PDA

View Full Version : Moving equipment

djmagnifique
27-01-2009, 20:24
OK, so my wife is pregnant so i'm gonna be losing my computer room in a few months time so need some advice on moving the equipment.

My current setup is downstairs have a V+ box and phone line, upstairs I have a V box and cable modem connected to the wall port via a splitter fitted by virgin.

The PC will be getting moved into the same room as ther V+ box.

The V box will be getting moved into our bedroom which is the next room to the computer room.

Can I take the splitter out of the computer room and connect it up in the room with the V+ box without any problems?

Can I run a good quality cable from the soccet in the computer room to the bedroom (would be between 10-20 metres depending on which route I take it)?

I know it will cost £99 for an engineer visit but want to try to avoid that if possible.

Cheers.

djmagnifique
31-01-2009, 19:51
I guess no one can help me with this then?

chickendippers
31-01-2009, 19:56
Moving stuff around has the potential to affect signal levels, it's impossible to say if it'll work in advance. Basically if it doesn't work, you'll need to get an engineer out to sort it.

Down the Pub
31-01-2009, 20:04
tbh mate i'm not 100% sure but wouldn't have thought it would much of a problem, my services were installed today and i have splitter from the main feed to v+ box and modem.

at my last house all i had was like yours, v+/phone downstairs and the a feed from the outside box to upstairs with a splitter for v box/modem.

so i would have thought you'd be ok, although as others may say - make sure of the cable and fixings as badly/incorrectly made cables may have an adverse effect not only on your equipment but also others. but if in doubt bite the bullet.