PDA

View Full Version : How houseproud are you

zing_deleted
02-03-2009, 11:14
I was just doing me weekly hoover (yes you heard right ;)) and I was just thinking "I wonder how many people are as slack as me lol"

Part of my job is housecalls fixing pcs and I must admit some houses I visit appear spotless and it leads me to think that they must clean top to bottom every day? some have kids and I wonder how as this place does not look lived in?
Are they any other single males that live in their own place? how often do you clean ? is your place spotless? are there any others like me that has a lived in home?

Anyone here actually pay someone else to do it?

danielf
02-03-2009, 11:16

Yes, Money well spent :)

zing_deleted
02-03-2009, 11:18
How often do they come round? how much do they charge? do they go all through ? sorry for being nosey :)

MovedGoalPosts
02-03-2009, 11:25
Weekly hoover. :eek:

All I can say is "what is a hoover" :blush:

zing_deleted
02-03-2009, 11:28
Lol Rob do you own a eubank lol lol

danielf
02-03-2009, 11:42
How often do they come round? how much do they charge? do they go all through ? sorry for being nosey :)

They come once a week, for two hours (nominally). We have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the current lot, who are high-octane, in and out in a flash and little attention to detail. Having said that, they hoover and dust the whole house and clean the kitchen/bathroom. All that's left for us is the odd dishes that don't go in the dishwasher.

I think we pay around 8 quid an hour, but we haven't had a bill for almost a year now...

Fatec
02-03-2009, 11:43
Some clients houses i have visited have been utterly spotless too, despite having 2-3 kids, some are that clean you dare not touch anything lol..

Also visited some houses where it's clean but very untidy.

Mine is clean and tidy, most of the time, i hoover everyday though as everyone ignores me and just keeps their dirty shoes/trainers/boots on when they visit lol.

Swappin to wood flooring soon so that wont be a problem.

If anything i find the kitchen the hardest to keep clean, i cook large/exotic meals for 4-5 people every friday and nobody leaves till around 9-10pm so the kitchen stays in a mess till sunday (as saturdays i'm busy with work stuff), it only gets done on sunday because i cant stand the sight of too much mess lol.

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

They come once a week, for two hours (nominally). We have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the current lot, who are high-octane, in and out in a flash and little attention to detail. Having said that, they hoover and dust the whole house and clean the kitchen/bathroom. All that's left for us is the odd dishes that don't go in the dishwasher.

I think we pay around 8 quid an hour, but we haven't had a bill for almost a year now...

Lucky, i'd never trust people i dont know to do my housework as i have money left around the house...

pabscars
02-03-2009, 11:59
Fatec, you might find people tend to clean when they know someones coming, i know i do, as when i had vm install my services i made sure everywhere was spotless downstairs, paying particular attention to behind the telly, as its like a magnet for dust and dog hair. So i wouldnt worry too much.

One install chap actually commented on how clean it was behind the telly, and went on to tell me that in one house he worked at, it had (dog $%!t) behind the tv and all over the sofa, at which point he refused to do the install, he then went on to tell me, how he rang his super and told him, who didnt believe him untill he went to look for himself.

Both of which told the lady owner why they were not doing the install, at which point she flipped apparently and picked up a pair or scissors and went to stab one of the install guys.

Nice

Axegrinder
02-03-2009, 12:09
Fatec, you might find people tend to clean when they know someones coming, i know i do, as when i had vm install my services i made sure everywhere was spotless downstairs, paying particular attention to behind the telly, as its like a magnet for dust and dog hair. So i wouldnt worry too much.

One install chap actually commented on how clean it was behind the telly, and went on to tell me that in one house he worked at, it had (dog $%!t) behind the tv and all over the sofa, at which point he refused to do the install, he then went on to tell me, how he rang his super and told him, who didnt believe him untill he went to look for himself.

Both of which told the lady owner why they were not doing the install, at which point she flipped apparently and picked up a pair or scissors and went to stab one of the install guys.

