg-guide.phtml)

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a way to get this new epg or get picked to get it any sooner?

Dilli.

Cheers :)

demented
09-03-2009, 15:07
Ooh nice, Sky delivering early too.

dilli-theclaw
09-03-2009, 15:08
From my googling it looks like it's been 'coming soon' for a fair few months so I don't know about early?

demented
09-03-2009, 15:17
It has been severely delayed, the strongly rumoured date was 20th March though :). I was quite impressed with the idea of series stack on the same page. Sadly the pics don't really show it off in it's full glory. The standard guide looks so blocky on the Sky+ HD box. A friend who has it will be thrilled.

dilli-theclaw
09-03-2009, 15:25
Indeed - a couiple more pictures.

I like the way you can get it to highlight HD content.

Much of it is already on the v+ box I know.

Still I have my fingers crossed it gets to my box asap ;)

Chris
09-03-2009, 15:32
Now, next and later programme info viewable while watching a programme ... programme still viewable while browsing the Guide ... what innovations. It's not as if Telewest/NTL/Virgin hasn't been capable of this for many years now! And here's Sky, about to launch it for Sky+HD customers only.

Even basic, cheapest of the cheap Freesat boxes already have this functionality.

Charlie_Bubble
09-03-2009, 15:33
From my googling it looks like it's been 'coming soon' for a fair few months so I don't know about early?

I don't think any 'coming soon' can ever hope to hold up against any VM/NTL 'coming soon' there has ever been.

Stephen
09-03-2009, 15:58
Its been coming soon for longer than a few months. They originally announced it a couple of years ago.

demented
09-03-2009, 16:03
Now, next and later programme info viewable while watching a programme ... programme still viewable while browsing the Guide ... what innovations. It's not as if Telewest/NTL/Virgin hasn't been capable of this for many years now! And here's Sky, about to launch it for Sky+HD customers only.

Even basic, cheapest of the cheap Freesat boxes already have this functionality.

I've liked some aspects of Telewest/VMs EPG for a long time - the mini guide functionality that was lacking off sky, until now. I find that although I like them nobody else seems bothered about them in the slightest and seems much more bothered about channel speed change/general EPG speed.

Chris
09-03-2009, 16:19
I too appreciated the NTL epg, when I had it. I've long since been off-net and forced to make do with Sky (hopefully moving to Freesat soon though - we already have that in the holiday flat, yay). The lack of programme info in the now/next screen was and is a right pain, as is the lack of an in-screen view of what you were watching when you go into the full guide.

So far as I can gather those who do not have Sky+HD are going to remain without these enhancements though.

NoKnowledge
09-03-2009, 17:20
I was just wondering if anyone knows of a way to get this new epg or get picked to get it any sooner?

Dilli.

Cheers :) According to the Sky HD Team over @ DS The first group to receive the Sky+HD Guide will be made up of some of our customers with Thomson Sky+HD boxes. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=999675

dilli-theclaw
09-03-2009, 18:03
Oh well that's me out then...

Cheers :)

Tezcatlipoca
09-03-2009, 20:21
It'll be nice to finally have features on my Sky+HD box which I had years ago on my ntl box, LOL.

Arthurgray50@blu
09-03-2009, 20:42
Maybe someone should tell the CEO at VM, that there is new stuff coming from Sky, as VM are still in the dark ages.

TheDon
09-03-2009, 23:23
Maybe someone should tell the CEO at VM, that there is new stuff coming from Sky, as VM are still in the dark ages.

I think my irony detector just broke.

You do realise this update brings the Sky HD boxes features that have been available to even the oldest VM stbs for... well, I can't actually remember how long ago as it's been that long.

Tezcatlipoca
10-03-2009, 21:46
Well, the roll-out has begun.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-news-announcements/28961-sky-hd-guide-2.html#post200479

Only a small batch so far apparently, of certain version Thomson boxes (not including my 4E3007 :( ).

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:12 ----------

Interesting stuff at Sky User - apparently the new EPG lets you manually tune ITV HD (something not possible under the old EPG).

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-hd/29037-itvhd-now-available-via-new-epg.html

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-hd/28999-sky-hd-new-epg-bugs-faults-workarounds-2.html

demented
10-03-2009, 23:04
Yeah my friend has a 4E3007 too and hasn't got it.

Ho ho ho about ITV HD stream if true, pmsl.

Chris
10-03-2009, 23:42
Interesting stuff at Sky User - apparently the new EPG lets you manually tune ITV HD (something not possible under the old ITV).

