PDA

View Full Version : Splitter and two wireless routers

jimcallaghan
31-01-2009, 13:32
Hi,
I have searched the forum and can't find an answer to my question, so here goes.

My cable broadband is split outside the house and one side is plugged in to a modem and the other is in to a TV box. The TV box has been disconnected as no longer required, so I now only have the broadband being provided. I want to know if I can get another modem & wireless router (or a combo) and stick them on the end of what was the TV cable. They are at either ends of the house, so a wireless router in the area of house would be great. I'd also like to make sure they were on the same network - giving out same address ranges / same subnet and enabling machines to share one wireless network wiht broader range.

Apologies in advance if someone finds what I'm looking for in a few seconds and then just bungs me a link...

Any assistance would be appreciated.

BenMcr
31-01-2009, 13:33
No, you cannot get another modem. Virgin will only supply one modem per account, and you can now only have one account per address

LondonRoad
31-01-2009, 13:49
You only need a wireless repeater to increase the range of you network. No other wiring required and not that expensive. ;)

jimcallaghan
31-01-2009, 13:52
I don't want them to supply the modem - I've got one. Want to know if it's possible. Just looking at utilising what's already there to extend the wifi to areas of the house that have poor signal.
Thanks for the reply.

BenMcr
31-01-2009, 13:54
Ok then. Let me rephrase.

Virgn will only connect one modem per account, and you can only have one account per property

So that means you can only have one modem

jimcallaghan
31-01-2009, 13:54
Ah, wireless repeater. I'll google it... Thanks

Joxer
31-01-2009, 13:57
You could use a wireless repeater, also called a range extender to extend the network through the house.

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

/me makes metal note to remember to click post button in a more timely fashion.

kpanchev
31-01-2009, 13:58
I don't want them to supply the modem - I've got one. Want to know if it's possible. Just looking at utilising what's already there to extend the wifi to areas of the house that have poor signal.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, you can connect it to the second cable.... one problem though, it won't work, as each modem needs to be registered to an active account, one modem per account, and as Ben keeps repeating, at the moment Virgin will not open a new account in the same house...

keyholder
31-01-2009, 14:06
Hi,
I have searched the forum and can't find an answer to my question, so here goes.

My cable broadband is split outside the house and one side is plugged in to a modem and the other is in to a TV box. The TV box has been disconnected as no longer required, so I now only have the broadband being provided. I want to know if I can get another modem & wireless router (or a combo) and stick them on the end of what was the TV cable. They are at either ends of the house, so a wireless router in the area of house would be great. I'd also like to make sure they were on the same network - giving out same address ranges / same subnet and enabling machines to share one wireless network wiht broader range.

Apologies in advance if someone finds what I'm looking for in a few seconds and then just bungs me a link...

Any assistance would be appreciated.

ermm basically yes :)

as ben says. virgin will only provide u with 1 modem per account / household.

so forget about using that other modem that u have if i think i know what ur trying to do with it.

get another router ( cable ) i.e belkin / netgear etc, and use as a AP, make sure it can be used as a wireless bridge. If it doesnt then u wont be able to acces the net via the 2nd router. unless u link a cable between them.

u need to set both routers with the same name ( ssid )
same password
different channels.

Basically what u have now done is allowed ur computers to hook up to the storngest signal yet still use the same internet conection :) the 2nd router dont need to be conected to a pc as its wireless of course :)

jimcallaghan
31-01-2009, 14:35
Thanks to all for very prompt responses.
I'm going to see if a spare wireless g router I have can be used as a bridge, if not I'm off down the shops (or eBay as some call it)
Thanks again.