PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned?

pgchimp
21-02-2009, 15:56
I rang VM customer services 10 days ago to request a new Virgin phone line and 10 meg broadband as a new customer.

Anyway they are comming out on Tuesday morning to install and i was told i would receive details in the post. Today i received a welcome letter confirming

Name
Bank account
Bank sort code

VM reference number along with VM contact details of 150 free calls

What bothers me i have not received anything else

IE SSID NUMBER
Network key
password
e mail address
amount of billing
package i signed up for
copy of contract explaining right to cancel with 28 days if not happy
New phone number
router/modem

am i worrying needlessly as i still havent cancelled any of my existing services
IE BT phone line
call package from sky
Broadband from sky

Any thoughts welcome

nodrogd
21-02-2009, 17:34
This sounds normal prior to the install date. The engineer will bring two cables into the house, a standard telephone line for the phone, and a co-axial cable that attaches to the modem (provided). He should then activte the modem for you, and when you start up your browser for the first time you will be taken through your account setup automatically.

chickendippers
21-02-2009, 18:56
The DD confirmation letter is normal. However you should receive a welcome pack prior to installation with your account number, username (used for creating email addresses) and password on it. You should also receive a letter confirming what services you've ordered, but I can't remember if that's included in the welcome pack now.

I'm not sure if you get a contract to sign when you just take phone/bb, the only thing I had to sign was the rental agreement for my STB.

Your SSID, network key etc will all be included with your wireless router (assuming you ordered one) which will arrive by courier before your installation.

Are you not transferring your phone number across?

Down the Pub
21-02-2009, 21:11
The DD confirmation letter is normal. However you should receive a welcome pack prior to installation with your account number, username (used for creating email addresses) and password on it. You should also receive a letter confirming what services you've ordered, but I can't remember if that's included in the welcome pack now.

I'm not sure if you get a contract to sign when you just take phone/bb, the only thing I had to sign was the rental agreement for my STB.

Your SSID, network key etc will all be included with your wireless router (assuming you ordered one) which will arrive by courier before your installation.

Are you not transferring your phone number across?

i thought that the engie's brought the routers with the modems, at least they did when they came to reinstall mine.

and there are (if i remember correctly) 2 copies of the letter of contract detailing your services - one of which is supposed to be signed and returned.

chickendippers
21-02-2009, 23:37
i thought that the engie's brought the routers with the modems, at least they did when they came to reinstall mine.Fair enough, they might have changed it. When I was installed in July the router was sent by courier in advance.

There are (if i remember correctly) 2 copies of the letter of contract detailing your services - one of which is supposed to be signed and returned.That's the rental agreement for the STB, not relevant to the OP as they're not taking a TV service.

Although you might as well take the M TV package as it's free with the landline.

KingDaveRa
22-02-2009, 19:15
I had a very recent install:

1. Week before install (i think), received a Direct Debit confirmation to sign and send back

2. Few days before installation, received a more detailed welcome pack with terms of service and other bumph, plus my username and password, which I never once needed nor used (plus they look generic anyway).

3. Day before installation, the coax cable mysteriously appeared coiled up on top of our hedge.

4. Day of installation, the installer appeared (didn't show me his ID, so get sent back to his van to get it), and brought the modem, router, and a setup CD. He started telling me about installing stuff, then I think he noticed all my other kit and twigged I wouldn't want to do that, so left me to it and I pretty much set the rest up myself - he got me as far as the first signup page, gulped down his cup of coffee in about 10 seconds, then left.

Fastest installation of anything I've had I think.

chickendippers
22-02-2009, 19:46
plus my username and password, which I never once needed nor used (plus they look generic anyway).
You need it to login to Selfcare to upgrade your internet connection, manage webspace and setup email addresses.

KingDaveRa
22-02-2009, 23:15
Ohhh.

But it's very generic looking. as in both contain the words 'user' and 'pass'.

Unless the mailmerge failed when they printed it!

Plus I can already log into that using the email address I setup during the signup.

moaningmags
22-02-2009, 23:21
It means you didn't get the info.
Your username is similar to ab001c1234 with a password.
A call to 151, pass DPA, and they'll give you the required info.

BenMcr
22-02-2009, 23:30
What bothers me i have not received anything else

IE SSID NUMBER
Network key

These are created by you at Router/Broadband set up

password
e mail address

Depending where you live these are also created at Broadband set up (in ex-ntl areas)

amount of billing
package i signed up for
copy of contract explaining right to cancel with 28 days if not happy

These will be arriving shortly
New phone number
Depends if you want one or want to keep your BT number (see below)

router/modem
Engineer will definately bring the modem and should bring the router (if the order has been keyed correctly)

am i worrying needlessly as i still havent cancelled any of my existing services
IE BT phone line
call package from sky
Broadband from sky

Any thoughts welcome
You do need to cancel the call package and broadband with Sky. Virgin cannot do this

As for the BT line it all depends:

1) Number transfer arranged - You don't need to do anything. The BT account will close after the transfer has completed
2) Number transfer not arranged and you want to keep your number - tell Virgin once the line is installed. They will transfer the number and BT account will close after it has completed
3) Number transfer not arranged and you don't want to keep your number - You need to let BT know to close the account

That's the rental agreement for the STB, not relevant to the OP as they're not taking a TV service.
It's been changed - if you are a new customer they do ask for a copy of the contract back no matter the services.

The only time they don't ask for anything back if you are adding things onto an existing account - however they will send you written confirmation of the changes

Although you might as well take the M TV package as it's free with the landline.
Unless you have a BB/Phone deal that excludes the TV ;)

KingDaveRa
23-02-2009, 15:29
It means you didn't get the info.
Your username is similar to ab001c1234 with a password.
A call to 151, pass DPA, and they'll give you the required info.

Nope, not got that. How odd.

Like I say, I can get into the customer centre though. I might give them a bell and find out anyway.