PDA

View Full Version : Help with a presentation

Nugget
19-02-2009, 17:43
Hi Guys and Gals,

As you may know, I've got a 2nd interview tomorrow, and I found out earlier that I need to do a presentation (only about 5 minutes). The theme of the presentation is "Life of a tin of tuna in the last 10 years"...

Unfortunately, having racked what remains of my brains for the last several hours, I've completely come up a blank - has anyone got any suggestions?

TIA :tu:

Wayfair
19-02-2009, 17:48
Not sure what job you are going for but I would put a funny slant on the presentation, something along lines of the tin of tuna sat in the cupboard / store room / corner of warehouse for 10 yrs and the things it sees whilst it's in there.

lucy7
19-02-2009, 17:56
I hate stuff like that!

Nearly as bad as what animal would you be and why?!

I think the above poster has got one hell of a good idea though, seeing life though the tin, that could be in a number of situations.....

On the shelf with all the other tins, always pushed to the back, the last left on the shelf, but still never chosen!

Relate it to seeking a job even, if you dare!

All the best for tomorrow, you gonna let us know what you do????

Lucy.

Raistlin
19-02-2009, 18:11
You could always say you misheard them and do a biographical presentation:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/55.jpg

Nugget
19-02-2009, 18:15
You could always say you misheard them and do a biographical presentation:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/55.jpg

Well, she has got fishlips, I s'pose ;)

Wayfair
19-02-2009, 18:21
Well, she has got fishlips, I s'pose ;)

You must be able to see further down the pic than I can then, or you are real real good friends.

Nugget
19-02-2009, 18:43
You must be able to see further down the pic than I can then, or you are real real good friends.

There's an image that really isn't helping with this bloody presentation... ;)

punky
19-02-2009, 18:55
You work for food standards don't you? Maybe do a diary-style presentation charting your life from the day you were caught and the day you were eaten with emphasis on safe food preparation. Although you can eat tuna raw can't you? :p:

Nugget
19-02-2009, 19:00
You work for food standards don't you? Maybe do a diary-style presentation charting your life from the day you were caught and the day you were eaten with emphasis on safe food preparation. Although you can eat tuna raw can't you? :p:

That's actually the lines I was working along :)

Oh, and yes, you can eat tuna raw, but I wouldn't 'cos it's rank :D

lucy7
19-02-2009, 19:05

Now then.......thats just darn naughty!!!:D

Hugh
19-02-2009, 19:16
Just in case the 10 years was a part of a trick question, googling "shelf life" and "canned tuna" give you this. (http://www.querycat.com/question/ee2c274cdc04ffeda462b894101ff47f)

Canned tuna is one of the most shelf-stable food products available, and can be safely stored in a pantry for several years. The shelf-life of canned tuna is generally "advertised" as three (3) years. However, if properly stored in a dry pantry, the actual shelf-life of canned tuna can be as long as 10 years, provided that the integrity of the can has not been compromised due to damage or corrosion. Canned tuna can be refrigerated for up to three (3) days after opening without spoiling

or, if you want to baffle/dazzle them, try this (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_Shelf_life_of_caned_tuna) - CHANGES OF OMEGA-3 FATTY ACID CONTENT AND LIPID COMPOSITION IN CANNED TUNA DURING 12-MONTH STORAGE

The effect of storage time on the concentration and lipid and fatty acid compositions of canned tuna in brine was studied. Lipid and fatty acid were analyzed during 0, 3, 6, 9 and 12 months of storage at room temperature. Concentrations of lipids and total saturated fatty acids were significantly increased after storage for 9 months. The concentrations of total polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), total n-3 and n-6 PUFA were significantly stepwise decreased with increased storage time (P < 0.05); 22:6n-3 and 22:5n-3 started to decrease significantly at 6 months, and 20:5n-3 and 20:4n-6 decreased at 3 months (P < 0.05). The n-3/n-6 ratio significantly decreased from 3.8 at 0 month to 3.2 at 9 months (P < 0.05). Cholesterol ester was significantly increased while the other four classes of lipids, namely, phospholipids, triacylglycerols, free fatty acids and sterols, showed an opposite trend during 12 months of storage. Lipid oxidation measured by peroxide value and thiobarbituric acid value showed gradual increases with storage time. Thus, canned tuna in brine should not be stored more than 6 months with consideration of the stability of n-3 fatty acids.