Nice

:shocked::shocked::td:

Angua
02-03-2009, 12:22
Messy but clean (usually clean washing hanging around as I don't iron) & I wear out vacuum cleaners due to only using them occasionally so they have to work really hard :rofl:

Would love to be able to afford a cleaner

dilli-theclaw
02-03-2009, 12:27
Well I hoover once a week and tidy up when Peter's left.

But as they say every cloud has a silver lining.

I can't SEE the dust....

MUWAH HHA AHHAAH A HAHAH AA HAHAH

LondonRoad
02-03-2009, 12:33
Clean but seldom spotless. Never completely tidy. We quite easily achieve the lived in look because that's what a home is for. I know some of our neighbours restrict kids to only certain rooms but we take the view that it's our childrens's home as much as ours. Provided they tidy up afterwards they and their friend pretty much have free rein (within reason).

A 3 year olds version of tidying up differs from some of us who are a tad longer in the tooth but provided the effort is made we don't complain. :)

lucy7
02-03-2009, 12:58
I own a commercial contract cleaning company.
I set a job rate, not an hourly rate, and the most i can get off that is about £50 an hour, if you work it out that way.
When i started out, it was with the domestic side of cleaning, I then charged £15 an hour, that was about 5 years ago
Where theres muck thers brass, so we say up here!

We once got paid to go down to London, put up in a hotel, and cleaned one very large house from top to bottom, as their regular cleaners were rubbish, and the folks in question wanted their house bottoming.
They reckoned us northern ladies were the best at cleaning, didnt have the heart to tell them we all were southern by birth!
It was well worth our while, and we had a good night out as well.

I am very house proud, but not to the obsessionly way some can be.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness!

Chris
02-03-2009, 13:03
They reckoned us northern ladies were the best at cleaning, didnt have the heart to tell them we all were southern by birth!

Eee, by 'eck ... I 'ope thee put on accent t' keep they soft southerners 'appy? :D

pabscars
02-03-2009, 13:07
Eee, by 'eck ... I 'ope thee put on accent t' keep they soft southerners 'appy? :D

:LOL::clap:

Derek
02-03-2009, 15:55
it had (dog $%!t) behind the tv and all over the sofa,

Thats one thing I can't abide. I'm in and out of a variety of houses and the amount of houses with dog excrement on carpets and furniture is shocking. That coupled with the inevitable piles of unwashed clothes and dirty dishes in every available space gives me the boke every time. :sick:
It still amazes me people live like that in the UK and that its so common.

I'm not the tidyest person in the world but at least I know my house isn't potentially harbouring biological weapons.

LondonRoad
02-03-2009, 15:58
I'm not the tidyest person in the world but at least I know my house isn't potentially harbouring biological weapons.

Don't tempt fate. Tony Blair might have a dossier that "proves" otherwise. ;)

Derek
02-03-2009, 16:00
Don't tempt fate. Tony Blair might have a dossier that "proves" otherwise. ;)

If there was oil under the streets of Glasgow I'd be worried :shocked:

superbiatch
02-03-2009, 16:06
Well I work 60 hours per week most weeks and don't intend on spending all my spare time cleaning.

I will however tidy as I go and get the hoover out (even though i have all wooden floors!) at least once a week. I'm terrible for leaving dishes waiting to be washed, I tend to rinse them and do a 'big wash' once a few days.

Life is for living, not cleaning (or working - more to the point!)

Uncle Peter
02-03-2009, 16:19
I vacuum people before they come into the house. Saves having to do the floor every other day ;)

It's always kept spotless in here but there's far too much clutter. My solution in the Spring is to do away with as many flat surfaces as possible so there's nowhere to put anything down.

moaningmags
02-03-2009, 16:23
I used to go to people's houses collecting for Provident. In my experience, the people who lived in the filthiest houses were the ones who paid the full amount they were meant to, never missing a payment.
The people in the houses that were spotless and had the big TV, the big fireplace and the expensive suite were the ones who hid when I came calling or paid less than they were meant to.

