PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media to reduce prices on higher tier broadband from 2/2/2009

UnReaL
30-01-2009, 04:34
On 01/02/09 Virgin Media will be changing a number of its packages - one of the major impacts of this is that some of the higher tier broadband and combined packages with the higher tier broadband will become cheaper. None of the reductions in package prices are being passed onto existing customers.

The big change is that the broadband size L (10 meg) on its own will reduce by £4/month. The XL (20 meg) and XXL (50 meg) on their own will reduce by £1/month.

Some of the double and triple (BB/TV/Phone) will reduce by approximately £1 or £2 - the range of changes is wide so best to check the website on Sunday when the changes happen.

These are not promotional offers but ongoing price decreases.

I would reckon it would be worth checking the website and calling Virgin on Monday when the customer relations (retentions) department opens and asking why you aren't receiving the new prices. Number to call is 0800 052 2620.

Is there any truth to this?

Source: HotUKDeals (http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/328986/virgin-media-to-reduce-prices-on-hi/)

Stabhappy
30-01-2009, 05:10
If the £4/month reduction to 10mb is true, then there will be a price gap of £3 between 2mb and 10mb - what on earth?

UnReaL
30-01-2009, 05:45
I'm sure there are people out there who would never even comtemplate paying the extra £3 to upgrade.

But we'll see if this news rings true on Monday or if anyone else can shed some light on this news.

Keep an eye on the Virgin Media website: http://allyours.virginmedia.com/

grubbymitts
30-01-2009, 08:54
if it is true (which it probably is) then, as usual, it's a kick in the teeth for L subscribers like me who have been loyal customers for a long time (in my case 6 years). Now we've been pushed into the position where to get a good deal we've got to find the time to call retentions and ass about trying to get them to give us some kind of recompense. Very frustrating.

RubberyDuck
30-01-2009, 10:09
Perhaps they'll scrap the 2Mb tier and upgrade everyone on it to 10Mb.

broadbandking
30-01-2009, 10:11
Its true and M is increasing by £1

haydnwalker
30-01-2009, 10:19

Don't think that will happen until the 50mb upgrade is complete.

BenMcr
30-01-2009, 10:42
It is sort of true (but what has been posted is mostly wrong - people phoning retentions are going to be disappointed based on the 'hotness' of that post)

There are some changes coming in and BB L by itself is going to become £21 a month (£20 on e-billing) after discounts - which is where they have got the £4 drop from

The 3 for £44, Triple XL/3 for £56, XL Plus, VIP bundles are not changing

The changes will follow Virgin's usual company policy -you can usually get the new pricing as an existing customer as long as you upgrade/add a service.

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 ----------

Not happening ;) Someone got the wrong end of the stick. You'll see what I mean when all the changes get officially announced

Ignitionnet
30-01-2009, 13:04
Not happening ;) Someone got the wrong end of the stick. You'll see what I mean when all the changes get officially announced

Ah come on Ben that's not totally wrong ;)

Arthurgray50@blu
30-01-2009, 17:55
Well its bang out of order, if its for new customers only, But it could be a ploy to gain new customers, This is what l was saying an another thread for V+ boxes, they could follow Sky by lowering there price -lets just wait and see, otherwise, the VM CS will go in meltdown with callers.

etccarmageddon
30-01-2009, 18:21
I will be ringing rententions on monday to cancel my account 0800 052 2620 unless they offer me the same terms as a new customer. cheeky bunch!

I just have the lowest tier broadband which I hardly use and at £18 that's just not competitive.

...Not happening ;) Someone got the wrong end of the stick. You'll see what I mean when all the changes get officially announcedsounds exciting!

BenMcr
30-01-2009, 18:55
Well its bang out of order, if its for new customers only, But it could be a ploy to gain new customers, This is what l was saying an another thread for V+ boxes, they could follow Sky by lowering there price -lets just wait and see, otherwise, the VM CS will go in meltdown with callers.
It's not just for new customers, but existing customers already on bundles will not be moved onto the new pricing - unless they upgrade or add a service.

Exactly the same as has been since Virgin Media launched

I just have the lowest tier broadband which I hardly use and at £18 that's just not competitive.
Don't expect to get anything, unless you are prepared to upgrade to BB L

grubbymitts
30-01-2009, 19:50
So, for fools like me with just a cable modem on the 10mb speed (ie. £25 a month) am I still going to be paying £25 or will my bill go down to £21?

BenMcr
30-01-2009, 19:58
It will stay at £25

grubbymitts
30-01-2009, 20:03
/me begins to write letter of vitriol then

Albie
31-01-2009, 05:15

I don't think they'll scrap 2MB at all after seeing this government proposal.

"17) Draw up plans for a universal service system that would guarantee every home can get 2Mbps by 2012. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7858062.stm

That's why they've lowered the 10MB price, because the 2MB tier isn't moving up.

Turkey Machine
31-01-2009, 09:29

"17) Draw up plans for a universal service system that would guarantee every home can get 2Mbps by 2012. "

That's why they've lowered the 10MB price, because the 2MB tier isn't moving up.

If that's the case they need to make the 2Mbit tariff much more affordable compared to other ISPs. If Orange can do it freely alongside my dad's mobile phone contract (without any issues by the way), Virgin bloody well can!

mcmanic
31-01-2009, 09:41
going to have to cancel my BB, been with virgin, ect, ect since beginning, never had a discount of any kind, always been paying top whack. Lost my job cannot aford it now so bye-bye Tv and BB, will just use freeview now. Things will only get worse this comming year as others will have to do the same

Ignitionnet
31-01-2009, 11:34

Can't be many for whom Virgin Media cable is their only option though. Would imagine most with VM cable could at least get 3G, if not fixed line as well.

BenMcr
31-01-2009, 11:36
If that's the case they need to make the 2Mbit tariff much more affordable compared to other ISPs. If Orange can do it freely alongside my dad's mobile phone contract (without any issues by the way), Virgin bloody well can!
They could, but then it all depends what market they are going after - and I don't think it is those who offer Free* broadband

NedPointsman
31-01-2009, 13:10
Its true and M is increasing by £1

It's fairly clear that VM regard the M tier (which I read makes up over 70% of their subscribers) as the proverbial cash cow, other tiers are to be made more attractive and M is to be milked to basically subsidise it, maybe M will get the third or fourth pressing after everyone else has had their fun with the olives, if they're lucky.

You can get 'unlimited' 8mb for the same price as M, then again I suppose most aren't any the wiser.

BenMcr
31-01-2009, 13:13
M is not increasing in price for anyone already on it (apart from those who ONLY have M, and then it will no longer be discounted, so it will be £18)

NedPointsman
31-01-2009, 13:39
How can it be 'no longer discounted' when it's not discounted now.

Such people must number enough to justify increasing the price of something that's already way over the market rate, which is potentially 'free' if you're a light user (or they're expecting a swathe of people to switch downwards with the recession), unless it's apart of something wider, ie - subsidising price decreases elsewhere.

BenMcr
31-01-2009, 13:44
How can it be 'no longer discounted' when it's not discounted now.
At the moment you can get BB M for £10 for six months. From tomorrow, you will not be able to. If you want BB M, you will pay the full standard price of £18, which has not changed in two years

Such people must number enough to justify increasing the price of something that's already way over the market rate (or they're expecting a swathe of people to switch downwards with the recession),
What part of 'not increasing the price', isn't clear?

unless it's apart of something wider, ie - subsidising price decreases elsewhere.
Or maybe it is to try and persuade people that 2Mbit is not worth getting?

Because from tomorrow it will be either 2Mbit by itself for £18 a month or 10Mbit by itself for £21 a month

keyholder
31-01-2009, 14:20
At the moment you can get BB M for £10 for six months. From tomorrow, you will not be able to. If you want BB M, you will pay the full standard price of £18, which has not changed in two years

Ok.... So since i rejoined virgin approx 3 months ago how come i been paying £24 pm, even for the first six months as virgin advertise that its only £18:confused: + i havent recived my £50 off for ordering online ?? :confused: works out £20 with instalation charge

I also have a fone line with free weekend calls ( that u get standard :) ) jsut incase my BB goes pete tong. so it wont cost me a fortune to ring VM from a bt line

total £27 something.

BenMcr
31-01-2009, 14:24
Different prices apply if you have a phone line (BB L with a phone line is currently £22.50 for the first six months) and you only got the £50 if you ordered all 3 services.

Ignitionnet
31-01-2009, 14:24
Ben - if retentions aren't throwing the discounts at people who phone them by midday Monday I'll be amazed, in a pleasant way.

Flying pigs would seem more likely though!

BenMcr
31-01-2009, 14:29
Even if they do, it will tie everyone into a new 12 months, which I'm sure Virgin won't complain about

But as the Customer Relations options are also changing (and that the changes on the standard prices aren't what people think they are), I don't expect people are going to get what they are thinking they can ;)

joglynne
31-01-2009, 14:42
Even if they do, it will tie everyone into a new 12 months, which I'm sure Virgin won't complain about

But as the Customer Relations options are also changing (and that the changes on the standard prices aren't what people think they are), I don't expect people are going to get what they are thinking they can ;)

I know the second sentence will make sense to us next week but Ben you are being so inscrutable it hurts to read your posts at the moment. :D

NedPointsman
31-01-2009, 16:55

What part of 'not increasing the price', isn't clear?

Because from tomorrow it will be either 2Mbit by itself for £18 a month

Or maybe it is to try and persuade people that 2Mbit is not worth getting?

Because from tomorrow it will be either 2Mbit by itself for £18 a month or 10Mbit by itself for £21 a month

VM say the price, currently is £17, or if you want to play semantic games, £13.50 a month over a 12 month contract. £18 is an increase on that isn't it, especially if, as you say, they're getting rid of the introductory offer, that's basically what isn't clear.

You'll have to come up with some sort of reasoning as to why VM wouldnt want people to pay for something they can get potentially get 'free' elsewhere (such as sky), it's a great bit of business.

BenMcr
31-01-2009, 19:44
VM say the price, currently is £17, or if you want to play semantic games, £13.50 a month over a 12 month contract. £18 is an increase on that isn't it
No it's not as the £17 price is when you take e-billing and get a £1 discount (which everyone can do, but many people don't)

It still shows as £18 on the bill

they're getting rid of the introductory offer, that's basically what isn't clear.
The current offer is described as:

£10 a month
For the first 6 months, then just £17 a month after that

which I think is pretty clear

You'll have to come up with some sort of reasoning as to why VM wouldnt want people to pay for something they can get potentially get 'free' elsewhere (such as sky), it's a great bit of business.
Your 'Free' broadband with Sky costs at least £26.50 a month in Sky TV and Phone rental (for 2Mbit with a 2Gb allowance)

Peter_
31-01-2009, 20:18
Well I think that on Monday we are all going to get a very pleasant surprise from Virgin if I am reading this right, and going by Bens posts it could be a whammy.

BenMcr
31-01-2009, 20:25
No you are probably not (sorry) - no price will change for an existing customer.

What I have been trying to get at, is the changes are not as deep or as 'New customer only' as is being made out.

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

Right, as it is this late I think I would be safe in giving out the following information ;)

There are NO price reductions for anyone (new or existing) on the following:

BB M and Phone M (with or without TV M)

BB M, Phone M and TV L/3 for £30

3 for £44,
3 for £56/Triple XL,
XL Plus,
VIP

Any bundle with 50Mbit

The Credit Crunch deal (3 for £35 - BB L, Phone M, TV L and an 18 month contract)

cook1984
01-02-2009, 01:05
The Credit Crunch deal (3 for £35 - BB L, Phone M, TV L and an 18 month contract)

If that's the best they can offer then I expect retention's phones must be ringing off the hooks :(

BenMcr
01-02-2009, 01:13
If that's the best they can offer then I expect retention's phones must be ringing off the hooks :(
It is actually a really good deal if you look at it

For £24 a month (without counting the phone rental) you get 10Mbit broadband with a wireless router and no monthly cap and around 100 TV channels. You also get 3 months free over the 18 months.

Even the minimum from Sky (1 Mix plus 8Mbit with 40Gb limit) costs £21.50. To get the equivalent, you would probably looking at least 3/4 mixes and Sky Broadband Max. So that would be £28.50/£29.50 a month

brundles
01-02-2009, 01:50
I hope they're paying you overtime with the work you've put in to this thread today Ben!

i-Set
01-02-2009, 13:05
I hope they're paying you overtime with the work you've put in to this thread today Ben!

Yes he does work very hard...even in other forums lol...Ben should indeed recieve a big fat bonus for all the effort hes putting in :D

Kursk
01-02-2009, 13:53
Yes he does work very hard...even in other forums lol...Ben should indeed recieve a big fat bonus for all the effort hes putting in :D

C'mon, give him a break. Posters are asking questions and he's doing his best to answer. He's damned if he helps and damned if he doesn't.

I for one appreciate the advice. Thanks Ben :)

i-Set
01-02-2009, 17:56
C'mon, give him a break. Posters are asking questions and he's doing his best to answer. He's damned if he helps and damned if he doesn't.

I for one appreciate the advice. Thanks Ben :)

I think you misinterpreted my post - I was saying he does work hard to answer questions by users here and on other forums - so I was giving him a pat on the back :p:

now back to the topic....

Kursk
01-02-2009, 18:54
....I was giving him a pat on the back :p:

Hrhrhrr! Et tu Brute? :D

BenMcr
02-02-2009, 00:32
Half an hour to go and I think I might be safe posting a list of the changes ;)

UnReaL
02-02-2009, 00:49
Maybe they'll provide a 50mb rollout schedule too if we are lucky :D

Want to find out when Manchester gets it!

BenMcr
02-02-2009, 00:52
Eh? There is no 'rollout schedule' for the changes

There are new bundle prices for new customers and existing customer upgrading their services, so they will apply everywhere at once.

UnReaL
02-02-2009, 00:56
Maybe

Although you probably already know :D

BenMcr
02-02-2009, 01:22
Here are most of the changes to Virgin’s pricing that come into effect today (all quoted after discounts when on e-billing and paying via Direct Debit)

Both new customers and existing customers upgrading a service should qualify for these prices – they all also require that you keep services for a minimum 12 month term.

Standalone Broadband:

BB M £17 (No change but will no longer be discounted to a lower price)
BB L £20
BB XL £35
BB XXL £50

Phone & Broadband (all also available with TV M):

BB M and Phone M - £28 (No change to core prices, but will no longer be discounted)
BB L and Phone M - £25
BB XL and Phone M - £31 (Remains the same)
BB XL and Phone M - £46 (Remains the same)

Phone, Broadband and TV:

BB M, Phone M and TV L - £31 (£41.50 with TV XL)
BB L, Phone M and TV L - £35 (£45.50 with TV XL)
BB XL, Phone M and TV L - £41 (£51.50 with TV XL) (Remains the same)
BB XXL, Phone M and TV L - £56 (£66.50 with TV XL) (Remains the same)

However better value bundles are available (especially when adding TV XL):

BB L, Phone M and TV XL - £44 (Remains the same)
Triple XL - BB XL, Phone XL and TV XL - £56 (Remains the same)
XL Plus - £65 (Remains the same)
VIP - £86 (Remain the same)

Also all remaining the same are:

Triple XL with 50Mbit - £66
XL Plus with 50Mbit - £75
and
VIP with 50Mbit – £96

And just so it is perfectly clear what has happened, the ONLY changes are:

BB L standalone has gone down by £4
BB XL/XXL standalone have gone down by £1
BB L in some bundles has gone down by £2
BB M in bundles has gone up by £1

---------- Post added at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

And in case no-one notices, any customer paying £25 for BB L standalone, can now get a free phone line (and TV) from Virgin ;)

nomadking
02-02-2009, 02:41
At the moment I pay £50 for BB M, TV XL, Phone M with e-billing and paying by direct debit.

Does this mean that if I change BB to L(upgrading a service) and I am OK with a new 12 month contract, my bill will go down to £46.50? Or could I even upgrade BB to XL for an extra £1.50(to £51.50)?

Would adding Sky movies and/or sport(or any another package) be an upgrade?

Ignitionnet
02-02-2009, 09:13
At the moment I pay £50 for BB M, TV XL, Phone M with e-billing and paying by direct debit.

Does this mean that if I change BB to L(upgrading a service) and I am OK with a new 12 month contract, my bill will go down to £46.50? Or could I even upgrade BB to XL for an extra £1.50(to £51.50)?

Would adding Sky movies and/or sport(or any another package) be an upgrade?

From Ben's post:

nomadking
02-02-2009, 09:37
From Ben's post:

Then how come I'm paying £50 for less ie BB M not L.

From my E-Bill.

Line Rental 22 January - 21 February £11.00
4p Plan 22 January - 21 February £0.00
TV Size: X L 22 January - 21 February £22.00
Broadband Size: M 22 January - 21 February £18.00
E Bill Discount 22 January £-1.00

Ignitionnet
02-02-2009, 10:06
You appear to be paying full price for everything with no bundle discount. I'm sure Ben can clarify better but you're getting hammered there, you're paying single item price for everything with no discounts for bundling at all.

You're actually only paying a fiver less than regular price for 3 x XL!

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15163

kpanchev
02-02-2009, 10:21
So no more BB M? Are they scrapping it completely or just messed up with the update of the website?

nomadking
02-02-2009, 10:27
And that's without counting the £50 credit and six months @£7/month less.

My original question was, would upgrading a service (eg BB M to L) qualify me for a bundle price, which would end up being less than I am paying now?

---------- Post added at 09:27 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

So no more BB M? Are they scrapping it completely or just messed up with the update of the website?

If they haven't messed up the update of the website, that would be a first.:D

BenMcr
02-02-2009, 11:00
Although it still exists, it is no longer being marketed or actively sold (I wasn't 100% sure if it would still appear)

From now on BB L is Virgin's minimum service

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

My original question was, would upgrading a service (eg BB M to L) qualify me for a bundle price, which would end up being less than I am paying now?
You probably wouldn't be able to get the £44 price without speaking to Customer Relations as the price drop is too much.

However, you probably could get put onto the triple XL price without any trouble

chamelion
02-02-2009, 13:34

wouldn't that already include the TV basic package, so it would technically be all 3 services?

Zhadnost
02-02-2009, 13:35
Pass, I have BB XL and Phone M but I don't have a TV service.

Wicked_and_Crazy
02-02-2009, 13:50
Phone, Broadband and TV:

What a joke! Typical VM to have two prices for the same thing.

So is BB L, Phone M and TV XL £44.50 or £44.

BenMcr
02-02-2009, 14:05

wouldn't that already include the TV basic package, so it would technically be all 3 services?
No, you have a choice whether to take TV M or not, and its mainly sold without it

---------- Post added at 13:05 ---------- Previous post was at 13:00 ----------

What a joke! Typical VM to have two prices for the same thing.

So is BB L, Phone M and TV XL £44.50 or £44.
If you add TV XL onto the £35 bundle its £45.50 but you can always take it off and go back down to £35

If you take the £44 bundle you cannot downgrade

Kymmy
02-02-2009, 14:06
If residential is dropping actively selling 2Mb then I wonder what the business side will do with thier 4Mb option?????

browney
02-02-2009, 14:12

Thats ok means my retention deal saves me £2 lol

brundles
02-02-2009, 14:14
Although it still exists, it is no longer being marketed or actively sold (I wasn't 100% sure if it would still appear)

From now on BB L is Virgin's minimum service

That's interesting - I thought the BB M was the proverbial subsidising cash cow?

Is this an indication of the cost savings they're likely to see once the DOCSIS 3 migration and rollout is done that they can afford to do this?

Paul
02-02-2009, 14:35
Rang up today to switch to XXL BB and Phone to find 50M has not reached Nottingham yet :(

I got them to switch me to XL and phone for £31 month tho, a saving on what I was paying.

hedgie
02-02-2009, 15:20
Phone & Broadband (all also available with TV M):

BB M and Phone M - £28 (No change to core prices, but will no longer be discounted)
BB L and Phone M - £25

Phone, Broadband and TV:

BB M, Phone M and TV L - £31 (£41.50 with TV XL)
BB XL, Phone M and TV L - £41 (£51.50 with TV XL) (Remains the same)
BB XXL, Phone M and TV L - £56 (£66.50 with TV XL) (Remains the same)

Triple XL - BB XL, Phone XL and TV XL - £56 (Remains the same)
XL Plus - £65 (Remains the same)
VIP - £86 (Remain the same)

---------- Post added at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

And in case no-one notices, any customer paying £25 for BB L standalone, can now get a free phone line (and TV) from Virgin ;)

I think I've got it....Just to be clear if you are on an XL TV pack you get V+ for free, TV (L) V+ is £5 extra per month.

I am currently on M Broadband. If I understand the website I get a Virgin wireless router on the L Tariff. Is this supported in the same way as a set top box. ie Virgin fix it if it breaks ?

i-Set
02-02-2009, 15:50
Ben where are you lol quick question

One of my aunties is on XL phone and M broadband 2mb

If she upgrades to L broadband, would she pay the new 10mb price and would it be a new 12 month contract?

BenMcr
02-02-2009, 15:54
I think I've got it....Just to be clear if you are on an XL TV pack you get V+ for free, TV (L) V+ is £5 extra per month.
Yes

I am currently on M Broadband. If I understand the website I get a Virgin wireless router on the L Tariff. Is this supported in the same way as a set top box. ie Virgin fix it if it breaks ?
you only get the router FOC if you are a new broadband customer. All existing customer pay £40 for it

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

One of my aunties is on XL phone and M broadband 2mb

If she upgrades to L broadband, would she pay the new 10mb price and would it be a new 12 month contract?
Probably (as it would cost slightly more than she is currently paying) and Yes

nomadking
02-02-2009, 16:28
I suppose people on 2Mb BB M could cancel it and immediately sign up for the 10Mb BB L with free wireless router @ £15/month for six months then £20/month afterwards. It would be best to point that out to CS and simply upgrade the BB rather than cancel it with the potential of a delay in getting BB back online.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3264

BenMcr
02-02-2009, 16:38
Wouldn't work. You have to be completely disconnected for serveral months (if not longer) before you are counted as a new customer

Fatec
02-02-2009, 16:51
Wouldn't work. You have to be completely disconnected for serveral months (if not longer) before you are counted as a new customer

It's 6 months :)

nomadking
02-02-2009, 16:53
So what speed would they reconnect you with after a very short break in service? 2 or 10Mb?

Just checked the online upgrade for existing customers (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/cgi-bin/formactions/existing_customer.pl) on VM Website. Upgrade to BB L 10Mb is £20/month, down from £25/month.

hedgie
02-02-2009, 16:58
you only get the router FOC if you are a new broadband customer. All existing customer pay £40 for it

Seems like another case of offering preferential deals to new customers. I know VM are not the only ones who do this, but it still sucks !!
Judging from some of the posts on this forum there are deals to be had through retentions but you have to haggle....

BenMcr
02-02-2009, 17:03
So what speed would they reconnect you with after a very short break in service? 2 or 10Mb?
Dunno. Probably 10Mbit, unless you insisted you be connected to 2Mbit

But as anyone on 2Mbit can upgrade to the new 10Mbit prices anyway, seems a bit long winded - and either way would be a new 12 month contract

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

Seems like another case of offering preferential deals to new customers. I know VM are not the only ones who do this, but it still sucks !!
Judging from some of the posts on this forum there are deals to be had through retentions but you have to haggle....
The £40 router price for existing broadband customers has been there since last April, so it's nothing new

hedgie
02-02-2009, 17:22
The £40 router price for existing broadband customers has been there since last April, so it's nothing new

OK, its just that I have never had the inclination to upgrade before so I did not look and it was not relevant. Now it is relevant to me as it seems I can upgrade for a modest price:).

I assume that for £40 you are effectively buying the router so it wont be supported like a set top box where VM will come and fix it if it breaks.....

Thanks for the help, your input on this thread has been really usefull.

Regards

moaningmags
02-02-2009, 17:35
The point of buying the router from VM is that it is supported.
They won't come and fix it if it breaks but they will send you a replacement.

hedgie
02-02-2009, 17:40
The point of buying the router from VM is that it is supported.
They won't come and fix it if it breaks but they will send you a replacement.

Thanks, that makes the £40 seem a decent deal :) Sending a replacement is as good as, if not better than, fixing it. Whilst we all want to keep our costs down you should not expect something for nothing...everytime..:angel:

etccarmageddon
02-02-2009, 17:47
I've just rang VM cos in my opinion they're trying to take the pee (no offence to Ben who has been very helpful). £18 a month for 2meg and £20 a month for 10meg is totally unrealistic pricing when I could get crappy ADSL broadband "free" with my SKY tv package.

I told them I was cancelling my £18 a month 2meg connection as they're too expensive.

I was offered either the 2meg for £10 a month OR 10meg for £18 a month. for the next 6 months.

I think it's about time VM came up with some offers that are exclusive for longer term customers - e.g. 12 months or more and you get a free broadband speed upgrade for 3 months. This would give the customer a "treat" as O2 call it and after the 3 months the customer might buy the upgrade.

BenMcr
02-02-2009, 18:11
I've just rang VM cos in my opinion they're trying to take the pee (no offence to Ben who has been very helpful). £18 a month for 2meg and £20 a month for 10meg is totally unrealistic pricing when I could get crappy ADSL broadband "free" with my SKY tv package

I told them I was cancelling my £18 a month 2meg connection as they're too expensive.[quote]
Yet to get the 'free' broadband (which is 2Mbit with a 40Gbit limit) you are already paying at least £26.50 for it

[quote]I was offered either the 2meg for £10 a month OR 10meg for £18 a month. for the next 6 months.
Both of which actually finished yesterday

I think it's about time VM came up with some offers that are exclusive for longer term customers - e.g. 12 months or more and you get a free broadband speed upgrade for 3 months. This would give the customer a "treat" as O2 call it and after the 3 months the customer might buy the upgrade.
Why should Virgin offer the best deals for people with only one service? You can get BB L for £14 a month if you take a Virgin phone

etccarmageddon
02-02-2009, 18:15
Both of which actually finished yesterdayI made the phone call about half an hour ago so what's your point? are you calling me a liar - I doubt it - so are you saying VM are incompetent or I have been lied to?

Why should Virgin offer the best deals for people with only one service?it's about keeping customers and being competitive. I dont care what deals you offer people who have more than 1 service. if you want £18 min a month to give me broadband I might as well cancel my service as I hardly use it.

gregpegg
02-02-2009, 18:23
Spoke to VM today. Asked about size L for £20, sorry new customers only, £25 to existing customers. But I would get an additional £3.50 bundle discount making it in effect £21.50.(I currently have phone M. TV XL and broadband M). Tried talking to customer relations and got the same answer. I didn't upgrade. They told me an upgrade is NOT a new service, hence £21.50 rather than £20.

etccarmageddon
02-02-2009, 18:25
maybe I got offered my deal because I rang saying I wanted to cancel my service rather than rang trying to get a better deal.

Ignitionnet
02-02-2009, 18:27
maybe I got offered my deal because I rang saying I wanted to cancel my service rather than rang trying to get a better deal.

If it wasn't a deal they shouldn't have offered it but considering that someone else was offered a waiver of the 50Mbit install charge if they stayed it wouldn't at all surprise, seems retentions like to offer things they can't.

Did you accept it?

brundles
02-02-2009, 18:33
Why should Virgin offer the best deals for people with only one service? You can get BB L for £14 a month if you take a Virgin phone

I seem to remember it's generally recognised (as a business principle rather than VM specific) as being significantly more expensive to get a new customer than it is to keep an existing one - and that's before taking account of the discount money VM throws at new customers.

I think the gripe is that it leads people to think their loyalty is just being used to subsidise new customers.

etccarmageddon
02-02-2009, 18:46
...Did you accept it?yes I did as both options were competitive.

I seem to remember it's generally recognised (as a business principle rather than VM specific) as being significantly more expensive to get a new customer than it is to keep an existing one...that's correct it is a general business principle.

rogerdraig
02-02-2009, 19:12
i just love the amount of information they give me about what i have got ( none in other words )

i get bb ( m ) phone ( m ) and free tv for £20

BenMcr
02-02-2009, 19:15
Spoke to VM today. Asked about size L for £20, sorry new customers only, £25 to existing customers. But I would get an additional £3.50 bundle discount making it in effect £21.50.(I currently have phone M. TV XL and broadband M). Tried talking to customer relations and got the same answer. I didn't upgrade. They told me an upgrade is NOT a new service, hence £21.50 rather than £20.
The £20 is for BB L by itself It does not apply when you have other services!

If you are getting Phone M, BB L and TV XL for £44, you are basically getting BB L for £14!

lsproc
02-02-2009, 19:49
If you subscribe to 2 services NOT in a bundle, does that mean the decreased BB L prices are available? (services being BB and Phone?)

BenMcr
02-02-2009, 19:51
Why would you want to?

BB L and Phone M bundle = £25

BB L @ £20
Phone M @ £11
= £31

Even if you add the BB L standalone offer (£15 a month for six months) it still would be £26 a month!

lsproc
02-02-2009, 19:52
Mainly as the volume of phone use means it works out cheaper to go with a large phone pkg with international calling

BenMcr
02-02-2009, 19:57
Which you can add on to the bundle anyway!

lsproc
02-02-2009, 19:58
You can add the larger phone package? (i.e. L/XL)?

BenMcr
02-02-2009, 20:07
Yes - the new prices have not changed the way things work

BB L + Phone L = £28.45 (3.45 extra)

BB L + Phone XL = £32.95 (7.95 extra)

lsproc
02-02-2009, 20:09
Interestingly CS said that the broadband itself would be £23/month, as the £20/month is an introductory offer for new customers :mad:

I guess it will be up to Selfcare to speak truth :p:

nomadking
02-02-2009, 21:55
I as have mentioned in my post #67, I used the VM website option that is used to allow you to upgrade for an existing customer. I specified that I had phone, BB & TV and wanted to upgrade to 10Mb BB L and it stated £20/month. I didn't fully complete the upgrade because I want to talk to CS about it. Should I have been getting a bundle discount(£3.50?) all along?

