PDA

View Full Version : US Timeline V - 2009 : Season 1

sir_drinks_alot
27-01-2009, 18:08
ABC has officially greenlit a pilot for its reworking of V ! 80's sci-fi great !
so we can talk about this up comeing tv event i'm going to set up a thread for talk and casting info that sort of thing

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117999086.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&nid=2565

v universe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_(science_fiction)

MovedGoalPosts
27-01-2009, 18:15
They should cast Freddie Starr as one of the aliens. After all they did seem to enjoy eating a lot of rodents :D

Stuart
27-01-2009, 19:19
SDA, I've fixed the Wiki link (looks like vbulliten messed it up).

I am looking forward to a V remake but one thing I hope they keep is the references to facism in this country. Kenneth Johnson has said that the original V was based (at least in part) on the treatment of other races/faiths (in particular, the Jewish) by the Nazis in the second world war. I think that is part of what made V actually quite a powerful drama.

Will21st
28-01-2009, 12:33
V Reboot? BRING IT ON!!:)

smeagoly1
28-01-2009, 13:25
I just can't wait.
I wonder who will play the character diana....... goes off for a very cold shower in liquid oxygen now :)
If it's made to the same standards of BSG then it's going to be another classic.

Chris
28-01-2009, 14:47
I am looking forward to a V remake but one thing I hope they keep is the references to facism in this country.

I presume you mean in the US, rather than the UK?

Kenneth Johnson has said that the original V was based (at least in part) on the treatment of other races/faiths (in particular, the Jewish) by the Nazis in the second world war.

I'm amazed he felt the need to say it, they really did lay it on with a trowel - to the point of having a token Jewish family on hand to explain how everyone should learn from the mistakes of the past.

I would like to see this done, but I'm just a tad concerned. Original BSG was tea-time cheese for kids so it was possible to re-do it without damaging the legacy of something that was hardly a classic first time round. Original V, on the other hand, is already the kind of gritty adult drama that new BSG is. All its really missing is 21st century production techniques.

To put it another way, I'm not convinced whether they really can 're-imagine' the concept in the way BSG was done; they are liable to simply end up with a re-make, and re-makes are, IMO, more often than not pointless and not an improvement on the original.

And what's V without Jane Badler anyway? :D

Tezcatlipoca
29-01-2009, 01:02
No Ken Johnson for this one? :(

I guess this remake/reboot has scuppered any chance Johnson had for his proposed sequel.

---------- Post added at 01:02 ---------- Previous post was at 00:11 ----------

I guess this remake/reboot has scuppered any chance Johnson had for his proposed sequel.

Apparently not.

He has the movie rights, Warner Bros have the TV rights.

http://www.kennethjohnson.us/V-News.html

Update 1/26/09 - ABC and Warners TV continue to develop a reimagined version of V for a possible episodic TV series, with which Kenny is not involved. This does not affect Kenny's ongoing efforts to remake his original classic as a major motion picture.

Kenny’s prime desire is to bring big-screen production values to the new V movie while carefully protecting the timeless story, the characters, quality, integrity and substance that make his original V such a favorite of worldwide audiences and a critically acclaimed, international landmark.

More soon.

Although of course he needs backing if he's ever gonna make it...

sir_drinks_alot
29-01-2009, 10:25
another thing that made the original v so good was the music it was so powerfull it was like it was a extra character in the show.

Chris
29-01-2009, 10:31
another thing that made the original v so good was the music it was so powerfull it was like it was a extra character in the show.

Argh ... you'll have me humming that all day! :D

Trivia time now. Am I right in thinking that the original miniseries, shown on consecutive nights by ITV during the 1984 Olympics, wasn't originally shown in a single block in the USA?

The theme tune changes halfway through, is why I'm asking. The best version is the one used during the second half of the miniseries. All heavy drums and a repetitive electric piano riff, with a subtly changing bass line. They used a different one for the full-length series that was made, which IIRC may have been the same as the first couple of eps of the mini?

Any V trivia buffs out there? I did watch the re-runs of this on Sci Fi a couple of years ago but I can't remember now.

sir_drinks_alot
29-01-2009, 13:10
Argh ... you'll have me humming that all day! :D

Trivia time now. Am I right in thinking that the original miniseries, shown on consecutive nights by ITV during the 1984 Olympics, wasn't originally shown in a single block in the USA?

The theme tune changes halfway through, is why I'm asking. The best version is the one used during the second half of the miniseries. All heavy drums and a repetitive electric piano riff, with a subtly changing bass line. They used a different one for the full-length series that was made, which IIRC may have been the same as the first couple of eps of the mini?

