PDA

View Full Version : gravy - thick or thin

papa smurf
22-02-2009, 13:42
every sunday there is a heated discussion in my house ,about the quality of the lunchtime gravy , i think it should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon ,the opposing view is it should be as thin as possible ,what are your views

Hugh
22-02-2009, 13:44
Thick and sticky - yummmmmmmm!

lynx66
22-02-2009, 13:49
Thort this was a Cable Forum not a Cookery forum!! :td:

papa smurf
22-02-2009, 13:52

this is in lifestyle "A place to discuss Motoring, Fashion, Hobbies, Food & Drink..."

icestar2
22-02-2009, 13:53

Oh come on grow up there is no need for that. Take a look around a bit more and you will see this is a community that discusses many things.

To OP I like both so it depends what am eating. I think diffrent gravy's can fit diffrent meals well :) Plus a change is always nice.

Raistlin
22-02-2009, 14:01
Depends.

Thick and stick on things like chips, and on or in pies. Thick and stick is also best on heavier meats (nicely cooked beef).

Thinner is better for chicken and more delicate meats in my opinion.

superbiatch
22-02-2009, 14:06
Thick and lots of it mmmmmmmmm ;)

peanut
22-02-2009, 14:16
If anyone needs a great recipe for the best gravy for lamb let me know. Though I do need recipes for any other types. Hint hint.....

Tezcatlipoca
22-02-2009, 14:24
I voted for "No gravy".

Can't stand it.

joglynne
22-02-2009, 14:34
I don't mind either way as long as I don't have to cut it with a knife. :)

Halcyon
22-02-2009, 14:45
Nither too thin or too thick. In between.

It has to be thin enough to be soaked up by the roast potatoes and yorkshire puddings.

lauzjp
22-02-2009, 15:28
who voted for 'other' - what is this other?! :confused:

I love gravy, not too thick, but definately thick as opposed to gravy you can see through that you get in some pubs and restaurants!

And I have to say - I honestly can't tell the difference between asda's smartprice one + bisto. ;)

papa smurf
22-02-2009, 15:32
[QUOTE=lauzjp;34738320]who voted for 'other' - what is this other?! :confused:

i put it in the pole for the ketchup /sauce lovers

icestar2
22-02-2009, 15:36
I clicked other because as I said before depends what am having it with. Maybe an option for both would of been better.

Uncle Peter
22-02-2009, 16:10
On the runny side but not watery transparent. Preferably made with some red wine of course :D

Stuart
22-02-2009, 16:21
I like gravy either way.

What I don't like is when people drop other things, like onions, mushrooms and even walnuts into it..

A certain family member does that, and their gravy is more like a stew.

Bulky
22-02-2009, 16:22
us northerners love our gravy , mmmmmmmm , thick with a nice wine as a base

CycoSymz
22-02-2009, 16:29
I love thick gravy...if you can pour it, then it's not thick enough :D

2 slices for me please.

Halcyon
22-02-2009, 17:22
Aaaaaaaaaaah, Bisto.

alferret
22-02-2009, 17:27
I prefer a thicker gravy. Take today, we had lamb & I used 3 oxo lamb stock cubes and some veggie gravy to thicken it up. Bloody wonderful :)

Maggy
22-02-2009, 17:31
Ah the old 'moving or set' as my husband calls it..

Sorry but I hate thin gravy...it ends up staying on the plate and not on my meat...

lauzjp
22-02-2009, 18:07
I prefer a thicker gravy. Take today, we had lamb & I used 3 oxo lamb stock cubes and some veggie gravy to thicken it up. Bloody wonderful :)

isn't veggie gravy ace! Perfect for when I'm making something in the slow cooker but not necessarily calling for beef flavoured thickeningness. :)

Nidge
22-02-2009, 19:11
Very thick indeed.

superbiatch
22-02-2009, 19:14
I was a bit disappointed with mum's gravy today, way too thin :doh:

Down the Pub
22-02-2009, 21:00
I love thick gravy...if you can pour it, then it's not thick enough :D

2 slices for me please.

exactly, even better of you can trowel it on and - who needs concrete when tesco has a big supply of gravy granules.

the missus on the other hand can't stand it on dinner - although i have never managed to fathom out why she likes it on chips and not roast dinner or any other dinner, just chips. i can accept that. but she doesn't like custard either - must have a thing against pouring sauces, thats just wrong to not like custard ;)

Mr_love_monkey
22-02-2009, 21:16
What a pointless question....

Of course it's thick gravy, is there any other kind? :D

Saaf_laandon_mo
22-02-2009, 23:22
walnuts in Gravy???!!!!!!

Anyway, thick for me...

Help!!!
22-02-2009, 23:28
It has to be thick, there is no other kind!

AbyssUnderground
23-02-2009, 10:25
Definitely thick :)

Angua
23-02-2009, 11:09
Thin with beef, thick with chicken! Or the lighter the meat the thicker the gravy and none of that instant or packet stuff either https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/04/2.gif

lucy7
25-02-2009, 20:06
Always prefered a thick one my self.