My youngest was away for 5 days last week and in an experiment hubby n I decided to only do our own washing, letting the 3 elder kids do their own. It was soooooooo hard to not to just put the damn stuff in the machine.
The bathroom sink which was spotless on the Sunday night was covered in soap, toothpaste and dried dirty water by the Tuesday. At which point I cracked, cleaned the whole house and spent the rest of the week moaning at them.

Maggy
02-03-2009, 16:24
I might hoover every day..I might not..Depends on how much it needs hoovering and whether the old man is working nights..

Dusting well I subscribe to the Quentin Crisp idea on that.Leave it long enough and the dust starts to remain at a certain level.I.E. it doesn't get any thicker or worse.

Then hubby gets annoyed and gets the duster out...

Ironing..I don't iron.any ironing gets folded up and handed to it's owner.Then it's their responsibility.;)

Washing gets done every day.

Washing up EVERY day and at EVERY meal.Kitchen gets a good clean over 2-3 time a a week.Bathroom gets done once a week unless someone has been totally incontinent...but usually I'm chucking summat chemical down the toilet bowl everyday...

My biggest bugbear is the stove.I hate cleaning it..It needs doing again but I've got to work all week..so it will have to wait.

Matthew
03-03-2009, 00:34
I still live at home and my Dad used to keep the place spotless but now doesnt have the energy or the support of my Mum. I live in my room and like to keep it at clean as possible but now working from home and doing computer repairs it gets in a bit of a state. I am currently waiting to move out and get my own place where I can get sorted and actually stop living out of boxes!

tiger325
03-03-2009, 02:53
yea im pretty clean i guess

Nidge
03-03-2009, 10:05
I like to keep a clean place, you never know who's going to visit. Same with underpants I always wear a clean pair incase I get run over, I'd hate it for the nurses to pull my trollys down and for them to be dirty.

zing_deleted
03-03-2009, 11:56
depending on the accident they could well be freshly soiled anyway ;)

pabscars
03-03-2009, 14:47
What if you go commando ?

fireman328
03-03-2009, 15:03
I was just doing me weekly hoover (yes you heard right ;)) and I was just thinking "I wonder how many people are as slack as me lol"

Part of my job is housecalls fixing pcs and I must admit some houses I visit appear spotless and it leads me to think that they must clean top to bottom every day? some have kids and I wonder how as this place does not look lived in?
Are they any other single males that live in their own place? how often do you clean ? is your place spotless? are there any others like me that has a lived in home?

When the g/f comes round I make an attempt at it but she always gives me grief and then does it anyway lol

lauzjp
03-03-2009, 16:48
:erm: there's always something else to do... or like today, I was going to wash up and tidy the kitchen. But our flat is freezing and I just couldn't face it. Maybe I'll post here and go sort it out. :o:

Paul
03-03-2009, 16:59
I dont need to pay anyone, I have someone to do it free ;)

lucy7
03-03-2009, 17:17
I dont need to pay anyone, I have someone to do it free ;)

Is that your good lady then???;)

Wayfair
03-03-2009, 18:30
I live on my own with a daughter who comes and stops over about twice a week, bathroom and shower room gets the chemicals and green rough sponge thing once a month, toilet always a chemical init,hoover living room through to the kitchen once a week, dust and hoover all over once a month, washing up get done in the dishwasher when I run out of pots or my guests are fed up drinking out of the gravy boat, but as I work long shifts some days I might not even eat here.
Washed clothes hung up waiting to be ironed and they stay that way for a while.

Untidy most times but not dirty..

Oh and I have finally sold the motorbike I kept in the dinning room, there is now a big ass treadmill there.

xpod
03-03-2009, 18:45
This topic is the cause of much ....erm.....debate in our house.
Sometimes i forget i actually have the large family i do it`s that bloody clean & tidy all the time.
Not just that but this strange need to constantly replace kitchen utensils all the time.Kettles,Cutlery sets,China sets etc.....we have new lots every other month sometimes.I`m sick of redecorating kitchens because she fancies a different colour kettle & toaster.... :rolleyes: