PDA

View Full Version : Rewiring?

AGray
28-01-2009, 16:43
Hi

Today i receieved a text message from Virgin Media which simply stated that on such a day, an engineer would come around to the house to carry out some work. Numbers where left to contact them if i had any questions.

Which i did. Mainly because i havent contacted Virgin Media in the past few months, so this came as a suprise to me to know that someone is going to come around to do stuff.

I phoned them, and they didnt really know why i had an engineer booked, but looking further into it it seems to have been something about rewiring. Again i was confused about it.

My cable-cables run through next doors box, so im assuming that maybe THEY have the issues, but i dont know. Regardless, what can i expect to happen when they come at the alloted time?

I might not be available, so my mum will probably be in. But will all the work be carried out outside, or will they need to go into the house to carry out any necessary work - and even change any settings on my computer/router?

MovedGoalPosts
28-01-2009, 16:59
The explaination is in the "cable-cables run through next doors box". That should never have happenned. Someone has realised that and now needs to provide your property with its own dedicated connection to the street cabinet. It's likely they will be pulling a new cable through your garden and will need to router and connect that to wherever your modem / Set Top Box is located. They will therefore no doubt need access into your house.

AGray
28-01-2009, 19:11
I was always confused over why it had to go through the neighbours box, especially since the connection doesnt seem stable at the moment on most days - Even the neighbours reported it before Christmas, so perhaps this is why its being brought up now...

Do they have a "plan" in place usually as to where the new box will go, or will i/someone else have to advise on where we want it? Is it usually a messy job/lots of cleaning up or is it simple and precise? Aaaand finally, how long does it take without complications? About an hour? 2? A day? :p

thamesvalley
31-01-2009, 19:39
Regardless of whether you were installed via your neighbour or not, no-one should be making appointments to visit your property without first contacting you, especially considering this may involve digging up your garden to pull in your own dedicted cable. Check than VM have the coorect contact numbers for you on the system in case they left a voicemail on an old number etc.

I would personally phone back and ask to speak to whovever booked your order and ask for a full explanation as to why/who booked it. If it is in fact a repull order and you have concerns about the route, insist on a PIV (pre-installation Visit) before the actual work is done.

AGray
31-01-2009, 19:48
I did speak to someone in Customer Services prior to the visit, just to get some information about it. They said when i had the initial problem a few months ago - when the engineer came around, he marked it for a future date to be rectified.

But alas, the rewiring was completed. Thankfully everything they did was left outside of the house, whereas i expected them to pull out old cables to add new ones, so that was a huge relief. Only took about 30minutes i guess.

Hope either way this fixes the issues ive had over the past few weeks, losing connectivity for hours on end. Guess i'll find out tomorrow!

thamesvalley
31-01-2009, 19:51
sorry, forgot to answer some of your questions - without knowing exactly how you've been wired up e.g if you have your own omni box or not, its dificult to say but if you have an omni box, the crew will normally pull a drop ca ble into that. If not, they usually locate it at a logical point on your property along your temporary feed as to avoid re-running any of the cables that go inside your property.
how long it will take really depends on the length/dificulty of the pull.
this along with the size and type of garden all makes it impossible to say exactly how long it will take.
generally, if you have a small garden and ther'es a route accross grass to the omni box, the crew shouldn't take more than an hour. If you have a landscaped garden or a driveway to cross it could be longer. cant comment about mess other than they should make good once finished.
Generally Block paved driveways will not be lifted.

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

oops, so busy typing my extra bit i missed your post saying it was all domne! oh well, might help someone else in the future! ;-)