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-hd/29037-itvhd-now-available-via-new-epg.html

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-hd/28999-sky-hd-new-epg-bugs-faults-workarounds-2.html

It was a fair bet they would try to open up that possibility if they could. ITV HD has been deliberately encapsulated in a data stream rather than a channel stream to make it harder for Sky, but the broadcast is there and was available to anyone with a sufficiently flexible receiver and a little tuning know-how from day one.

I wonder how many Sky+HD users will become aware they can do this, and give it a try?

demented
10-03-2009, 23:50
Sky have undermined ITV before. I wonder whether they would for example run adverts about it or publish articles in it in the sky magazine. Without openly drawing people's attention to it I can only see thousands tapping into this, although it is hard to say because the service shows so little (I still think it's great). If you don't watch footy or movies it has little of interest at the moment. It's a really big unknown.

Tezcatlipoca
11-03-2009, 00:56
Yeah my friend has a 4E3007 too and hasn't got it.

Ho ho ho about ITV HD stream if true, pmsl.

I'm hoping it won't be too long - if they're working from old > new - as mine is nearly two years old now. Could still take weeks/months going by the post from "Sky HD Team" though, depending on how they do the roll out.

Yup, amusing about ITV HD. I wonder when they'll finally do a deal though & add it properly.

I wonder how many Sky+HD users will become aware they can do this, and give it a try?

Not many, I would guess.

Probably not something the average customer would know about or know how to do, and I can't see Sky putting instructions for it in the little leaflet thing they're sending out about the EPG.

Sky have undermined ITV before. I wonder whether they would for example run adverts about it or publish articles in it in the sky magazine. Without openly drawing people's attention to it I can only see thousands tapping into this, although it is hard to say because the service shows so little (I still think it's great). If you don't watch footy or movies it has little of interest at the moment. It's a really big unknown.

Yeah, I doubt many will actually know about it & tune into it.

Doesn't interest me personally at the moment anyway, as I don't watch football (except the odd England game), & I consider most ITV programmes to be crap lol.

demented
11-03-2009, 17:54
Hmmm I see what you mean Matt D. The (if we take it as) official post on DS from Sky Forum Team doesn't sound so good although it is an "old" box. Strikes me as a lack of confidence about testing.

Tezcatlipoca
11-03-2009, 22:28
It is an official post - Sky have a few different genuine accounts at DS & Sky User (& maybe other forums), such as the Sky HD Team account.

Kellargh
22-04-2009, 15:32
Hmmm mine hasn't been updated yet but I need to check the model number of mine.

I still prefer the Sky HD box to the V+, trying to watch tv over my mates is a nightmare, the channels take ages to change, EPG is very dodgy on V+ boxes, and I find the "press ok to view this channel" irritating when I press ok on my Sky box to get rid of the EPG! (I keep making that mistake, then the horrid slow channel changes occur again to get back to what we wanted to watch!)

It will be nice to have the screen included like Freeview and the V boxes, but it was never completely necessary anyway - I never watch the mini screen in the EPG when going through channels on my Freeview box.

BenMcr
22-04-2009, 15:34
Anyone know when the new Samsung Sky+HD boxes are getting the update.

My flatmate got all the notification - but for his old Thompson box. Has had it swapped today after a fault

byron_hinson
22-04-2009, 19:32

My flatmate got all the notification - but for his old Thompson box. Has had it swapped today after a fault

Sometime next month but don't quote me on that as they won't be updated til the Thompson boxes are done and there are still loads of those to go

NoKnowledge
22-04-2009, 19:34

My flatmate got all the notification - but for his old Thompson box. Has had it swapped today after a fault As far as I know Sky don't have a official timetable, although there are posts full of rumours http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=997287

MadGamer
30-04-2009, 13:11
Our HD Box has been updated with the new EPG. Looks pretty good actually.

Tezcatlipoca
30-04-2009, 20:24
Yep, our 4E3007 was updated today :)

dilli-theclaw
30-04-2009, 20:25
Still waiting for mine. I have a new samsung one so probably last to be done :)

Tezcatlipoca
30-04-2009, 20:29
Yeah probably. They still have a lot of Thomson boxes to do before they move on to the Samsung & Pace boxes.

mr_bo
01-05-2009, 10:42
Yep, our 4E3007 was updated today :)

Mine too, have you tuned ITV HD yet?

Tezcatlipoca
02-05-2009, 15:06
Yep :)

Went to the "Add Channels" bit, scanned for:

H
2/3

Found channel 10510, saved it, & now I have ITV HD in the "Other Channels" section.

As it's ITV though, I'm unlikely to watch it much (if at all).