PDA

View Full Version : Fair use, download limits (mb/month)

nemof
28-01-2009, 00:14
I know that Virgin operates a fair usage policy which includes provisions for amount of mb/month.

I checked my router because my newsgroups download speed was coming in at under 300kb/s and I knew that I hadn't downloaded anything in the daytime to trigger the cap in speed. This month I have hit 80gig+ in downloads.

That's something of a record for me, as I usually do somewhere from 40-50gig/month, but I recently got into watching HD movies.

I assume under Virgins policy I have been temporarily capped? My own fault entirely, but I was wondering, might they disconnect me entirely and will they send me written warnings?

moaningmags
28-01-2009, 00:19
It depends whether your cable or adsl.
If it's cable, the cap only lasts for 5 hours from the time it was imposed.
I don't know the limits for adsl, sorry.
It also depends whether you're downloading illegal material. But latest press information says they won't disconnect.

nemof
28-01-2009, 00:34
It's cable.

What I was worried about was that there seems to be a cap but it isn't in response to downloading in the daytime, but perhaps to the amount I've downloaded this month.

I'll have to check tomorrow. I can't say that all of what I'm downloading is legal, it's just unfortunate that Virgin makes its very useful newsgroup binary servers available to us!

moaningmags
28-01-2009, 00:57
They don't operate a monthly limit.
They only monitor from 10am - 3pm and 4pm -9pm for download and 3pm - 8pm for upload.
This is done on a daily basis and not counted towards a monthly total.
If you think you're being managed outwith these times, please either contact VM either by phone or by use of the newgroups.
It may well be your UBR has utilisation issues or any of a number of things.