PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Live / HALO 3.. Serious LAG on Virgin BroadBand

Davey
27-01-2009, 22:21
For the last two weeks most XBOX live games have been unplayable.. I've been on the phone to virgin who say everything is fine but my speed keeps dropping to less than 1mb! They say I should upgrade to 10mb and that will fix the problem... Well I dont really think that is a fair statement as it never lagged before the begining of last week :mad:

Does anyone else have a problem with XBOX live and VBB?

I can be in the middle of a game of Halo3 for example and then suddenly it starts lagging like hell!

tomjleeds
28-01-2009, 14:36
Upgrading won't help, the problem is most likely an overloaded UBR. Have the exact same problems here, though there have only been a few occasions where it's been completely unplayable (yes, I partake in a spot of Halo from time to time). Low speeds don't tend to be the issue, it's once you start getting unreliable pings and packet loss that it all gets messed up.

Davey
28-01-2009, 14:44
A fellow Halo addict :D lol..

Last night they 're-added' my modem to the network and for 15 minutes it was perfect (1.9meg) and a clean connection but it quickly dropped back down to less than 1meg and became un-usable.

Its doing my head in :(

If the network is over-subscribed I suppose I'm doomed :(

dafry
28-01-2009, 15:08
if you get a chance guys have a look on here

http://forums.xbox.com/25193791/ShowPost.aspx

all is explained in the first post, it wont help fix your problem instantly but could help in the long run

Davey
28-01-2009, 15:16
Posted :)

dafry
28-01-2009, 16:15
nice one davey...

i have responded over there and dont want to untidy this forum so keep an eye on that thread

Noggo
28-01-2009, 23:31
Quote from the xbox forum link quoted above.

so i plugged the 20 meg back in and had the usual problems, which are that i simply cannot host a room of more than 6 people on vegas2 without serious amounts of lag for everyone in the room..

You want a lot from your 768 kb/s upload speed (which will probably be around 90 KB/s with overheads). Unsure what network server settings are available in game to limit client side connections, but my bet is around 15KB/s or so for each player connecting which in your case 6, 6x15=90 opps no more available upload left to play with, LAG.

dafry
29-01-2009, 11:45
Quote from the xbox forum link quoted above.

You want a lot from your 768 kb/s upload speed (which will probably be around 90 KB/s with overheads). Unsure what network server settings are available in game to limit client side connections, but my bet is around 15KB/s or so for each player connecting which in your case 6, 6x15=90 opps no more available upload left to play with, LAG.

if only it was as simple as that ...i know people with half the upload speed that i have that can host 16 people on the same game with np's

gaming has/is and probably allways be a nightmare..but this problem goes a little bit deeper than the usual upload / ping / modem etc etc issues that are normally the case.

believe me if you read the whole thing we have tested nigh on everything. and when i went to the virgin hub (the place with all the servers, think its called a hub lol) i managed to host a room of 10 on a 2 meg connection!!

dont mean to poo poo what you are saying at all.

Davey
30-01-2009, 20:09
Well I've 'upgraded' to 10meg as suggested by Virgin and its still a lag fest! NOT HAPPY! Its got to be massive packet loss issues!

dafry
31-01-2009, 09:11
Well I've 'upgraded' to 10meg as suggested by Virgin and its still a lag fest! NOT HAPPY! Its got to be massive packet loss issues!

i bet

davey can you please post this on the xbox thread, i cant seem to find your original post on there?

as i believe i said i didnt think it'd matter what speed you went to for some reason the problem would be the same, if i were you i would downgrade and keep an eye on that thread

Davey
31-01-2009, 20:00
My new 10meg line is AMAZING:

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1233429642&v=6154718

NOT!

cook1984
01-02-2009, 01:02
You want a lot from your 768 kb/s upload speed (which will probably be around 90 KB/s with overheads).

Ha, try more like 50k.

The problem is down to the way VM does queuing to limit your speed. Anything over about 50k/sec and your latency is going to start rocketing. A router with advanced traffic shaping can help somewhat, but even then you will only get another 10k more.

That is all assuming your UBR is no overloaded, of course. It sounds like the OP's is, so he is basically stuffed until VM decide to upgrade it.

Stabhappy
01-02-2009, 01:07
Proper QOS will help massively, being able to saturate the upload and simultaniously maintain low pings.

Noggo
01-02-2009, 15:46
Ha, try more like 50k.

The problem is down to the way VM does queuing to limit your speed. Anything over about 50k/sec and your latency is going to start rocketing. A router with advanced traffic shaping can help somewhat, but even then you will only get another 10k more.

That is all assuming your UBR is no overloaded, of course. It sounds like the OP's is, so he is basically stuffed until VM decide to upgrade it.

So it's even less upload bandwidth than I thought :LOL:.

and yep, time to get high TX load confirmed by newsgroup support and speak to CS and get a reduction in price.

sparxy1968
01-02-2009, 19:41
Hi Davey

Where abouts are you in Berkshire? I am having HUGE issues with my BB service in the Bracknell area at the moment and have invested a lot of time and effort speaking to Tech Support, CS and more to resolve the matter.

Essentially I have discovered the following...

The UBR I am on (don't have the name handy but I think it's one in Winnersh Traingle near reading) has been confirmed as over subscribed. An engineer I spoke to also confirmed that he could see that it was over subscribed by about 140%. He also searched for any plans for a new UBR and could not find any in his database. This means he could not resolve my problem, end of discussion.