Any V trivia buffs out there? I did watch the re-runs of this on Sci Fi a couple of years ago but I can't remember now.

yes indeed the original miniseries beat the 1984 Olympics in the rateings ! also v dose get on Sci Fi alot you have have to look out for it that's where i was able to watch V: the series for the first time i know about it but could never find the thing on tv untill it poped up on Sci Fi in about 98

Chris
29-01-2009, 13:12
I watched V: The Series on its first run on UK television, ITV (I think), mid 80s ... we used to discuss it at school the next morning, and moan about it being on so late at night. Am I showing my age now? :disturbd:

Pierre
30-01-2009, 09:49
I'm amazed he felt the need to say it, they really did lay it on with a trowel - to the point of having a token Jewish family on hand to explain how everyone should learn from the mistakes of the past.

Not forgetting the Nazi-esque jack boot uniforms, the swastika style emblem, and propaganda type posters they put up on the streets.

I'm suprised they didn't go the whole hog and have a lizard with a Hitler tash.

Will21st
30-01-2009, 14:23
not forgetting the nazi-esque jack boot uniforms, the swastika style emblem, and propaganda type posters they put up on the streets.

I'm suprised they didn't go the whole hog and have a lizard with a hitlertash.

:lol:

Tezcatlipoca
09-03-2009, 22:06
Morena Baccarin, the amazingly beautiful actress who played Inara in Firefly & Adria in SG-1, has been cast as one of the main aliens in the V reboot:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Pilot-Baccarin-Blanchard-1003805.aspx?rss=breakingnews&partnerid=imdb&profileid=01

sir_drinks_alot
10-03-2009, 07:10
Morena Baccarin, the amazingly beautiful actress who played Inara in Firefly & Adria in SG-1, has been cast as one of the main aliens in the V reboot:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Pilot-Baccarin-Blanchard-1003805.aspx?rss=breakingnews&partnerid=imdb&profileid=01

off to a good start i see :)

Tezcatlipoca
10-03-2009, 21:03
I just hope she doesn't have short hair in it like in that photo.

Tezcatlipoca
19-05-2009, 20:40
Official synopsis, plus some clips & promo images:

http://www.scificool.com/preview-new-v-official-synopsis-promo-images-and-clips/

Paul
19-05-2009, 21:06
A few people I know in it ;

Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet in Lost)
Alan Tudyk (Alpha in Dollhouse)
Morena Baccarin (Adria in Stargate)
Laura Vandervoort (Kara in Smallville)
Joel Gretsch (Tom in The 4400)

moaningmags
19-05-2009, 21:08
I've been ignoring this thread as I thought it was about the V+ box.

But ooooooh it's about V the tv programme, loved this first time around and will watch a reboot of it.

Tezcatlipoca
19-05-2009, 21:11
A few people I know in it ;

Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet in Lost)
Alan Tudyk (Alpha in Dollhouse)
Morena Baccarin (Adria in Stargate)
Laura Vandervoort (Kara in Smallville)
Joel Gretsch (Tom in The 4400)

Morena Baccarin & Alan Tudyk were also in Firefly :)

I've been ignoring this thread as I thought it was about the V+ box.

LOL :D

sir_drinks_alot
19-05-2009, 22:28
Official synopsis, plus some clips & promo images:

http://www.scificool.com/preview-new-v-official-synopsis-promo-images-and-clips/

Right ok mmmm that was interesting to say the least not a bit
Like the show i watch on dvd but i guess that's the point. from
The 2 clips thay showed on that site it has much going for it with
A good style and solid story. just hope it's given a chance to
Develope in to a good show. :)

*heads off to watch classic v dvd's :D*

Pierre
20-05-2009, 12:44
Looks good,

But what they need to do is give it a finite life.

Many series that start out open ended lose their way and subsequently their audience Lost, Prison Break, BSG all examples to that. Only when Lost and BSG were given an end date did they again gather momentum.

If , for example, you know that this series is only going to be 20 epeisodes long then you know you're heading to a conclusion.

Open ended series finales are proven not to be satisfactory.

I also think that when a series is cancelled the studio should always try and tie it up with mini-season.

Jericho was a good example of that.

Anonymouse
20-05-2009, 13:48
I caught it first time round and remember it fondly...mainly for Jane Badler. Rowf!

Mind you, Faye Grant was simultaneously strong and cute, very appealing. The characters were so well-written, especially Julie - I loved the way everyone just assumed she was going to take charge of the Resistance when she in fact had no intention whatsoever of doing so, and looked utterly nonplussed (and more than a bit scared) when she realised it. Elizabeth was a bit of a deus ex machina, but all the same it was a good series.

Some of the lines were classics - remember the exchanges between Diana and Pamela (Sarah Douglas, looking awful with curls)? Utter bitchiness to equal anything out of Dallas or Dynasty (and no, I did not watch either of those - it would be more accurate to say the rest of the family inflicted them on me while I prayed for sweet, sweet death):

"You might take a moment to consider, my dear, that your...lover...sent you fifty trillion kilometres away. Hardly an indication he can't bear not to see you."

On the impromptu skydive:

Donovan: Cadets really do this?
Martin: No - (boots Donovan over the edge) - sounded good, though, didn't it?

Martin and Willie on receiving the vaccine:

Martin: I've tasted worse.
Willie: When?

Elias and his father Caleb finally finding common ground:

"Look, Pop, I was just jokin' with the guys, I didn't mean nothin' by it."
"Right away you assume I'm gonna come down on you -"
"Ain't that the way it's always been, huh?"
"Perhaps so. I disagreed with what you said at the meeting..."
"So what's new?"
"...but you said it well. I was damn proud of you, son."

Abraham's speech to his son Daniel moved me to tears, and still does:

"Don't you see, they have to stay...or else we haven't learned a thing!"

Any reboot will be hard-pressed to rival such quality. I wish 'em luck.

Chris
20-05-2009, 14:03
The re-boot looks promising, if the clips are anything to go by. There was something genuinely chilling about the sequence with the journalist. Now I want to know whether he's going to sell out or not!

Good scifi can be a great vehicle for exploring difficult human issues by taking them out of their familiar settings. The original V worked well like that, as an examination firstly of the Holocaust and later of the nature of armed (but hopelessly outgunned) guerilla resistance. But that's not to say the re-make needs to do the same thing. Just as the re-booted BSG used the same basic storyline to examine a completely different range of issues, the re-booted V can happily do likewise. Actually I hope it does - there are some obvious targets out there (raping of Earth's resources would be a natural fit).

---------- Post added at 14:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:02 ----------

Incidentally, did anyone else have trouble making that link work in Firefox? I got the homepage OK but I couldn't make the V page open. Had to go to Safari eventually.

sir_drinks_alot
21-05-2009, 15:20
just seen the trailer anyone eles spot the nod to original v ;)

Toto
21-05-2009, 15:58
The re-boot looks promising, if the clips are anything to go by. There was something genuinely chilling about the sequence with the journalist. Now I want to know whether he's going to sell out or not!

Good scifi can be a great vehicle for exploring difficult human issues by taking them out of their familiar settings. The original V worked well like that, as an examination firstly of the Holocaust and later of the nature of armed (but hopelessly outgunned) guerilla resistance. But that's not to say the re-make needs to do the same thing. Just as the re-booted BSG used the same basic storyline to examine a completely different range of issues, the re-booted V can happily do likewise. Actually I hope it does - there are some obvious targets out there (raping of Earth's resources would be a natural fit).

---------- Post added at 14:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:02 ----------

Incidentally, did anyone else have trouble making that link work in Firefox? I got the homepage OK but I couldn't make the V page open. Had to go to Safari eventually.

If you have no script running in FF, just right click on the empty box and click on allow or temp allow, it works then.

sir_drinks_alot
21-05-2009, 18:41
Looks good,

But what they need to do is give it a finite life.

Many series that start out open ended lose their way and subsequently their audience Lost, Prison Break, BSG all examples to that. Only when Lost and BSG were given an end date did they again gather momentum.

If , for example, you know that this series is only going to be 20 epeisodes long then you know you're heading to a conclusion.

Open ended series finales are proven not to be satisfactory.

I also think that when a series is cancelled the studio should always try and tie it up with mini-season.

Jericho was a good example of that.

That's what Steve McPherson, head of ABC Entertainment said

Steve McPherson, head of ABC Entertainment had the following to say:
“At this point, we believe the show will be four parts, with each consisting of anywhere from 13 to 22 episodes. We want to craft a whole series. It will have a beginning, middle and end.”
He further explained he considered V to be an event drama at midseason and says the plan is to have it run for four seasons

picked up some promo pics today

sir_drinks_alot
28-05-2009, 09:31
one thing that i do like about this reboot is the Style of the show did worry that thay'd go for the over the top look of the first v but hats of to tham thay have not

suited and booted

the look is very light and modern visitor uniforms stand out importantly tho not like a sore thumb just enough to make you think there not from around here but at the same time sends out a feeling of trust to anyone thay come across

it's in the sky

again as with the suites the ship both motherships and landing shuttles are done in away that makes tham stand out but not to much just enough to give you a feeling of awe as for the inside that's more the sort of thing i'd say that the inside of a alien ship would look like more than in the classic
or even some other shows we get now adays.

thay are the same but different

the visitor themselves come in 2 groups the first are the command group
that seem to have been given a cold menacing look sort of like you know
thay are hideing something but your not sure what at the same time with a
simple look thay can put you at ease and bring you over to there side

the second are the youth movement the young visitor thay seem to have been given a much more friendly look this is so that can slowly bring in
the young people of earth and get Control of tham while their minds are still in development.

end of part 1 will post more ones i have had a think

Chris
28-05-2009, 09:52
Anyone know when this is going to air?