btw, if you are using powerpoint, after the introductory slides (name, presentation), the general guidelines are
usually 1 slide per minute,
don't put on the powerpoint what you are saying (the powerpoint should illustrate your speaking part of the presentation, not repeat it), so graphics rather than words
at the end - Any questions (and prepare for them)

I was alway taught the basic rule of a presentation was
Tell them what you are going to tell them (intro)
Tell them
Tell them what you told them (summary)

hth

punky
19-02-2009, 19:25
That's actually the lines I was working along :)

Oh, and yes, you can eat tuna raw, but I wouldn't 'cos it's rank :D

Great minds and all that. :)

A buzz topic atm is about mercury in seafood and the danger to pregnant women/baby, so maybe put that in there somewhere.

3:00pm "With the amount of mercury around here, I hope I don't get eaten by a pregnant woman and harm her baby. That would suck".

Maggy
19-02-2009, 20:14
You might need to add the old dolphin friendly angle to that tin of tuna too and the different sorts of canned tuna..in brine,olive oil,sunflower oil,springwater etc..;)

Something about the attitude of the public to canned tuna in those ten years and how it's changed.

Nugget
19-02-2009, 21:34
Thanks for your help guys - I've currently written nearly 700 words, and have just got my summary to do. If I can slow my speech down (I do have a Brummys tendency to babble), that should cover my 5 minutes :)

cookie_365
19-02-2009, 21:45
I suppose this is a bit late now, but if it was me I'd turn it around, and imagine a tin of tuna that had been sitting on the shelf for 10 years watching the customers of the supermarket. You could then talk about what the tin has seen; the way shoppers' behaviour has changed over the last 10 years. If there's some food standards issue that relates to changes in shoppers behaviour you could use that to bring the presentation back to some 'food standards shop talk'.

Risky, but you'll stand out among 5 other people showing powerpoint slides with graphs of typical salt levels.

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

PS 5 minutes is not long at all - make sure you time yourself in the practice run :)

Nugget
19-02-2009, 21:46
I suppose this is a bit late now, but if it was me I'd turn it around, and imagine a tin of tuna that had been sitting on the shelf for 10 years watching the customers of the supermarket. You could then talk about what the tin has seen; the way shoppers' behaviour has changed over the last 10 years. If there's some food standards issue that relates to changes in shoppers behaviour you could use that to bring the presentation back to some 'food standards shop talk'.

Risky, but you'll stand out among 5 other people showing powerpoint slides with graphs of typical salt levels.

I tried to do that, but the problem I had was that I have absolutely no way of knowing if the company (who I really would like to work for ;) ) wanted something funny, 'out there', or straight. What I've tried to do (and hope I've managed), is to get a little bit of everything in. Fingers crossed for it, so we'll see tomorrow.

If anyone wants to see what I've done, just let me know, and I'll send you a copy (you geeks ;) ) :)

cookie_365
19-02-2009, 22:04
Yes, and possibly even the company hasn't decided what they want either!

Anyhow, good luck for tomorrow; don't spend all night tweaking your stuff; get yourself an early night - much better return :)

homealone
19-02-2009, 22:09
I tried to do that, but the problem I had was that I have absolutely no way of knowing if the company (who I really would like to work for ;) ) wanted something funny, 'out there', or straight. What I've tried to do (and hope I've managed), is to get a little bit of everything in. Fingers crossed for it, so we'll see tomorrow.

If anyone wants to see what I've done, just let me know, and I'll send you a copy (you geeks ;) ) :)

I think you've had some great suggestions & can't add anything other than to wish you all the best for the interview - oh & you already know I'm a geek so a copy of the presentation would be great :)

Damien
19-02-2009, 22:10
I really like the idea of the Tuna can remaining set while the world around changes but the impact of that would be lost in speech or on paper. You would really need compelling visuals to make that work.

Nugget
19-02-2009, 22:12
I think you've had some great suggestions & can't add anything other than to wish you all the best for the interview - oh & you already know I'm a geek so a copy of the presentation would be great :)

If you can remind me what your e-mail address is again (:erm:), I'll send you a copy now :)

homealone
19-02-2009, 22:38
If you can remind me what your e-mail address is again (:erm:), I'll send you a copy now :)

pm sent :)