PDA

View Full Version : Reductil, any good?

Tinky
07-03-2009, 11:08
My Doctor has prescribed Reductil in bid to help me lose weight. She did say they don't work for everybody, but I persuaded her to at least let me have a try. She reckons in three months I should lose at least 5% of my body weight, if I knuckle down. Has anyone else tried them, did they work, any nasty side effects as with Xenical? :erm::shocked:

Ramrod
07-03-2009, 12:14
I know this is off topic but you have tried to simply eat less+'better' in order to lose weight?

edit--and you have read up on its Safety concerns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibutramine#Safety_concerns) ?
Frequently encountered side effects are: dry mouth, paradoxically increased appetite, nausea, strange taste in the mouth, upset stomach, constipation, trouble sleeping, dizziness, drowsiness, menstrual cramps/pain, headache, flushing, or joint/muscle pain.

Sibutramine can substantially increase blood pressure and pulse in some patients. Therefore all patients treated with sibutramine should have regular monitoring of blood pressure and pulse.

The following side effects are infrequent but serious and require immediate medical attention: cardiac arrhythmias, paresthesia, mental/mood changes (e.g., excitement, restlessness, confusion, depression, rare thoughts of suicide).

Symptoms that require urgent medical attention are seizures, problems urinating, abnormal bruising or bleeding, melena, hematemesis, jaundice, fever and rigors, chest pain, hemiplegia, abnormal vision, dyspnea and edema.Studies are ongoing into reports of sudden death, heart failure, renal failure and gastrointestinal problems. Despite a petition by Ralph Nader-founded NGO Public Citizen,[6] the FDA made no attempts to withdraw the drug, but was part of a Senate hearing in 2005.[7] Similarly, Dr. David Graham, FDA "whistleblower", testified before a Senate Finance Committee hearing that sibutramine may be more dangerous than the conditions it is used for.[8]

A large randomized-controlled study with 10,742 patients (SCOUT) examined whether or not sibutramine reduces the risk for cardiovascular complications in people at high risk for heart disease and concluded that "Six-week treatment with sibutramine appears to be efficacious, tolerable and safe in this high-risk population for whom sibutramine is usually contraindicated."

Tinky
07-03-2009, 19:26
Thank you for your reply Ramrod.:tu: I did read the very lengthy leaflet that was enclosed with the capsules, and I noted it did mention a great many things, including concerns re hypertension. The Doctor may have decided that because my blood pressure is now at an acceptable level, and has remained so for several months now, to allow the prescription as a last ditch effort. Because of my age, I am not able to do a great deal in the way of exercise, although I try my utmost to stay as active as my health permits. As for cutting down/eating better, after years of trying to keep the weight off, I am only too aware of what not to eat, but alas easier said than done. However I am prepared to give it one last go, and I would just like to know if any of the other CF members had any personal knowledge of this drug i.e. has it helped/not helped?

Nidge
08-03-2009, 09:17
Thank you for your reply Ramrod.:tu: I did read the very lengthy leaflet that was enclosed with the capsules, and I noted it did mention a great many things, including concerns re hypertension. The Doctor may have decided that because my blood pressure is now at an acceptable level, and has remained so for several months now, to allow the prescription as a last ditch effort. Because of my age, I am not able to do a great deal in the way of exercise, although I try my utmost to stay as active as my health permits. As for cutting down/eating better, after years of trying to keep the weight off, I am only too aware of what not to eat, but alas easier said than done. However I am prepared to give it one last go, and I would just like to know if any of the other CF members had any personal knowledge of this drug i.e. has it helped/not helped?

I'm not a great believer in diet drugs they can cause a load of problems with your insides, the best thing to lose weight is excersise, start off with light excersise then work up to something that will leave you short of breath for a few minutes, buld on that week after week and within no time you'll be doing things you thought you couldn't do.

Many people in the UK want to lose weight the easy route like going to the doctors and asking for some miracle drug that will help them lose weight without the need for excersise, you need to increase your heart rate to enable you to lose weight, you'll also need to put in place a diet cutting out all the high fat, high carbohydrate foods like chocolate, white bread,, full fat milk the list is endless.

What you've got to think is when you've lost the weight with the tablets you'll put the weight back on with more added on top. It's a bad circle.

Ramrod
08-03-2009, 10:44
If you do decide to give diet one more go Tinky then don't be worried about not being able to exercise. You don't need to exercise to lose weight, you simply need to consume fewer calories than you expend.
I have lost 1 stone in weight in the last 5 weeks simply through eating very healthily and cutting out the cr*p. I actually cut out the gym work during that time as well.....

Angua
08-03-2009, 11:10
There is a forum here (http://www.ukmedixplus.co.uk/forum/viewtopics.cfm/Forum/18/fti/reductil) would say that is the best place to start and best of luck :hugs:

Hardest thing is having a system which craves all the wrong things when your head knows perfectly well what you should eat. Like living with a permanent civil war. Any help which aids the need side against the want side is worth trying when it feels like you are fighting a losing battle against losing.

Russ
08-03-2009, 11:15
It's perfectly feasible to lose weight by eating whatever you want and when you want. It's all a case of learning to listen to your body and stopping when you're full and not over-eating. Eat when you're hungry and not when you think you're supposed to and take your time with meals.

Nidge
08-03-2009, 12:30
It's perfectly feasible to lose weight by eating whatever you want and when you want. It's all a case of learning to listen to your body and stopping when you're full and not over-eating. Eat when you're hungry and not when you think you're supposed to and take your time with meals.

Quite right there Russ, there's loads of foods out there that will leave you full for a long period of time but aren't high in calories or carbohydrates.

Russ
08-03-2009, 12:40
Quite right there Russ, there's loads of foods out there that will leave you full for a long period of time but aren't high in calories or carbohydrates.

It's not even that - I followed Paul McKenna's guide and I dropped a stone in about 2 months. Generally the plan is to eat whatever you want because if you opt for the low-fat version each time, once you've hit your ideal weight you're more likely to go back to your old foods and put the weight back on. The key is to eat slowly because what happens a lot of the time is when you're eating your favourite meal, you enjoy it so much that you guzzle it down quickly and past the point of being full. McKenna shows you how to recognise the 'full' warning that your body gives.

He says other things too, like how guilty people feel about leaving any of their food. If you haven't finished off the meal and you get to 'full' then just save it for later.

Also he says instead of eating at set times (like breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper etc), eat when you're hungry. If you put it off til your set 'time' then your body goes in to starvation mode.

There are no diets (he explains how they just don't work) and no sacrifices, just a new approach to eating and 'mealtimes'.

Tinky
08-03-2009, 18:58
Thank you all for your replies, and I am going to 'digest' them at my leisure (sorry for the pun). Ramrod and Russ you have done ever so well, and I commend you for it, but Russ if I was to eat every time I felt hungry well............I hate to think. :erm: However there is life in this old girl yet, and by way of dipping my toe in the water, decided to take my first capsule this morning. Early days yet but I couldn't eat all my dinner tonight (hope that's a good sign). Will give it my best shot, won't say I will succeed, but I'm more determined than ever after reading Angua's post, £100 for one month's supply of Reductil, surely not! Wish me luck!:)

Russ
08-03-2009, 19:08
but Russ if I was to eat every time I felt hungry well............I hate to think.

What's wrong with that?

You're listening to an obeying your body. People being overweight is usually down to overeating. As long as you stop eating when you're full.

Have a look online for Paul McKenna's "I can Make You Thin". It's about £7 on Amazon. For that sort of price you've got nothing to lose.

Peter_
08-03-2009, 19:19
I would join a Slimming World group, I am a man and have lost almost 3 stone since November 2008 and would recommend it to anyone, the support is there and the eating plan is easy to follow. :Yes:

I have gone down 4 jeans sizes and have bought smaller coats and fully expect to lose at least another 2 stone.:Yes:

If I can do it then anyone can.:Yes:

Click here for your nearest group. (http://www.slimmingworld.com/nearest/nearest_group.aspx)

Tinky
08-03-2009, 20:05
What's wrong with that?

You're listening to an obeying your body. People being overweight is usually down to overeating. As long as you stop eating when you're full.

Have a look online for Paul McKenna's "I can Make You Thin". It's about £7 on Amazon. For that sort of price you've got nothing to lose.

Thank you Russ, I believe you suggested this book to me once before, it's obviously made a great impression on you. Maybe I could borrow it from the local library.

I would join a Slimming World group, I am a man and have lost almost 3 stone since November 2008 and would recommend it to anyone, the support is there and the eating plan is easy to follow. :Yes:

I have gone down 4 jeans sizes and have bought smaller coats and fully expect to lose at least another 2 stone.:Yes:

If I can do it then anyone can.:Yes:

Click here for your nearest group. (http://www.slimmingworld.com/nearest/nearest_group.aspx)

Moldova, what made me think you were a woman (sorry)? Well done, that's a lot to lose in such a short time. I did go to Weigh****chers several years back, and lost loads. However now that I have the necessary booklets I am blowed if I am going to spend £5+ just to step on their scales, because I never did stay for the 'lectures'. I have all the necessary gen, I just don't know if I have sufficient willpower. However never say die, if I don't do it this time I don't know if I will ever have another diet left in me, after all these years. By the way I don't mean diet, I mean healthier eating.