Lord Nikon
01-06-2009, 11:43
just seen the trailer anyone eles spot the nod to original v ;)

Marc Singer aka Mike Donovan from the original series?

Paul
01-06-2009, 13:24
Anyone know when this is going to air?
There is no official date I know of, but indications are early 2010.

sir_drinks_alot
12-07-2009, 21:19
A special screening of the pilot episode of the upcoming re-imagining will take place at Comic Con 2 weeks today will be very interesting tosee fan reaction even this early it's going to be important

Tezcatlipoca
11-08-2009, 20:20
The "V" reboot has been brought forward to November this year :)

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/tunedin/archive/2009/08/08/press-tour-journal-v-arrives.aspx

The producers also say they've considered having actors from the original "V" appear in the new one (as different characters of course).

Pierre
12-08-2009, 17:04
The "V" reboot has been brought forward to November this year :)

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/tunedin/archive/2009/08/08/press-tour-journal-v-arrives.aspx

The producers also say they've considered having actors from the original "V" appear in the new one (as different characters of course).

Yay, Bring back, Michael Ironside............

lawe
12-08-2009, 17:40
Looking forward to this.
I remember V first time round on Thames and all the publicity that went with it.

sir_drinks_alot
02-09-2009, 23:14
A anyone know what Uk network has picked up the rights to show this ?

cimt
26-09-2009, 15:19
This is going on hiatus after just 4 episodes in.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a179211/v-to-go-on-hiatus-after-four-episodes.html

Tezcatlipoca
26-09-2009, 20:34
Lame.

If it has to be delayed, I think they should delay the whole thing. Showing four episodes & then going on a massive break seems rather stupid to me.

sir_drinks_alot
30-09-2009, 14:34
Sci Fi picked up the rights

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/a179673/sci-fi-nabs-v-human-target-more.html

Chris
30-09-2009, 15:57
Sci Fi UK presumably? We're not talking about Sci Fi US rescuing V?

cimt
30-09-2009, 16:05
Sci Fi UK presumably? We're not talking about Sci Fi US rescuing V?

Judging by the last sentence in that link that was posted, it'd assume it was Sci Fi UK.

Over the past year, Sci Fi has acquired rights to Warehouse 13, Knight Rider, and the first and second seasons of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse.

Tezcatlipoca
30-09-2009, 18:06
Sci Fi UK. If it was the American one, it would be "Syfy" (:rolleyes:).

The US broadcaster for the new "V" is ABC.

Hom3r
30-09-2009, 18:19
Isn't Sci-Fi uk the UK being renamed to Syfy?

Ravenheart
25-10-2009, 09:42
Sorry for bumping this one back up, there's the first 8 mins of the new V as part of ABC's first look.

You can find it here

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/10/the-first-eight-minutes-of-abcs-v.html

LSainsbury
25-10-2009, 09:55
Sorry for bumping this one back up, there's the first 8 mins of the new V as part of ABC's first look.

You can find it here

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/10/the-first-eight-minutes-of-abcs-v.html

Ohhhhhhhh - looks ok....no doubt it won't be a oatch on the original though.

Any idea when it's coming to the UK?

Ravenheart
25-10-2009, 09:59
from what I've read, it wont show here till 2010, but as they're showing the first 4 episodes in the states then leaving it until next year, I suppose it's the better option, as we don't like to split shows in the same way.

zing_deleted
25-10-2009, 10:50
well there is less than 10 weeks of the year left

Bones and Fringe is on one of its breaks in the US too I do hate that myself

The only good thing is we will catch up here and I can watch it in HD without having to download it lol

cimt
04-11-2009, 14:11
The showrunner has stepped down, he'll be replaced by Scott Rosenbaum who is an exec producer for Chuck.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s82/vtheseries/news/a185135/v-showrunner-scott-peters-steps-down.html

This show is forever being hit with problems.

Chris
04-11-2009, 14:31
Word is that part 1 is a bit ropey, especially with substandard editing. Has anyone here seen it?

dilli-theclaw
04-11-2009, 14:39
Word is that part 1 is a bit ropey, especially with substandard editing. Has anyone here seen it?I'd completely forgot about it - but it looks like I will be watching it tonight, I'll report back tomorrow and say what I think.

Stephen
04-11-2009, 17:07
Just finished watching it and it was ok. