PDA

View Full Version : places to visit in england

wwe
02-03-2009, 17:19
hi all most of you will know i got 3 weeks off but ive got northing planed to do i live in blackpool so there not much to do here so i was planning to jump on the train and go some Attractions does anyone have any place they would reckomend going to

papa smurf
02-03-2009, 17:33
if i had 3 weeks all to myself i would get a back pack and a tent ,and just start walking ,and see some life and then at the end get the train home.

wwe
02-03-2009, 18:31
ill visit anywhere if its far on the train then ill even stop over for a few days i just don't have any idea where to go

Peter_
02-03-2009, 18:41
Do you want theme parks or a relaxing break or do you want to visit historic places or take in the views, is this a holiday alone or with a friend/s.

wwe
02-03-2009, 18:49
im going by myself i want to visit historice places and where there are places to walk with sight seeing

danielf
02-03-2009, 18:53
im going by myself i want to visit historice places and where there are places to walk with sight seeing

Well you're just a stone's throw from the lake district and the yorkshire dales. Very good for walking. York is nice as well by the way.

demented
02-03-2009, 18:59
If you have 3 weeks off I'd head to the Dales. As you wouldn't be in a rush you will enjoy just exploring places and the little inbetween bits rather than having a military operation planned. I will recommend Malham though ;) and Wharfdale.

lucy7
02-03-2009, 19:18
I would say get yourself up to The Yorkshire Dales also. Then get on the Settle and Carlise railway line, and then go up to Cumbria, stunning scenery, amazing hills, The Eden Valley is the most wonderful undiscovered area of Britain, as most head up to The Lakes instead, accomodation tends to be cheaper too.
You dont say when you are going, but The Appleby Horse Fair is always held in June, if thats your sort of thing.
Then up to scotland, and that world will be your oyster!

Three whole weeks, fantastic, you have a great time now!!

Peter_
02-03-2009, 20:22
You could walk the length of Hadrians wall and also visit the many historic sites on the route.

Damien
02-03-2009, 20:39
London. Unless you have been there too much already?

It has a host of historical and important locations, easy to get too, and you can spend days there looking at all the locations, museums and shops!

WHISTLED
02-03-2009, 20:41
Harpurhey Manchester!!

wwe
02-03-2009, 20:47
London. Unless you have been there too much already?

It has a host of historical and important locations, easy to get too, and you can spend days there looking at all the locations, museums and shops!

ive never been to london

Peter_
02-03-2009, 20:49
ive never been to london
The big plus is much of it is easily to access on foot, for everything else you have the Tube.

Damien
02-03-2009, 21:03
ive never been to london

Then I could not recommend another place that you must go too! :D The places people have suggested are good, and often overlooked, places but I do think a first visit to London would trump them all.

One of the greatest cities in the World, and rich in History! Think of all that's happened there! It was at one point the centre of the empire! Not to mention some of the famous residents and events!

Here are some of the places you could visit (I spilt them up into the locations which are near each other):

Tower of London
London Bridge
St Paul's Cathedral
The London Eye
Big Ben and Houses of Parliament
Buckingham Palace
Convent Garden, Leicester Square/Oxford Street/Regent Street
Hyde Park

The British Museum, The Science Museum/Natural History Museum and the Imperial War Museum to name a few of the museums which are good.

To name but a few of the ones I can think of right now. There is also a lot of areas which are just nice like Chelsea and South Kensington. The Tube will take you out to other places if you are so inclined such as Greenwich (which has the Observatory and the Greenwich Meridian Line). Although I would recommend the river boat from Westminster and along the Thames.

It's the capital of your country :) People travel from around the world to see it because it's arguably the most famous city in the world. It is the most visited. Your a train ride away and you have never seen it? Seems a really obvious choice :)

AndyCambs
02-03-2009, 21:31
If you have 3 weeks off I'd head to the Dales. As you wouldn't be in a rush you will enjoy just exploring places and the little inbetween bits rather than having a military operation planned. I will recommend Malham though ;) and Wharfdale.

Nice beer in Malham and Wharfedale pubs..

Matthew
03-03-2009, 00:30
North Yorkshire area very nice, another place I would recommend is Portsmouth with its historic ship yard and all that. Many places on the south coast area worth a visit.

danielf
03-03-2009, 00:39
Nice beer in Malham and Wharfedale pubs..

:LOL: There's two pubs and a tea room in Malham, and about 9 other buildings... Malham's very nice for walking though :)

tiger325
03-03-2009, 02:30
what a wonderful experience....

Scarlett
03-03-2009, 07:14
Why no let the trains decide? just get a back pack with about a weeks gear in and go to the train station and get the next train. Pick a destination it stops at, get off and ask what's there is that is interesting in the area. repeat for a week or so.

Maggy
03-03-2009, 07:41
If you visit London make sure you keep your ID,credit,debit cards and money well hidden from pickpockets..I'm pretty canny at hiding my money these days after being done twice by them in London..:mad:

Otherwise the only thing you have to worry about is the exorbitant prices for food and drink...especially a pint or a cuppa.

Transport is cheap and easily found and there is so much to see and visit.

However if you can bear to get to London...can I suggest you go a little further south and visit Historic Portsmouth..the birthplace of Dickens,home of Nelson's Victory and The Mary Rose and the Warrior with access to the Isle of Wight...Which is a wonderful touristy place to visit...Blackgang Chine,The Needles Lighthouse,Osborne House(Queen Victoria's seaside home) and innumerable attractions too many to mention here...;)

wwe
03-03-2009, 22:37
where the best sight seeing and lots of things to do and nice long walks

Damien
04-03-2009, 14:12
where the best sight seeing and lots of things to do and nice long walks

I would say London wins on the first two. Easily has the most sites and a ton of things to do. As for long walks I would say up north somewhere.

AndyCambs
04-03-2009, 16:35
Stay in bed and get up late every day!