PDA

View Full Version : can someone shed any light?...50mb issue

skwish
02-02-2009, 21:26
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone on here can be more helpful than VM's technical support.

Basicly I upgraded from 20mb to the 50mb connection last wednesday.
20mb was great btw, never had any problems (may possbly going back to it soon!)
From the get go i should have known i was in for trouble. When the technician installed the modem etc and done whatever checks he needed to he couldnt figure out why all the speedtests he did never got above 33mb.....but came to the conclusion it was 4pm, must be just peak time traffic and would be fine in an hour or so.....

Well it wasnt, and unfortunatly i still never get above 35mb, ive tried various speed tests, downloading from sites suggested on here, tucows, filehippo....they all start off great 4+ but quickly slow down to 1.5 or less for the majority of the download.

Ive spoken to VM technical staff 3 or 4 times since the install....all ran the same tests, all with the same results, all passing the buck and getting someone 'qualified' to ring me back......

Then today a technician came out and before he'd even steped foot into the house he informed me there wasnt any point him being here as it was a speed issue, not a connection issue and there was nothing he could do besides check the line, which he did then left after 2 mins telling me to phone technical support.....and the circle begins again lol

Now im being told it may be a network card issue and someone will be calling me in the morning to run a diagnostics test.....so before they try and fob me off again, could someone with a wee bit more technical knowlege on these matters tell me if this card ---> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=4&l2=47&l3=160&l4=0&model=1995&modelmenu=2

is what could be the problem.

and just some other info incase anyone may have any other ideas....this is the specs of my pc as far as im aware

AMD athlon 64 X2 Duel Core Processor 4200+ 2.2GHz and 2gig of ram, XP Pro service pack 2.

Also the op installing the 50mb downloaded and installed the tcp/ip optimizer (which is usually what VM's tech team asks me first haha)

rant over 8o)

RubberyDuck
02-02-2009, 21:37
Just a guess, is your NIC running Full Duplex?

Also try running a Linux Live CD and see if you get better speed.

Also, the obvious try updating the NIC drivers, make sure they are the official ones not Microsoft.

broadbandking
02-02-2009, 21:57
Your not using a router are you?

skwish
02-02-2009, 22:09
Just a guess, is your NIC running Full Duplex?

Also try running a Linux Live CD and see if you get better speed.

Also, the obvious try updating the NIC drivers, make sure they are the official ones not Microsoft.

hi, thanks for the quick reply..yeah the drivers are the latest from the manufacturer site, well i say latest, from 2005.

How would i check to see if its running Full Duplex?

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Your not using a router are you?

no, straight through...also tried disabling my firewall, antivirus....running in safemode, still no joy 8o/

broadbandking
02-02-2009, 22:13
Control panel > Network connection > right click and click properties then click configure then look at the tabs and its should say advanced click that then look for Link speed/duplex mode and then click that and look to your right and see what the drop down menu has its should be on auto change it to full duplex and try different options.

skwish
05-02-2009, 01:14
just an update.....

got a call back from a VM techy yesterday, one that wasnt just reading from a script and actually seemed to know what he was talking about.
Apparently the majority of speed tests arnt 100% accurate (ive since tried others, some still peak at 35mb, others have reported up to 49mb) anyways, they guy ran a few tests ect to make sure the pc was up to scratch, the line was all good, then downloading 3 simultanious files from the virgin games site i was peaking at about 51mb (the op sais the line actually caps at 53mb)

Not to question the tech guy or anything cos he was genuinly helpful of anything i asked, but does that sound about right?, speed tests not being accurate etc? I only ask cos the previous phonecalls to VM, i got fobbed off with excuses like 'its because its peak time' or 'your network card must be faulty'

and thanks to all who replyed with suggestions, the help was much appriciated 8o)

BenMcr
05-02-2009, 01:37
http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/speedtesters/

Peter_
05-02-2009, 05:54
just an update.....

got a call back from a VM techy yesterday, one that wasnt just reading from a script and actually seemed to know what he was talking about.
Apparently the majority of speed tests arnt 100% accurate (ive since tried others, some still peak at 35mb, others have reported up to 49mb) anyways, they guy ran a few tests ect to make sure the pc was up to scratch, the line was all good, then downloading 3 simultanious files from the virgin games site i was peaking at about 51mb (the op sais the line actually caps at 53mb)

Not to question the tech guy or anything cos he was genuinly helpful of anything i asked, but does that sound about right?, speed tests not being accurate etc? I only ask cos the previous phonecalls to VM, i got fobbed off with excuses like 'its because its peak time' or 'your network card must be faulty'

and thanks to all who replyed with suggestions, the help was much appriciated 8o)
Try replacing your ethernet cables with brand new CAT6 cables because if you are using any old cables they could be degraded and your connection will suffer especially on 50Mb.

Get them from any local PC shop or even online.