PDA

View Full Version : Windows continuous reboot

John123
07-02-2009, 12:35
I've just installed a Netgear wgr614 but as soon as I finish the installation process Windows reboots and continues to do so.
I've stopped it in safe mode and restored to an earlier date.

Tried re-installing but the same thing happens.
M/c is running XP

Tried the Virgin help line who suggested I get a computer engineer to check my m/c (very helpful!) although it's working fine until I install the wireless network

Any ideas?

Dai
07-02-2009, 12:44
Go to "System properties" (kbd shortcut is winkey + Break) Advanced tab.

In 'startup & recovery'/settings untick the box for 'automatically restart'

Now when it fails you should get a bluescreen with some error data. If you could post that it would be helpful to see what is happening.

zing_deleted
07-02-2009, 12:48
faulty ethernet cable?

you do not need to install anything on the pc for this to work

Dai
07-02-2009, 22:24
faulty ethernet cable?

you do not need to install anything on the pc for this to work

Presumably this is software that is supposed to run a 'wizard' to assist in setting up the wireless side.

I'd be tempted to do a system restore again and try to do the setup manually via your browser. There should be details in the manual.

zing_deleted
07-02-2009, 22:25
yeah but in theory that does not install anything just sets up the router via a browser?

djmagnifique
07-02-2009, 23:02
Boot into safe mode with networking, go to the 'run' option in the start menu, type 'msconfig' and press ok.

Click on the startup tab and you will see a list of programs set to start up when the pc is turned on.

goto this site http://www.sysinfo.org/ and enter what it says under 'Startup Item' in the 'Startup information' search box.

This will tell you if any of your startup items shouldn't be there.

if you have anything that looks like 'C:\windows\*.bat' or any other .bat files in your startup untick the box and reboot into full windows. (I once had a virus that constantly rebooted the pc and it turned out to be a .bat file running on startup causing it)

John123
08-02-2009, 13:19
The problem seems to be the RT2500 USB Wireless LAN card I've got. As soon as I enable this the m/c goes into reboot mode. I've disabled the automatic reboot and get an error message indicating the network card and the only way I can get things back to normal is by restoring to an earlier date. I've tried downloading a new driver but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

zing_deleted
08-02-2009, 13:22
is this a tower? perhaps try the card in a different pci slot? possible irq conflict? if its a laptop then I would guess you have a card fault

Dai
08-02-2009, 13:22
The problem seems to be the RT2500 USB Wireless LAN card I've got. As soon as I enable this the m/c goes into reboot mode. I've disabled the automatic reboot and get an error message indicating the network card and the only way I can get things back to normal is by restoring to an earlier date. I've tried downloading a new driver but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Can you try it on a different machine to see if the problem carries across?

If so, it looks likely you have a faulty item.

zing_deleted
08-02-2009, 13:25
is this a tower? perhaps try the card in a different pci slot? possible irq conflict? if its a laptop then I would guess you have a card fault

i saw usb I am a noob

Dai
08-02-2009, 13:42
i saw usb I am a noob

lmfao..