PDA

View Full Version : RFID @ train stations?

dragon
26-02-2009, 00:37
They've just replaced the ticket barriers in my local train station with new ones, (apperently to widen them or something) I notice some of the new ones now have RFID readers on them simular to the ones in London for the oyster card.

Does anyone know if there are plans to expand oyster outside of London (or impliment a simular system)?

Chris
26-02-2009, 09:11
Where are you talking about? Glasgow? Grimsby? Exeter? Or somewhere close to London? It's a bit difficult to speculate if you don't give us a clue where you are.

haydnwalker
26-02-2009, 09:24
Leeds train station has something like that - though its the only train station i know with the fancy ticket readers because Doncaster doesn't have it and I don't travel on trains that often.

BBKing
26-02-2009, 09:27
SWT are implementing the ITSO smartcard standard as part of their franchise agreement, so if you're in Hampshire, Berkshire, Surrey or similar, that's what they are. They're also *supposed* to be implementing Oyster PAYG in the London area, but there's no official date yet (2010 is possible). My local station is SWT and it's annoying, not least because the ticket machines are often broken and getting on a train without a ticket is a bit trickier these days with barriers at Waterloo. Used to get a lot of free trips.

The other rail companies in London should also allow Oyster later this year after being handed large enough wads of taxpayer's money.

dragon
26-02-2009, 10:29
SWT are implementing the ITSO smartcard standard as part of their franchise agreement, so if you're in Hampshire, Berkshire, Surrey or similar, that's what they are. They're also *supposed* to be implementing Oyster PAYG in the London area, but there's no official date yet (2010 is possible). My local station is SWT and it's annoying, not least because the ticket machines are often broken and getting on a train without a ticket is a bit trickier these days with barriers at Waterloo. Used to get a lot of free trips.

The other rail companies in London should also allow Oyster later this year after being handed large enough wads of taxpayer's money.

Ahh yeah I'm in a SWT area ;)
Although the train I usually catch is FGW

Be nice if they do roll these things out, saves fumbling for the ticket everytime and holding people up.

(I know someone one will say oh but they can track your journey blah blah, but lets face it if you have a mobile phone you can already be tracked)

AndyCambs
26-02-2009, 12:26
Leeds train station has something like that - though its the only train station i know with the fancy ticket readers because Doncaster doesn't have it and I don't travel on trains that often.

I understand Leeds is a ball, since the Metro cards (local season tickets) aren't compatible...