To give you an example of what I have been suffering.

I had a 20 meg line and would nightly test this. I found that commonly I was receiving about 1.5 megs but this would regularily drop to 500k. This has been happening since September 2008. I also have packet loss in the region of 10 - 25% at the worst times.

I have complained several times by phone and was told to submit a complaint online. When I did I received an email asking me to write to them.

It looks to me as if they are holding back on a new UBR for 20meg and under services while they focus on the 50meg fibre services which frankly sucks.

Let me know if this all sounds horribly familiar.....

pabscars
02-02-2009, 13:21
hi Guys, as some of you may know, ive been suffering with my 20Mb connection for a while now, when connected via my xbox and playing games like cod5.

however i have noticed that when using my PS3 and playing the same game cod5, my lag is so bad it is virtually unplayable, and much much worse than the xbox.

The funny thing is my wife bought me the PS3 for christmas as i kept moaning about the lag on the xbox, ah well you cant win them all i suppose.

I just wanted to ask one question and that is, does anyone else have the same issue with the PS3 being worse

Noggo
02-02-2009, 14:13
At this moment I can only compare PC and PS3, as I've lent my Xbox out to a friend.

There's hardly no difference between the both. Not that I've a lot to compare though on the PS3 side, as I only play Resistance 2 online. I think I might be able to borrow a copy COD5 from a friend and have a play.

When I did have the Xbox last hooked up to my VM connection, I was suffering with over-subscription issues and both Xbox and PC where pants. I didn't really test Xbox after issues had been resolved, as I was too busy catching up for the pervious 8 months lost with a pig of a connection and the PC has the games I like the most.

pabscars
02-02-2009, 15:56
No probs Noggo, i know i blame vm for a lot of my problems but i dont think i can blame them for the big difference between the 2 consoles, at least i can play half decent on my xbox but the PS3 is so bad its almost funny. The reason i bought cod 5 for both consoles was to compare like for like with no exeptions, i might see if i can get hold of a copy of halo 3 and see how that fairs up on my 20 meg,

Just one more question, regarding people with lag, particularly ones on vm's 20 meg, what router are you using, i,m using the vm supplied netgear WGR614V9 one, anyone else

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:49 ----------

forgot to mention ive got resistance 2 for the xbox and when i played it online, found it impossible to kill anyone, apart from if i ran up behind them and knifed them, again i would fire a full magazine into them fro them to turn round and kill me with a couple of shots, obviously i dont bother playing it anymore.

Noggo
02-02-2009, 16:19
Trendnet TEW-633GR, PC and PS3 are wired, only thing on wireless is the Laptop. Can't fault it really, as I don't even notice anyone else on network when I use PC for gaming. Also good signal / no speed drop off to wireless N laptop within the house and garden. Even used it to neighbours wireless G laptop some 50m away, when his net conn was down. I didn't speed test it, but general surfing didn't notice any difference. He was impressed with how fast the web pages loaded though, compared to his SKY mid conn (when working that is).

---------- Post added at 15:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

forgot to mention ive got resistance 2 for the xbox and when i played it online, found it impossible to kill anyone, apart from if i ran up behind them and knifed them, again i would fire a full magazine into them fro them to turn round and kill me with a couple of shots, obviously i dont bother playing it anymore.

Yes you have got net connection probs, if that happens. Well that or very slow reactions :).

pabscars
02-02-2009, 16:26
Yes you have got net connection probs, if that happens. Well that or very slow reactions :).[/QUOTE]

lol, that made me laugh, although there are plenty of young kids with much faster reactions, i can still give them a run for there money (connection dependant) at times. :D

Noggo
02-02-2009, 18:47
yes you can always blame your connection if you don't win ;)

cook1984
03-02-2009, 01:23
I've noticed a lot of people just ripping the LAN cable out or rebooting their modem if they are going to loose lately. You can't loose if you lag out before the match ends.

pabscars
03-02-2009, 10:06
yes you can always blame your connection if you don't win ;)

And often do :D

Noggo
03-02-2009, 11:48
I've noticed a lot of people just ripping the LAN cable out or rebooting their modem if they are going to loose lately. You can't loose if you lag out before the match ends.

Kids :)

I laugh when playing team games, when players on the losing side spec just before the game ends. So it looks like the losing side has fewer players.

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 ----------

Medic!!!!!!

braderz
06-02-2009, 19:36
Yeah i get it all the time, but mine are like spikes of lag. You start the game and its fine then all of a sudden Red Connection and every one starts glitching all over the place, its funny when i get the host and i start to lag i can just run round killing every one without them fighting back :cool:

dontpannic
06-02-2009, 20:10
Sounds silly, but are you sure you've set up your router correctly for the XBOX?

braderz
06-02-2009, 20:25
yeah im an IT techy so im pretty good with them kinda things the tech aspect of things, it works fine all day throughout the day when im off work, just on evenings between 5 and 9 ish

Davey
08-02-2009, 14:26
Well an engineer came out, tested the line and said its fine so he gave me a new modem (little black one, I had a blue NTL one)..

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1234100933&v=6225106

Its now working PERFECTLY! I've also found out my neighbour was having problems and he's just been sent a new modem too..

Do the new modems use the new DOCSIS 3.0 network or something?

Noggo
08-02-2009, 16:29
Has it resolved the Xbox LAG problems as well?

Davey
08-02-2009, 19:11
Yep! My problems were down to massive packet loss it would seem.. Working like an absoloute dream now!