PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media 50mb PR.

InfiniteBiscuit
27-01-2009, 20:36
I didn't really know whether this forum would be applicable for such a topic, but if not I'm sure the moderators will kindly move it.

So, I've had my 50mb some weeks now, and I do very much like it at present (although, I need another bloody harddrive). I'm very impressed by the service I'm getting, as I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess.

So, I got a call yesterday whilst at work (I work for a rival ISP's Technical Support) asking me if I wanted to do PR work for the 50mb product, as I'm one of the first in the country to get it, apparently. Which is swell but I was wondering if anyone had heard about this? And whether any of you other 50mb customers have had a call asking the same of you.

See, I'm up for selling the product a bit, 'cause it is good and they're willing to give me monies. However; I wouldn't want it to infringe upon my current job in these 'hard times'.

They asked me a few things on the phone, as to how I use & find the service. They also want me to speak to one of them journalist people, and have a few photos taken. Sounds a bit, well... I dunno.

What ya think?

Peter_
27-01-2009, 20:43
I didn't really know whether this forum would be applicable for such a topic, but if not I'm sure the moderators will kindly move it.

So, I've had my 50mb some weeks now, and I do very much like it at present (although, I need another bloody harddrive). I'm very impressed by the service I'm getting, as I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess.

So, I got a call yesterday whilst at work (I work for a rival ISP's Technical Support) asking me if I wanted to do PR work for the 50mb product, as I'm one of the first in the country to get it, apparently. Which is swell but I was wondering if anyone had heard about this? And whether any of you other 50mb customers have had a call asking the same of you.

See, I'm up for selling the product a bit, 'cause it is good and they're willing to give me monies. However; I wouldn't want it to infringe upon my current job in these 'hard times'.

They asked me a few things on the phone, as to how I use & find the service. They also want me to speak to one of them journalist people, and have a few photos taken. Sounds a bit, well... I dunno.

What ya think?
If it is genuine I would say considering your line of work that you do not get involved as it would be a conflict of interest on your part, and if the press got a whiff of who you worked for they would have a field day at your expense and you could find yourself unemployed.

InfiniteBiscuit
27-01-2009, 20:47
It's a somewhat awkward situation, I reckon I should probably give them a call tomorrow to say no. Due to working for a rival ISP. It's outsourced, but still I doubt it'd be seen that way.

v0id
27-01-2009, 21:39
It's a somewhat awkward situation, I reckon I should probably give them a call tomorrow to say no. Due to working for a rival ISP. It's outsourced, but still I doubt it'd be seen that way.

Why, unless who you work for offers an alternative to the 50Mb service?

Peter_
27-01-2009, 21:39
I think your job is more important, and I do not think Virgin would be very happy if any of their Becogent staff from Scotland helped to publicize a rival ISP such as BT or similar because obviously your picture would be published and someone would see it and management be shown it and you can imagine the rest:td:

moaningmags
27-01-2009, 22:15
I think your job is more important, and I do not think Virgin would be very happy if any of their Becogent staff from Scotland helped to publicize a rival ISP such as BT or similar because obviously your picture would be published and someone would see it and management be shown it and you can imagine the rest:td:

I would think the same would apply whether it was BeCogent, Adecco or IBM.

To the OP

While I think it would be great for you as a customer, saving you some money. I think your employer may not think the same and as Moldova says, the press would have a field day.

LondonRoad
27-01-2009, 22:18
VM don't pay your bills....So NO.. unless you're allowed to wear a false beard, dress, or both if it disguises you. ;)

Peter_
27-01-2009, 22:37
I would think the same would apply whether it was BeCogent, Adecco or IBM.

To the OP

While I think it would be great for you as a customer, saving you some money. I think your employer may not think the same and as Moldova says, the press would have a field day.
I used BeCogent as an example as he said he did not work direct but of course they would think the same about Adecco or IBM staff.

---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

VM don't pay your bills....So NO.. unless you're allowed to wear a false beard, dress, or both if it disguises you. ;)
If he went through with it things could and probably would be made very difficult for him and fault could be found with his work to enable his swift dismissal, these companies do not work nicely or play by the rules.

moaningmags
27-01-2009, 22:40
If he went through with it things could and probably would be made very difficult for him and fault could be found with his work to enable his swift dismissal, these companies do not work nicely or play by the rules.

I agree.

InfiniteBiscuit
27-01-2009, 23:37
Cheers guys, I shall call them tomorrow to let them know.

Ignitionnet
28-01-2009, 01:10
I would say this would be a clear conflict of interest with your current job and is probably covered by your present contract as a big no-no.

I'm amused that VM are really this desperate for publicity for their 50Mbit product. Perhaps if they put as much effort into fixing the problems with it as they are into pimping it gordonuk's service would be working properly.

Typical bloody VM. Marketing and PR above substance of the product, why make the product exceptional when you can spend money on a product that's barely passable and in some cases non-functional while hiring Samuel L Jackson to promote it.

Bumholes.

chickendippers
28-01-2009, 02:51
I seem to remember ntl going round and doing something similar to their 2 millionth (?) broadband customer. Nothing new IMO.