Before Christmas a 30day free trail of BB L was made to BB M customers. At that time BB L was £7 extra, how much better would it have been for VM if people had been told it would actually end up as only £2 extra. More money for VM, as I, probably amongst others would have stayed with BB L at that price. An example of the "Left hand not knowing what the Right hand is doing".

BenMcr
02-02-2009, 22:24
I as have mentioned in my post #67, I used the VM website option that is used to allow you to upgrade for an existing customer. I specified that I had phone, BB & TV and wanted to upgrade to 10Mb BB L and it stated £20/month. I didn't fully complete the upgrade because I want to talk to CS about it. Should I have been getting a bundle discount(£3.50?) all along?
It all depends on what your paying as to what discounts you qualified for.

You get a better price if you do have other stuff. BB L is £20 by itself or with TV. You pay less if you have a phoneline

Before Christmas a 30day free trail of BB L was made to BB M customers. At that time BB L was £7 extra, how much better would it have been for VM if people had been told it would actually end up as only £2 extra. More money for VM, as I, probably amongst others would have stayed with BB L at that price. An example of the "Left hand not knowing what the Right hand is doing".
BB L is still £7 extra if you do not enter into a new bundle deal!

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

I didn't have the prices when I posted earlier but I now have the BB/TV prices

Broadband and TV:

BB L and TV L - £30 (£40.50 with TV XL)
BB XL and TV L - £44 (£54.50 with TV XL) (Remains the same)
BB XXL and TV L - £59 (£69.50 with TV XL) (Remains the same)

nomadking
02-02-2009, 22:54
Here is a cut & paste from the VM web page for "Already with us" followed by "Upgrade your service" and then a few pages on. As you can see, I specified that I already have phone, BB, and TV and was looking to upgrade BB. It gives £20 for L and £35 for XL. It does say that Special Offer prices are for first time customers only. The £15 for six months and free wireless router mentioned in the "more information" link is the special offer part.

Home (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/)
> Existing Customer - Broadband

Your Virgin Broadband

Blisteringly fast broadband. Unlimited downloads. Total freedom.

First up…
You'll need to make sure that your computer meets the minimum requirements (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/faqs/minspec.html). Most do, but it's worth checking to make sure that it can deliver the internet connection speeds that Virgin broadband services offer.

Current Services

Telephone
Broadband Internet
Digital TV

New Services

Installation charges apply (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/help/installationcharges.html)

SelectionPackage I want to keep my current broadband service SelectionPackageDescriptionCost Size: L

Up to 10Mb
More information (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3264)

£20.00 per month
Size: XL

Up to 20Mb
More information (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3246)

£35.00 per month

BenMcr
02-02-2009, 23:29
My apologies (long day at work) and previous post amended ;).

Just sat down and worked it out and it works out about right:

BB L with TV is £20 (as TV L is £10 and TV XL is £20.50) and BB L + TV L is £30 (though that is with the £1 e-bill discount)?

BB XL £35 + TV L £10 - £1 ebill discount = £44

BB XL £50 + TV L £10 - £1 ebill discount = £59

They don't seem to have made it as neat as they could have.

hokkers999
03-02-2009, 13:47
[quote=etccarmageddon;34726301] [snip] Yet to get the 'free' broadband (which is 2Mbit with a 40Gbit limit) you are already paying at least £26.50 for it Which was his point. If you have Sky and are paying the £26.50 anyway, then the internet really is free, as opposed to a further £18 with VM. for those of us that don't download linux distro's all day and night 40gig is plenty enough thanks.

BenMcr
03-02-2009, 14:08
Then go to Sky then for broadband then!

Virgin are going to give the best deals to those customers who have multiple services, which I think is a sensible business choice

hokkers999
03-02-2009, 14:13
Then go to Sky then for broadband then!

Virgin are going to give the best deals to those customers who have multiple services, which I think is a sensible business choice

Was that intended at me? Couldn't work out who you were replying to. If you are already on Sky anyway, it isn't a case of GOING there is it? The sensible business choice is not to have churn full stop.

BenMcr
03-02-2009, 14:32
It was a general statement.

Why should Virgin reward someone who only has a low value broadband service with them?

Stopping Churn is good but everything Virgin has said in investor briefings is about increasing the average price customers pay - i.e. getting them to take more services and higher services

Also, there is nothing Virgin can do to compete against free apart from run a service at a loss - which is no better than letting the customer disconnect.

Ignitionnet
03-02-2009, 14:41
Why should Virgin reward someone who only has a low value broadband service with them?

Stopping Churn is good but everything Virgin has said in investor briefings is about increasing the average price customers pay - i.e. getting them to take more services and higher services

Do the retentions team know this?

BenMcr
03-02-2009, 14:44
Yes, which is why their options keep on getting reduced

Chris
03-02-2009, 15:19
The sensible business choice is not to have churn full stop.

But not at any cost, surely? To reduce churn to zero (or close to it), some customers would have to be getting the service for free, or a pittance. That's no way to run a profitable company.

cook1984
04-02-2009, 00:04
The problem is they want more money for less service. You can't bring in more and more traffic shaping and expect people to give you more money.

I downgraded by BB from XL to L because XL is pointless now the throttling has got so bad. Apparently the obvious truth that if you make your services worse people won't want to pay high prices for them is lost on VM.

You still can't get Caller ID in Portsmouth either. A lot of people I know keep their BT phones because VM don't do CID, and plus BT give it you for free. An inferior product at a higher price? Genius.

BenMcr
04-02-2009, 00:21
Ok I get it you don't like Virgin Media.

However the price of broadband XL has actually dropped in the two years since Virgin came into being.

In Feb 2007, to get XL BB + Virgin Phone you would have to pay £39 for the two, which made the XL broadband £28. (and that was only for a 10Mbit service)

Now you can get the two for £31, which makes the XL broadband £20 - £8 cheaper, and double the speed it was!

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:16 ----------

Same goes for BB L.

Feb 2007 - Phone M + BB L (4Mbit) £27 - Making it £16 for a 4Mbit service

Now - Phone M + BB L (10Mbit) £25 - Making it £14 for 10Mbit service

NTLL
04-02-2009, 11:12
Hi Everyone,
I've just been on the virgin media website and there's no 2mb! seeing as though i'm on the 2mb service shall i upgrade to 10mb coz the price is the same?

BenMcr
04-02-2009, 11:21
No you will not get upgraded. BB L is not the same price as BB M was. It is at least £3 more

nutellajunkie
04-02-2009, 12:21
stay on 2MB as long as you can if you are comfortable with it!

etccarmageddon
04-02-2009, 12:37
Ok I get it you don't like Virgin Media.

However the price of broadband XL has actually dropped in the two years since Virgin came into being.

In Feb 2007, to get XL BB + Virgin Phone you would have to pay £39 for the two, which made the XL broadband £28. (and that was only for a 10Mbit service)

Now you can get the two for £31, which makes the XL broadband £20 - £8 cheaper, and double the speed it was!

Same goes for BB L.

Feb 2007 - Phone M + BB L (4Mbit) £27 - Making it £16 for a 4Mbit service

Now - Phone M + BB L (10Mbit) £25 - Making it £14 for 10Mbit servicewhat are those prices when you aren't buying it as a bundled product?

you say the price of broadband has dropped but then quote prices that include a phone line - you then duduct the phone line cost from the package price to prove your point. so this is misleading/misrepresenting the 'fact' you are trying to prove - all you have proved is the price of a bundled product has come down.

you're good. but please give us the real prices of broadband when doing a comparison.

BenMcr
04-02-2009, 12:45
what are those prices when you aren't buying it as a bundled product?
If you mean standalone prices they are as follows

BB L £20
BB XL £35

you say the price of broadband has dropped but then quote prices that include a phone line - you then duduct the phone line cost from the package price to prove your point. so this is misleading/misrepresenting the 'fact' you are trying to prove - all you have proved is the price of a bundled product has come down.
Yes the price of the bundle product has come down. I never said any different.

But why if you can get XL + Phone M for £31, would you choose to pay £35

Same for XXL. By itself its £50, with a Phone M its £46

you're good. but please give us the real prices of broadband when doing a comparison.
Please show me the real price of getting anyone else's broadband product without paying line rental? Oh, thats right you can't!

A comparison of Virgin BB standalone, compared with someone else's broadband is not a fair comparison as you also need to consider you have to pay line rental to BT.

So the fair comparison is Phoneline+BB compared with Phoneline+BB

etccarmageddon
04-02-2009, 13:42
Yes the price of the bundle product has come down. I never said any different.

yes you did....

...the price of broadband XL has actually dropped in the two years since Virgin came into being

please stop the smoke and mirrors and just answer the question, I'll ask again... what is the real price change of the broadband product?

I am right in thinking from the above figures the price hasn't reduced in the last 2 years unless you also take a phone line?

Please show me the real price of getting anyone else's broadband product without paying line rental? Oh, thats right you can't!

A comparison of Virgin BB standalone, compared with someone else's broadband is not a fair comparison as you also need to consider you have to pay line rental to BT.

So the fair comparison is Phoneline+BB compared with Phoneline+BByeah valid point if you were comparing ADSL to virgin but you weren't - you were trying to make the point that virgin's broadband price had reduced. a point you made pretty badly really cos you confused the issue by talking about a bundled product.

BenMcr
04-02-2009, 14:53
please stop the smoke and mirrors and just answer the question, I'll ask again... what is the real price change of the broadband product?
BB L standalone £4 new discount on Monday for new customers and existing standalone BB M upgrading to it
BB XL standalone £1 new discount on Monday for new customers and those existing standalone BB M/L customers upgrading to it

I am right in thinking from the above figures the price hasn't reduced in the last 2 years unless you also take a phone line?
Correct - because Virgin gives the better deals for those customers who take more than one serivce, just like every other company out there.

yeah valid point if you were comparing ADSL to virgin but you weren't - you were trying to make the point that virgin's broadband price had reduced. a point you made pretty badly really cos you confused the issue by talking about a bundled product.
Because who in their right mind pays £37/£36/£35 for XL on it's own when they can get it for £31 in total by adding a phoneline?

etccarmageddon
04-02-2009, 15:38
right so we got there in the end! broadband hasn't reduced in price but if you have it as a bundle then the bundle prices have.

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

...Because who in their right mind pays £37/£36/£35 for XL on it's own when they can get it for £31 in total by adding a phoneline?good point but I think VM should stop their confusing pricing policy as I have trouble working out what is what when visiting their site and also when you explain stuff. It's too confusing. Why sell/publish the price of a stand alone product at all if the bundle price is cheaper.

BenMcr
04-02-2009, 15:50
Personally I have no idea, and I wish they wouldn't. I suppose it because they can

Which is why there are all those 'Get Broadband NO PHONE LINE NEEDED' banner ads

bargepole
04-02-2009, 19:02
I've got BB M and XL TV and paying £31.50 pm.

Just phoned Virgin to see how much it would cost to upgrade to BB L and they want an extra £7 pm so that would make £38.50 pm if I upgraded.

If I cancelled the BB and just had XL TV it would costs £22 pm as a standalone.

So in effect I'm paying £9.50 for BB M or £16.50 for BB L, not sure how that compares with other BB providers but will be looking into it.

Phone line still with BT.

cookie_365
04-02-2009, 21:38
I'm on BB L with nothing else paying £25. If I agree to tie myself in for another 12 months (I'm out of the contract period now) will I get the price drop?

If not, it looks like I can 'upgrade' to BB L, TV M and phone M for £25 (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15157). Is that about the sum of my options? Because TV M doesnt seem to have anything that isn't on Freeview, and I dumped my landline for my mobiles years ago. :(

bargepole
05-02-2009, 12:46
worth asking if you can get it for £20.

Also have a look at

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=11491

oops didn't see the dreaded "when you take virgin phone line for £11 pm"

They really should include the £11 in these offer prices. It's not as if you can have the offers without having to pay for the phone line.

BenMcr
05-02-2009, 12:55
Don't think it is going to happen. It may be confusing for cable customers used to inclusive quoted prices, but almost everyone else does the 'Get broadband for this price (When you also take the phone for this other price)' so Virgin look expensive by comparison if they don't do the same

From what I understand things got busier for Virgin's sales teams after they changed it ;)

Zhadnost
05-02-2009, 13:07
I'm on BB L with nothing else paying £25. If I agree to tie myself in for another 12 months (I'm out of the contract period now) will I get the price drop?

If not, it looks like I can 'upgrade' to BB L, TV M and phone M for £25 (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15157). Is that about the sum of my options? Because TV M doesnt seem to have anything that isn't on Freeview, and I dumped my landline for my mobiles years ago. :(

If it makes it cheaper, why not get the phone line as well (that's what we did almost 2 years ago).

If for nothing else, it makes your CS calls free.

I wonder if you'd qualify for the £50 credit to your account for taking up 3 packages.

M TV also has Virgin central and the iplayer stuff. Probably some other stuff (I don't have a TV package either).

BenMcr
05-02-2009, 13:08
£50 credit is only if you take out all 3 services at the same time (and if you do it online)

dav
05-02-2009, 13:55
VM's pricing structure is a real mess. It needs to be simple and transparent.
You can tell how confusing it is to Joe Schmoes like me by the number of, "How much will it cost for...?" questions on here.

To that end...I'm on a retention deal of TV XL, Phone XL, BB M for ~£36 per month (I think the loyalty discount is around £23). How much will it cost for an upgrade to BB L and will I keep my discount?

I'm jiggered if I can work it out.

BenMcr
05-02-2009, 13:58
You can tell how confusing it is to Joe Schmoes like me by the number of, "How much will it cost for...?" questions on here.
Half the confusion comes from everyone want to pay less at the same time, Which is why the question are normally 'If i downgrade can I get the new deal'

If you look at the post here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34725983-post45.html you'll see it is actually quite simple really

To that end...I'm on a retention deal of TV XL, Phone XL, BB M for ~£36 per month (I think the loyalty discount is around £23). How much will it cost for an upgrade to BB L and will I keep my discount? Anyone on a Loyalty deal pays full price to upgrade

BB M to BB L is £7 extra on a Loyalty deal
BB M to BB XL is £19 extra on a Loyalty deal
BB L to BB XL is £12 extra on a Loyalty deal

dav
05-02-2009, 14:14
Half the confusion comes from everyone want to pay less at the same time, Which is why the question are normally 'If i downgrade can I get the new deal'

If you look at the post here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34725983-post45.html you'll see it is actually quite simple really

Anyone on a Loyalty deal pays full price to upgrade

OK, thanks. So, for people like me, there is actually no tastier carrot to tempt me to upgrade my BB service as I can't get access to the lower BB M/L price differential.

BenMcr
05-02-2009, 14:20
No because you have already had the carrot in the loyalty deal! (which for you is roughly £10 more than the equivalent new customer one)

Oh for anyone else reading, that particular Customer Relations deal no longer exists ;)

bargepole
05-02-2009, 14:48

To that end...I'm on a retention deal of TV XL, Phone XL, BB M for ~£36 per month (I think the loyalty discount is around £23). How much will it cost for an upgrade to BB L and will I keep my discount?

I'm jiggered if I can work it out.

That's the problem, people seem to be paying different prices for the same service.

I'm on the same package as you minus the Phone XL and I pay £31, doubt they'll give me the Phone XL for £5 pm.

Does your £36 include the £11 line rental?

BenMcr
05-02-2009, 14:53
You are both talking about Loyalty deals and are then trying to compare them with the prices on the website.

The Loyalty deals were unpublished prices used as a last ditch effort to keep a customer. They are what they are. You can't swap between them

In addition, all the ones people have been talking about (including the two mentioned) are now gone. They no longer exist.

There are *some* options left that are designed to price match exactly with *some* combination of competitors pricing, but the big reductions are gone, and even the price match ones mostly require paying around £30-£40 a month.

Bascially from now on, for anyone not already on a Loyalty deal, the prices on the website (and the post I put up on here) are the prices you pay.

dav
05-02-2009, 15:15
I realise that the deal I'm on is a very good deal, on paper at least, and the CS rep was very understanding and did everything he could to ensure I stayed with VM.
However take, for instance, the phone XL. I suspect that was only added as past history on my account shows that I'm not a heavy phone user and so the actual cost of giving me that was minimal but sounded good over the phone. I knew that at the time the deal was offered as I pointed it out to him. He replied along the lines of, "Well, one day you may use the phone more." I don't, but we both understood where the other was coming from.

I'm not knocking my current deal, or that I can't save £3 on upgrading to BB L because of it, just seeking clarification for myself and others. Because I recognise I'm on such a good deal I don't want to do anything to risk losing it.

My original comment still stands though. The prices are a mess and, to be fair, things aren't much clearer with Sky.

EDIT: bargepole; yes line rental is included

Insomnicat
05-02-2009, 15:16
Ben,

Is there anyway to change my current XL Plus bundle to Triple XL as this would save me around £100 a year?

TIA

BenMcr
05-02-2009, 15:25
My original comment still stands though. The prices are a mess and, to be fair, things aren't much clearer with Sky.
Only thing I will say, is it is still a work in progress.

Virgin's prices are a lot better than they have been (i.e. overall for new customers fairly straightforward)

Existing customers looking to better the services for the price they pay (i.e. pay the same/slightly more and get more), should now find it a lot easier when speaking to Customer Services

Unfortuntely as I said before, it is purely customers on 'legacy' and Loyalty deals where it gets complicated.

Ben,

Is there anyway to change my current XL Plus bundle to Triple XL as this would save me around £100 a year?

TIA
Only through Customer Relatons (ironically). Remember though, that if you only paid £30 to have the V+ installed as part of the XL Plus, you would also have to pay £75 to convert to the lower V+ pricing otherwise you would still end up paying the same

If however you paid the higher install V+ and then upgraded to XL Plus, you can go back down again without having to pay the fee (obviously)

Also Triple XL with a V+ and a second STB is £61, so it would only be a saving of £4 amonth

gulf4uk
05-02-2009, 15:36
Phoned 150 got through no problem . Upgraded to M 10meg for Extra £3 which with my
discount already makes it £20.00 . is working fine 8 TO 9 meg at moment

DC_FC79
08-02-2009, 18:55
Does this still apply when you have a tv and phone as well the broadband, £14 a month after that.

When you take a Virgin Phone line for £11 a month.
Broadband Size: L Phone Size: M

heres a copy of the charges,

Telephone Line Rental 07 February - 06 March £11.00
Free Voicemail 07 February - 06 March £0.00
Talk Evenings & Weekends 07 February - 06 March £3.45
Sports 1,Sports 2 07 February - 06 March £19.00
V+ Box 07 February - 06 March £0.00
T V Size: X L 07 February - 06 March £22.00
Broadband Size: L 07 February - 06 March £25.00
Loyalty Pack B B / Phone / T V B 07 February - 06 March £-20.00

is that right,

BenMcr
08-02-2009, 19:28
Anyone on a Loyalty deal pays full price to upgrade

BB M always shows as £18
BB L always shows as £25
BB XL always shows as £37

The new prices are new discount bundles

eg BB L for £14 when you take Phone M for £11 is

BB L £25
Phone £11
Phone & BB Discount - £10
E-billing Discount -£1
=£25

So if you want to swap a £20 Loyalty discount for £10 standard discount go ahead

Ernie_C
08-02-2009, 19:31
Don't you just love those people with 'loyalty' discounts aka 'I threatened to leave and got a great discount'.

I, personally, would not let them change their services without losing the discount. I would, however, let them take a current bundle deal - generous person that I am.

BenMcr
08-02-2009, 19:35
Sorry, edited post after you quoted it ;)

RubberyDuck
08-02-2009, 19:44
VM must be making money with these Loyalty Discounts, so why not just give everyone them. I'm sure there sales would increase.

BenMcr
08-02-2009, 20:00
VM must be making money with these Loyalty Discounts, so why not just give everyone them. I'm sure there sales would increase.
Nope, they haven't, which is why all the Loyalty discounts everyone has been talking about over the last 2 years don't exist anymore

chamelion
09-02-2009, 09:49
ben i noticed in your post: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34725983-post45.html
you've written:

am i seeing cross eyed, aren't those exactly the same thing but with £15 price difference?

DC_FC79
09-02-2009, 09:57
ben i noticed in your post: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34725983-post45.html
you've written:

am i seeing cross eyed, aren't those exactly the same thing but with £15 price difference?

your not cross eyed, they are the same thing

BenMcr
09-02-2009, 10:04
Sorry I meant

XL and Phone M - £31
XXL and Phone M - £46

dawry1
09-02-2009, 20:27
Re the new 10Mb price of £20

Web page states £15 for the first 6 months, then £20 thereafter

I just called customer services, he informed me that the "OFFER" was in fact based on £15 for s months, then £29 for the remaider of the 12 month contract period, Then a charge of £24 would be made, "as the customer contract states thet "Virgin Media" can change its costs at any time !!!!!!!

so, again mis information on the web page.

Bemused, long term customer of Broadband.

BenMcr
09-02-2009, 20:28
Nope, the webpage is correct for anyone signing up to that offer, the agent is the one that is wrong

DC_FC79
09-02-2009, 20:47
Ben so if i were take another service or upgrade 1 of them would i get any other reductions

Telephone Line Rental 07 February - 06 March £11.00
Free Voicemail 07 February - 06 March £0.00
Talk Evenings & Weekends 07 February - 06 March £3.45
Sports 1,Sports 2 07 February - 06 March £19.00
V+ Box 07 February - 06 March £0.00
T V Size: X L 07 February - 06 March £22.00
Broadband Size: L 07 February - 06 March £25.00
Loyalty Pack B B / Phone / T V B 07 February - 06 March £-20.00

BenMcr
09-02-2009, 20:57
Can I just ask on behalf of all the Virgin employees that come on here ;)

If you are going to ask what you can get, please can you post in full what you have! - Service charges AND discounts

Ta Very Kindly

cook1984
09-02-2009, 22:08
I was paying £25/month for 20 meg, but then they changed it back to £37 without warning. That is technically against the rules for Direct Debits, but...

Anyway, I called them up, got the difference refunded and downgraded to 10 meg. A few months later I got the 10 meg reduced to £20/month to match another provider.

dawry1
09-02-2009, 22:15
So if the current cost is £20 (£21 paper bill) per month, all existing subscibers to the L servise should get an automatic reduction to this level?

I await to hear from Customer services with this news, I feel that £20 is a fair price to pay for the 10Mb service.

BenMcr
09-02-2009, 22:22
Ben so if i were take another service or upgrade 1 of them would i get any other reductions
No, as you already get £20 worth of discount - which is up to £10 more that most people get as new customers.

The 2 for £25 only has £10 worth of discount, the 3 for £35 has £11.50 worth of discounts. To get the same discount you get you would be looking at Triple XL (£56) or higher

So if the current cost is £20 (£21 paper bill) per month, all existing subscibers to the L servise should get an automatic reduction to this level?
No. BB L is still £25 for anyone on it and still shows on the bills as such. The £20 price is achieved through a discount.

I feel that £20 is a fair price to pay for the 10Mb service. You can get BB L for £14, if you swap your phone service to Virgin

Pea-Pod
09-02-2009, 23:12
I've just upgraded my package on Virgin Media website - All I changed was my Broadband M to L - and it stated £20 per month - I didn't choose to tick the 'Wireless Router' option, but it still persisted in me choosing a date for installation for some reason?

I didn't have e-billing before so with the £1 discount I get for this, the upshot of what I'm hoping for is that I've basically upgraded from 2MB to 10MB or an extra £1 a month?

Go on someone, shatter my illusions of wishful thinking lol

This is my current package;

Telephone Line Rental £11.00
Voicemail £1.75
TV Size: M £0.00
Broadband Size: £18.00

P.S. - I got an email saying someone from CS will be contacting me, so I'll see what the outcome of that is.

bywater
10-02-2009, 03:55
Can someone confirm price of standalone 20 Meg broadband. On the website it says £35 but when I try to upgrade through my account it is quoting £37 so as it gone up by two pounds for existing customers and is £35 for new customers. That just stinks.

Peter_
10-02-2009, 07:50
Can someone confirm price of standalone 20 Meg broadband. On the website it says £35 but when I try to upgrade through my account it is quoting £37 so as it gone up by two pounds for existing customers and is £35 for new customers. That just stinks.
You are always best to call in as you may get a better deal over the phone as the website is just a computer.

Call 150 or 0845 454 1111

BenMcr
10-02-2009, 10:31
Its a £1 difference, the other is the e-billing discount

DC_FC79
10-02-2009, 20:24
No, as you already get £20 worth of discount - which is up to £10 more that most people get as new customers.

The 2 for £25 only has £10 worth of discount, the 3 for £35 has £11.50 worth of discounts. To get the same discount you get you would be looking at Triple XL (£56) or higher

ok thanks ben

Pea-Pod
10-02-2009, 21:34
Wow they've already upgraded my 2MB to 10MB!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/25.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Bargain of the year as far as I'm concerned :)

cook1984
10-02-2009, 23:25
Wait, Pea-Pod gets 10MB on the M package, why the hell am I paying for L again?

BenMcr
10-02-2009, 23:35
He won't be on BB M. There are no upgrades on BB M - it is still a 2Mbit service

DC_FC79
10-02-2009, 23:41
Must be a mistake then

sniper007
10-02-2009, 23:42
Ben you are very patient and helpful on here, so thanks for that. I currently have only one issue with my services, and thats the cost of the Broadband L compared to elsewhere, especially with STM and this new customers get it for £20 thing. I think priced at £20 it is worth it, but £25 it is not. I want to phone and get this changed and I am happy to get locked into a 12 monther, but will they then wipe out my retentions deal if I upgrade or start a new 12 month?
Maybe you can advise what I SHOULD pay compared to what I do currently?

I get Broadband L, TV XL, Phone M, Multiroom for £42 per month. Am I right in thinking new customers would get this for £44 + £5 for multiroom?
What are my chances of getting £5 off extra a month? Probably zero. What if I upgrade to Phone L for £3.45 to get £5 off saving £1.55 ?

And yes....I'm cheap. ;)

BenMcr
10-02-2009, 23:47
Ben you are very patient and helpful on here, so thanks for that. I currently have only one issue with my services, and thats the cost of the Broadband L compared to elsewhere, especially with STM and this new customers get it for £20 thing. I think priced at £20 it is worth it, but £25 it is not. I want to phone and get this changed and I am happy to get locked into a 12 monther, but will they then wipe out my retentions deal if I upgrade or start a new 12 month?
Maybe you can advise what I SHOULD pay compared to what I do currently?
The £20 is AFTER DISCOUNTS. It still shows as £25 on the bill

I get Broadband L, TV XL, Phone M, Multiroom for £42 per month. Am I right in thinking new customers would get this for £44 + £5 for multiroom?
What are my chances of getting £5 off extra a month? Probably zero. What if I upgrade to Phone L for £3.45 to get £5 off saving £1.55 ?

And yes....I'm cheap. ;)
Er I don't understand - you want to pay more?

Your deal is £42 and new customers pay £49 for the same stuff - even if they signed up today

sniper007
11-02-2009, 09:16
The £20 is AFTER DISCOUNTS. It still shows as £25 on the bill

Er I don't understand - you want to pay more?

Your deal is £42 and new customers pay £49 for the same stuff - even if they signed up today

Thanks for confirming my thoughts :). I don't get the "shows as £25" on the bill though. In fact, I don't get how much I truely pay for my broadband now.

Ernie_C
11-02-2009, 11:01
Thanks for confirming my thoughts :). I don't get the "shows as £25" on the bill though. In fact, I don't get how much I truely pay for my broadband now.
...so show us what appears on your bill....because BB L ALWAYS shows as a £25 line item on a bill.

BenMcr
11-02-2009, 11:03
Well it doesn't 'ALWAYS' as some short term offers do adjust the price ;) But they will last no more than 3/6 months.

Ernie_C
11-02-2009, 11:05
Well it doesn't 'ALWAYS' as some short term offers do adjust the price ;) But they will last no more than 3/6 months.
So sniper007 is either on a short-term offer and his price will go up or BB L shows as £25 on his bill. (I think it is probably the latter!)

sniper007
11-02-2009, 15:42
Here's my bill, Broadband L = £25. So basically I would normally pay according to my bill, 11 (phone M) + 22 (TV XL) + 25 (BB L) + 5 (multi room) = £63
But I get a loyalty discount of -£20 = £43
Then discount of Direct debit -£1 = £42

So when this "deal" runs out which people think it will do, it will go up to £62 per month? Or will it go up to what new customers would pay which is currently £49 I believe?

BenMcr
11-02-2009, 16:05
So when this "deal" runs out which people think it will doIt won't run out

joglynne
11-02-2009, 16:22
Ben I'm sorry if you have answered this question a lot of times in the past but I am very confused and feeling a bit miffed when I see the same packages as mine seemingly being offered to fellow customers at a cheaper price.

Basically I have Phone M @ £11, TV XL @ £22, BB L @ £25. but only get a £9.50 Bundle Saving. Would it be possible to get a loyalty discount of £20 the same as snipper007's and if so how?

sniper007
11-02-2009, 16:28
Ben I'm sorry if you have answered this question a lot of times in the past but I am very confused and feeling a bit miffed when I see the same packages as mine seemingly being offered to fellow customers at a cheaper price.

Basically I have Phone M @ £11, TV XL @ £22, BB L @ £25. but only get a £9.50 Bundle Saving. Would it be possible to get a loyalty discount of £20 the same as snipper007's and if so how?

I share your pain. No really I do. I can tell you the answer already. Virgin have stopped giving out these "retentions" based deals. Retentions are who you phone to threaten to cancel and are meant to be there as a last resort to get you to remain a customer by offering a good deal to stay. (Sorry if you already know this). A year or two ago, they used to do these deals and I have been on it for a little while now I think.
I know you are probably thinking it's easy for me to say that etc, but honestly I have seen people on the same as me and you with even lower prices. No joke. If you check back over old posts, you will see outrageous offers and deals that were given out. its not right, and I wish they would standardise it which is what they are now supposedly doing, hence you should NOT be able to get a deal better than the ones new customers can get or standard new pricing. Yes it is frustrating but honestly I know there are people out there that pay less than or the same as me who get max broadband and better phone lines.
I don't agree with it but if they allow it to happen then why shouldnt customers phone retentions for good deals if they are silly enough to give them out. I hardly even threatened to leave either. I just phoned up and said I want to pay less and then got that deal.

Ben please correct me if I am wrong.

DC_FC79
11-02-2009, 16:30

should you not be getting a bundle discount well you do get a bundle saving but its only £9.50,

hedgie
11-02-2009, 16:40
I share your pain. No really I do. I can tell you the answer already. Virgin have stopped giving out these "retentions" based deals. Retentions are who you phone to threaten to cancel and are meant to be there as a last resort to get you to remain a customer by offering a good deal to stay. (Sorry if you already know this). A year or two ago, they used to do these deals and I have been on it for a little while now I think.
I know you are probably thinking it's easy for me to say that etc, but honestly I have seen people on the same as me and you with even lower prices. No joke. If you check back over old posts, you will see outrageous offers and deals that were given out. its not right, and I wish they would standardise it which is what they are now supposedly doing, hence you should NOT be able to get a deal better than the ones new customers can get or standard new pricing. Yes it is frustrating but honestly I know there are people out there that pay less than or the same as me who get max broadband and better phone lines.
I don't agree with it but if they allow it to happen then why shouldnt customers phone retentions for good deals if they are silly enough to give them out. I hardly even threatened to leave either. I just phoned up and said I want to pay less and then got that deal.

Ben please correct me if I am wrong.

I know I'm not Ben;) but like you I have been trying to get the bottom of this. If I am right.. I think I am on this one.....The Retention Deals have gone, for good........ Those of us that are in the lucky position of having a loyalty bonus will keep it unless we opt to reduce our service. I think it also depends on where you are, ex NTL customers seem to have different deals to ex Telewest. We recently (well within the last 6 months ha...) got a letter from Virgin stating that they had been auditing their billing and were increasing our charges for broadband. My bill is now pretty much the same as many other posters on here with the same package.

Its not just Virgin that do this the Mobile phone companies will seem to do anything to keep you on a pay per month tariff. Thats one reason whey I keep my mobile seperate from my TV & BB.

sniper007
11-02-2009, 16:55
Yeah cheers Hedgie. If it helps, I am ex NTL. I also keep my mobile phone different from Virgin, but this is mainly due to coverage issues with the network. (in my area)

BenMcr
11-02-2009, 17:01

Sorry no. Those deals stopped in October 2008.

TBH the only reason they were there was because cable had a 'siege' mentality. There wasn't much they could to stop people going to other providers apart from chuck a load of cash at people

Now cable is in a much much stronger position. Better products, better pricing, better billing (really it is!) etc - so there is no longer a need to reduce stupidly from 'standard' bundled prices.

However in your case you should be able to argue to be put onto the £44 (TV XL, Talk Weekends, BB L) bundle for those services - the same as a new customer would get.

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:56 ----------

Ben please correct me if I am wrong.Pretty much right

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 15:59 ----------

We recently (well within the last 6 months ha...) got a letter from Virgin stating that they had been auditing their billing and were increasing our charges for broadband. My bill is now pretty much the same as many other posters on here with the same package.
Yup, they are really going for all those customers not on official deals. So all those customers that go on forums with 7 discounts or paying £5 for everything will get a letter soon (if they haven't already)

etccarmageddon
11-02-2009, 17:04
....The Retention Deals have gone, for good.......not from my recent experience.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33645097-virgin-media-reduce-prices-higher-tier-page-5.html

see page 5 post 73

joglynne
11-02-2009, 17:13
Thanks every one for your replys. Ben I will give Billings a call and see if I can persuade them to put me onto the £44 bundle but from past experience I shall probably hit an immovable blank wall. :( <Jo goes off for a coffee and to try to psych herself up to think positively.>

BenMcr
11-02-2009, 17:18
not from my recent experience.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33645097-virgin-media-reduce-prices-higher-tier-page-5.html

see page 5 post 73
Those are no longer avalaible and were also Sales offers - the same as a new customer could get

hedgie
11-02-2009, 17:40
Thanks every one for your replys. Ben I will give Billings a call and see if I can persuade them to put me onto the £44 bundle but from past experience I shall probably hit an immovable blank wall. :( <Jo goes off for a coffee and to try to psych herself up to think positively.>

To be fair the last time I phoned CS it was a much better customer experience than it ever was with NTL:).

joglynne
11-02-2009, 17:45
<snip>
However in your case you should be able to argue to be put onto the £44 (TV XL, Talk Weekends, BB L) bundle for those services - the same as a new customer would get.

:( Just been on to VM and have been told that there is no way I can have my current services cheaper. I mentioned the £44 and the rep said it wasn't anything he could offer me and couldn't figure how that price had been calculated. When I mentioned new customer prices/bundles I came up against the brick wall. " But you're not a new customer are you?" Full stop no negotiation. :(

He did offer me 20Mb for just over £5 extra a month but that's not something I need so altogether a frustrating phone call.

sniper007
11-02-2009, 18:25
:( Just been on to VM and have been told that there is no way I can have my current services cheaper. I mentioned the £44 and the rep said it wasn't anything he could offer me and couldn't figure how that price had been calculated. When I mentioned new customer prices/bundles I came up against the brick wall. " But you're not a new customer are you?" Full stop no negotiation. :(

He did offer me 20Mb for just over £5 extra a month but that's not something I need so altogether a frustrating phone call.

This is pretty much the same as a phone call I made in January. I phoned and said sky were offering good deals and that I wanted my BB price lowered etc and the guy on the phone was very firm and fair and basically stood up to my persistent badgering and efforts to the point where I laughed and said "your good" to which he replied "your cheap since your already on a discounted price". Had a good chuckle with him and he basically said exactly what Ben said that they cant do those deals anymore.Which is a good thing trust me.
I've never been unhappy with the pricing as such, but have always tried to exploit the retention deals where possible since a lot of others have done in the past with success. So I started doing it. Personally I am happy with my services from Virgin, except that I don't think the broadband is worth the moeny over ADSL anymore as long as the STM continues. But hey cant have it all.

etccarmageddon
11-02-2009, 19:28

He did offer me 20Mb for just over £5 extra a month but that's not something I need so altogether a frustrating phone call.I have no idea why you put up with this. if you are an existing customer paying more than a new customer, why would you stay with any organisation? I'd cancel on the spot if/when they treated me like that.

joglynne
11-02-2009, 20:00
I have no idea why you put up with this. if you are an existing customer paying more than a new customer, why would you stay with any organisation? I'd cancel on the spot if/when they treated me like that.

Sorry etccarmageddon but in my case I don't agree with your post.

Since my first phone call, with a guy in Billings who was very polite but didn't tell me what I wanted to hear :D, Ben has confirmed that the £44 bundle is not available to current customers at the moment. (Sorry to drag you into this Ben) and I am certainly not getting rid of my VM package for the sake of approximately £4 a month difference in the prices of identical packages available to new and old customers. Although a rationalization of prices sometime in the next 12 months would be welcome.

I am getting my services for the correct price. The fact that some people have been prepared to threaten to leave VM in the past in order to get discounts, or that new customers are attracted to VM by initially lower prices is irrelevant to me.

I don't have a BT line, or even a BT pole anywhere near my house and the signal from Sky is pants due to large trees so moving to other suppliers would cost me far more than I am prepared to pay for services I have no way of knowing would meet my needs any better.

BenMcr
11-02-2009, 20:55
Ben has confirmed that the £44 bundle is not available to current customers at the moment.
I would like to clarify how things work, if I may. the new bundle pricing is not avaliable if you are trying to just to make things cheaper without changing anything.

So if you say paying £54 for the TV XL, BB M and Phone L services, you would would most likely be offered Triple XL as that is the closest best value bundle avaliable, but you could not get the £44 bundle as that involves lowering your monthly price.

However, if you were paying £40.50 for TV XL, BB M and Phone M - the £44 bundle would probably be avaliable.

The offers avaliable are based on your current spending and the closest package/s.

TBH its all about trying to keep people paying the similar money - which is good for business - but at the same time give the customer more value for what they do pay.

etccarmageddon
12-02-2009, 00:53
Sorry etccarmageddon but in my case I don't agree with your post.

Since my first phone call, with a guy in Billings who was very polite but didn't tell me what I wanted to hear :D, Ben has confirmed that the £44 bundle is not available to current customers at the moment. (Sorry to drag you into this Ben) and I am certainly not getting rid of my VM package for the sake of approximately £4 a month difference in the prices of identical packages available to new and old customers. Although a rationalization of prices sometime in the next 12 months would be welcome.

I am getting my services for the correct price. The fact that some people have been prepared to threaten to leave VM in the past in order to get discounts, or that new customers are attracted to VM by initially lower prices is irrelevant to me.

I don't have a BT line, or even a BT pole anywhere near my house and the signal from Sky is pants due to large trees so moving to other suppliers would cost me far more than I am prepared to pay for services I have no way of knowing would meet my needs any better.ok, in your case it looks like you dont have a better option which is a shame because you are trapped with a supplier who appears to value new customers over existing ones.

andrewbrown
12-02-2009, 18:51
I would like to clarify how things work, if I may. the new bundle pricing is not avaliable if you are trying to just to make things cheaper without changing anything.

So if you say paying £54 for the TV XL, BB M and Phone L services, you would would most likely be offered Triple XL as that is the closest best value bundle avaliable, but you could not get the £44 bundle as that involves lowering your monthly price.

However, if you were paying £40.50 for TV XL, BB M and Phone M - the £44 bundle would probably be avaliable.

The offers avaliable are based on your current spending and the closest package/s.

TBH its all about trying to keep people paying the similar money - which is good for business - but at the same time give the customer more value for what they do pay.

I understand what you are saying Ben, but excluding people from deals on the basis of previous payments does seem a bit pleugh, and I can understand why some people are upset.

Imagine if you go into the chippy and ask for the offer of the day for "2 Portions of Chips £2", and then the chippy says, no you can't have this offer as you normally buy a kebab for £3. Bit mad, eh?

passingbat
12-02-2009, 19:10
I understand what you are saying Ben, but excluding people from deals on the basis of previous payments does seem a bit pleugh, and I can understand why some people are upset.

Imagine if you go into the chippy and ask for the offer of the day for "2 Portions of Chips £2", and then the chippy says, no you can't have this offer as you normally buy a kebab for £3. Bit mad, eh?

Good way of putting it and exposing the bad practices that are going on.

BenMcr
12-02-2009, 19:17
What is more like is if you buy a TV for £500 and then 3 months later it becomes £300. You couldn't go back and ask for £200 back.

However if you wanted to do so next time for the same £500 you could get the TV and a Blu-Ray player

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Good way of putting it and exposing the bad practices that are going on.
Although I have done so myself in response to the above post, It is hardly a accurate comparison for monthly charges compared with one off costs

And decided to come cause trouble on here as well as Digital Spy? ;)

Same advice applies as on there. Everyone has two options if they don't like the price they are paying:

1) Do something about it
2) Don't do something about it.

passingbat
12-02-2009, 20:13
What is more like is if you buy a TV for £500 and then 3 months later it becomes £300. You couldn't go back and ask for £200 back.

However if you wanted to do so next time for the same £500 you could get the TV and a Blu-Ray player

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Although I have done so myself in response to the above post, It is hardly a accurate comparison for monthly charges compared with one off costs

And decided to come cause trouble on here as well as Digital Spy? ;)

Same advice applies as on there. Everyone has two options if they don't like the price they are paying:

1) Do something about it
2) Don't do something about it.

Your TV analogy isn't really valid, because it's one off purchase rather than an on going service.

Electricity is not a perfect but more suitable analogy; if the rate per unit goes up or down, my payments do the same automatically. Why, if someone is on BBL only, hasn't their price reduced to £20 per month --- the only price quoted on the Virgin website (after introductary x month offers).

I am doing something about it ---- I'm expressing my views on forums that I think the Virgin Customer fair pricing statement is false, their pricing structure is unfair to loyal customers and that they seem to make the pricing rules up to suit particular situations to sustain this, eg. the one service BBL is a bundle! If enough people complain in public forums, something may get done about it.

As for causing trouble, never!:D And I do keep mentioning my appreciation for your help!:)

DC_FC79
12-02-2009, 20:27
If enough people complain in public forums, something may get done about it.

As for causing trouble, never!:D And I do keep mentioning my appreciation for your help!:)

surely its better and virgin may take more notice if we voice our concerns vocally

BenMcr
12-02-2009, 20:37
I think Virgin may take more notice if people vote with their wallets ;)

DC_FC79
12-02-2009, 20:42

true

passingbat
12-02-2009, 20:59

surely its better and virgin may take more notice if we voice our concerns vocally

We should do it all ways possible; the more ways, the more people, the better.

Turkey Machine
12-02-2009, 21:24
Your TV analogy isn't really valid, because it's one off purchase rather than an on going service.

Electricity is not a perfect but more suitable analogy; if the rate per unit goes up or down, my payments do the same automatically. Why, if someone is on BBL only, hasn't their price reduced to £20 per month --- the only price quoted on the Virgin website (after introductary x month offers).[/b]

I am doing something about it ---- I'm expressing my views on forums that I think the Virgin Customer fair pricing statement is false, their pricing structure is unfair to loyal customers and that they seem to make the pricing rules up to suit particular situations to sustain this, eg. the one service BBL is a bundle! If enough people complain in public forums, something may get done about it.

I take issue with that; you don't use the TV on a one-off basis. It's a service in much the same way your internet bill is. The issue here is, Virgin isn't budging much on the price you can have the internet for, and they still roll out the red carpet for new customers while existing ones are treated like prisoners.

passingbat
12-02-2009, 21:37
I take issue with that; you don't use the TV on a one-off basis. It's a service in much the same way your internet bill is. The issue here is, Virgin isn't budging much on the price you can have the internet for, and they still roll out the red carpet for new customers while existing ones are treated like prisoners.

Ben wasn't talking about the TV service ---- he was talking about buying the TV its self ---- that's what I dissagreed with him about it being a good analogy.

I think you and me are in agreement.

andrewbrown
12-02-2009, 22:11
Yes, its more like renting a TV for £50 a month, then they reduce the price for new customers to £30 a month, but leave the existing customers on £50.

I can see what they are trying to do. Sky have always quoted their prices with out the obligatory Phone line from BT price, so Virgin have been trying to match. I get that. But when you quote services prices as what would be an add on price to an existing service, which is different to what appears on your bill, that is both confusing and misleading. Why don't they say that BBL is £25, and we will give you a discount on your exisiting services of £5? I'd be really happy as I would understand the deal and understand the bill?

Ignitionnet
14-02-2009, 22:11
2Mbit has been retired as a new service and will be retired as an existing one at some point, with customers being offered an upgrade to 10Mbit. 2Mbit will likely become a retention level tier and is perhaps going to be an 'S' tier.

As far as the whole capacity thing goes it shouldn't be a major issue as between STM and spreading the 10Mbit traffic across both the legacy platform and the new overlay network it should be alright.

*Hides and lets the discussion run*

andrewbrown
15-02-2009, 01:15
Not sure that it makes sense to "retire" the tier that contains the majority of your customers? :erm:

darren.b
15-02-2009, 01:47
Sold a 20mbit package, getting on average 6mbit.

Maybe I should just bend over and take it?

Mattey
16-02-2009, 17:44
Ok i'm confused with this

Currently we are paying for

£25 - 10mb Internet
£10 - Phone rental nothing else
£5.50 TV - I cancelled this last thursday & being offered the freeview version.

Do i get discounts or what not? :)

DaggaDagga
17-02-2009, 14:29
I upgraded from 2Mb (M) to 10Mb (L) broadband the other day. We have the L phone service (evening/weekends) but no TV service.

We were paying £24.45 before, the price for L broadband + L phone was £31.45. Was reluctantly happy with this, but thought it sounded a little high.

Rang the retentions wheeler-dealers today, after reading this thread. Didn't even threaten to leave, just pressed the option for leaving on the phone menu after dialling 150. I just said it sounded expensive.

Was offered L broadband + L phone for £24.40 (5p less than before the upgrade!). This is a 12-month deal.

Instead I upgraded to L broadband + XL phone (all UK landline calls free) for £25.95.

All the above prices are subject to £1 reduction after I sort out e-billing. I will now pay £24.95 for L broadband + XL phone. They'll certainly get my custom for another 12 months at this price.

Sleeper919
17-02-2009, 16:54
I can't wait until Virgin get some direct competitors. C'mon BT! Get those fibre optic networks sorted! Then our bills will hopefully look better.

DC_FC79
17-02-2009, 17:43
I can't wait until Virgin get some direct competitors. C'mon BT! Get those fibre optic networks sorted! Then our bills will hopefully look better.

Im also waiting for this day and would welsome any price reduction but i feel we could be waiting a long time,

etccarmageddon
17-02-2009, 17:56
BT have their own financial problems right now so dont hold your breath.

Sleeper919
17-02-2009, 18:30
Are any other companies likely to upgrade to cable? Or is the expense just too great?

etccarmageddon
17-02-2009, 18:45
I think you mean Fibre not Cable!

Sleeper919
17-02-2009, 18:56
Sorry, I meant cable as opposed to ADSL.

DaggaDagga
17-02-2009, 20:38
Could any company get the necessary permission to dig up all the roads these days? Weren't the cable co's originally given special permission or something?

It doesn't sound like the sort of thing that would happen during a global depression anyway.

I think we're stuck with BT (+unbundled ISPs) versus Virgin. I doubt BT will be installing fibre in anything other than new-build for a long time, so Virgin may be the only option for anyone after a high speed connection.

ADSL is falling behind now, even if you do live on top of the BT exchange.

IMO Virgin will be the premium broadband supplier, and ADSL will be picking up the scraps that are left over, until BT can find a few billion down the back of the sofa anyway.

Zhadnost
19-02-2009, 11:27
ADSL still has a considerably larger coverage, especially within non-residential areas.

Peter_
19-02-2009, 11:44
ADSL still has a considerably larger coverage, especially within non-residential areas.

That is because they use BT phone lines and Virgin are no longer installing cable due to costs, but overall cable can offer a more stable service and faster speeds as it is not governed by distance from the exchange.

broadbandking
19-02-2009, 12:49
Very true but can still suffer from congestion just like adsl and is still run by contention

JohnC
19-02-2009, 22:45
Steering this thread closer to topic, I thought you might be interested in my experience today. I phoned to add mobile broadband to my package at the current £5 special offer (including free modem until 28/2) and ended up paying £5 LESS overall.

Okay, reading this thread, I wasn't on a good deal to start with. Ex Ntl, long term, my billing for BB L, Phone M with a free second line was:
Line Rental 14 February - 13 March £11.00
1 Additional Line(s) 14 February - 13 March £11.00
Free Line Rental 14 February - 13 March £-11.00
Broadband Size: L 14 February - 13 March £25.00
E Bill Discount 14 February £-1.00
Total £35 - less the VAT kludge of course.

Coincidentally this morning some junk mail - not addressed to me - came through the door promoting a BB L and Phone M deal at £14+£11 "to new customers only". After ordering the mobile BB I mentioned this and asked why I was paying £10 more than that. Immediately, the agent said "I'll just check if you qualify for that offer" and moments later came back with a YES! I guess I was 'adding another service' to my package. Signed for another 12 months of course which doesn't bother me.

A pleasant and efficient agent, no threats involved and I expect my next e-bill to be under £30 including the mobile BB. Result!

DaggaDagga
20-02-2009, 16:25
Hello JohnC. Sounds like you got a good deal there. The Virgin bartering system always makes me laugh.

I'm just wondering how your free second phone line came about? I'm after a second line myself - was this an offer years ago?

Thanks.