Peter_
08-03-2009, 20:16
You probably thought I was Molly but I liked the country name so chose it.

I do not think a drug is the way forward as it prevents you from learning how to eat healthier and that is what helps you succeed and Slimmers World just seem to give better and friendlier support especially with their Extra Easy eating plan.

I feel more confident and healthier plus I can fit into smaller clothes and I have thrown the big trousers away so I have nothing to wear if I fail, but kept one pair for future reference but not to wear, I have bought target clothes that are an incentive to lose weight and it will be such an achievement to fit into them and I will.

Tinky
09-03-2009, 07:52
Good for you Moldova! It's such a great feeling to be able to get back into smaller clothes (I do remember). It also gives you more interest in your appearance, and boosts your confidence, as you say. Well done, keep it up. Hope I can do the same, only time will tell. Now what's for breakfast? :)

Tinky
11-03-2009, 09:14
I am doing it Russ! What you said, and just eating when I feel peckish, works out roughly 4 times a day. Also still taking the capsules, feel more obliged now that I know how much they cost. Can't say I have noticed any discernable difference in my appetite, perhaps that's the purpose, to make it so imperceptible so as not to curb the appetite to the opposite extreme. Also perhaps it takes a few days for the effects to kick in. :)

Russ
11-03-2009, 09:24
Ok well obviously it's better if you read the book but what he also says is when you do eat, chew your food more. Not only does it make the food taste better (try it - it works!) but it gives you plenty of time to read the 'full' signals.

He reckons the feeling of 'full' comes just below your solar plexus, a few inches down from your breastbone.

lauzjp
12-03-2009, 16:32
Ok well obviously it's better if you read the book but what he also says is when you do eat, chew your food more. Not only does it make the food taste better (try it - it works!) but it gives you plenty of time to read the 'full' signals.

He reckons the feeling of 'full' comes just below your solar plexus, a few inches down from your breastbone.

I am always trying to get hubby to chew more, and take his time. :rolleyes: Not only for weight issues, but also he has acid reflux hoo-hah, and asthma.. lovely combination.

As for moi, as usual, I am far better at dishing out advice to other people than acting upon wisdom myself! Now which choccy bar shall I have with my 2 cans of lucozade alert for the evening shift tonight (which I also had for breakfast to stay awake for the early morning shift.

I have to say, Good Luck Tinky. Get an exercise dvd (I got Natalie Cassidy's for £2 in cex) or a piece of equipment (ebay for items local to you) like an air walker or an exercise bike - you can get as sweaty as you want at home! ;)

Tinky
12-03-2009, 18:44
I have to say, Good Luck Tinky. Get an exercise dvd (I got Natalie Cassidy's for £2 in cex) or a piece of equipment (ebay for items local to you) like an air walker or an exercise bike - you can get as sweaty as you want at home! ;)

Thanks for your support Laura! I get sweaty at home alright, but not with the equipment you mention lol! :D:D

Tinky
16-03-2009, 09:01
Lost 4lbs this week, not brilliant, but it's a start. :)

Peter_
16-03-2009, 09:23
Lost 4lbs this week, not brilliant, but it's a start. :):omg::cleader: That is an absolute fantastic weight loss and do not feel disheartened in the slightest.:cleader:

Even if you lose 1 pound a week it is a weight loss and in 14 weeks you would be 1 stone lighter.:soapbox:

As it is you only need to lose a further 10ib to reach a stone, keep up the good work and feel great about your weight loss never feel that you should have lost more or you will go backwards and we want you to go forwards. :clap:

Nidge
16-03-2009, 09:48
Lost 4lbs this week, not brilliant, but it's a start. :)

Well done Tinky any side effects? I notice you say it's not brilliant, healthy weight loss is around 2lbs a week..

Tinky
16-03-2009, 11:39
Moldova and Nidge, thanks for the support. So far no side effects with the Reductil, I am watching what I am eating , no fries and trying to stay off bread, trying to eat some fruit, cutting down on the wine. Only another 4 stone to go.:erm:

lauzjp
16-03-2009, 11:53
well done Tinky! :D

Tinky
17-03-2009, 08:24
Thank you Laura! By the way anyone thinking of taking Reductil, forget it, it doesn't work.