Prefer real stuff to bisto though!

bmxbandit
25-02-2009, 20:23
who voted for 'other' - what is this other?! :confused:
Dilatant, pseudoplastic, thixotropic or otherwise rheopectic I would imagine. Most gravy is probably slightly pseudoplastic anyway, though.

:D

Splinter question - I wonder what the correlation between gravy and custard preferences is...

papa smurf
25-02-2009, 20:30
[QUOTE=bmxbandit;34740518]Dilatant, pseudoplastic, thixotropic or otherwise rheopectic I would imagine. Most gravy is probably slightly pseudoplastic anyway, though.

thank you sir issac---- perhaps you could come up with a theory of gravy tee:D

papa smurf
08-03-2009, 11:30
the poll is closed and the thicks have it by a mile .
so come on all you thin gravyists its time to change your ways and start making proper gravy :D

Angua
08-03-2009, 12:14
the poll is closed and the thicks have it by a mile .
so come on all you thin gravyists its time to change your ways and start making proper gravy :D

No gravy today just home made from scratch parsley sauce :rofl:

papa smurf
08-03-2009, 13:28

thick i hope

Maggy
08-03-2009, 13:55

Snap!

Along with boiled bacon joint,new potatoes and peas..the family favourite.:)

kingbuxton
10-03-2009, 00:36
Thick, always. I want the gravy attached to the food, not creating a lake on the plate that I have to soak into some bread, or, scrape into a pool with the last bit of meat and drink off the plate. Oh yeah, I am that guy.

Maybe other means Mint/Apple sauce?

Along with boiled bacon joint

I have no idea what that is, but by God it is making my drunken mouth salivate.

Whatever happened to "Live and Let Live? Paul McCartney?

wwe
10-03-2009, 01:32
i work at kfc and all the people that come in want it think really thick if its to thin or like water they bring it back

Saaf_laandon_mo
10-03-2009, 08:50
Gravy at KFC? I've never had gravy and chips from the chippy (probably because I live in London and not up north - not seen it in any of my local chippies). Can someone explain what the Gravy on chips is? Is it like traditional gravy? Or something else?

superbiatch
10-03-2009, 10:25
Gravy at KFC? I've never had gravy and chips from the chippy (probably because I live in London and not up north - not seen it in any of my local chippies). Can someone explain what the Gravy on chips is? Is it like traditional gravy? Or something else?

It can't just be plain old gravy, its gotta be thick! You tend to get onion and mushroom in it (or at least the flavour) and its usually so thick that it doesn't dribble through and collect at the bottom, just sits on top - waiting to be eaten. Oh god, i'm so hungry now :erm:

I also like chips and gravy sandwiches (or butties as we call them in Liverpool :p:)

kingbuxton
10-03-2009, 12:47
Is it like traditional gravy?

It isn't a Bisto type of thing, it is a lot darker, I think it might just be a concentrated beef gravy, and I wasn't aware it was a Northern only thing, I assumed it would be a Chippy standard. I would complain if I were you.

I don't see the point of Chips n Sausage if there is no gravy with it.

Saaf_laandon_mo
10-03-2009, 13:15
Ive seen chips with curry sauce. Even chips and cheese is not that common down south, and I have seen that at most takeaways in Scotland.

I am absolutely starving now.

bjorkiii
15-03-2009, 14:37
Is cornflour the only thing that can be used to thicken gravy or is there any other anyother ingredient that can be used ? do many peoople have onion gravy on a sunday roast ?

joglynne
15-03-2009, 17:08
Is cornflour the only thing that can be used to thicken gravy or is there any other anyother ingredient that can be used ? do many peoople have onion gravy on a sunday roast ?

I use plain flour to make my gravy. Stirring it into the juices from the meat over a medium heat until it bubbles then adding extra stock until it's just right.....lovely.

icestar2
15-03-2009, 17:17
Wow this thread makes one very hungry lol.

I was very surprised to see that some chippy's dont do gravy ? thats like a sin or something lol. I thought all chippys did gravy and curry as its like their 2 main sauces I would of though. Look at that you learn something new everyday :)

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

I also like chips and gravy sandwiches (or butties as we call them in Liverpool :p:)

Agreed :) cant beat a good chip butty haha. I can have gravy or curry myself just depends what I fancy on my chips at the time.

Damn am even more hungry now lol.

papa smurf
15-03-2009, 17:48
behold salvation chip shop curry sauce

Angua
16-03-2009, 08:08
Wow this thread makes one very hungry lol.

I was very surprised to see that some chippy's dont do gravy ? thats like a sin or something lol. I thought all chippys did gravy and curry as its like their 2 main sauces I would of though. Look at that you learn something new everyday :)

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

Agreed :) cant beat a good chip butty haha. I can have gravy or curry myself just depends what I fancy on my chips at the time.

Damn am even more hungry now lol.

No Gravy down here at the chippy and it is only in the last few years they do curry sauce. Gravy didn't seem to be an option where hubby comes from in the Midlands but they do batter the chips :erm:

Another plain flour in the juices gravy method user here with a touch of gravy browning if it looks a bit peaky and a good slosh of wine & vegetable water rather than stock for us.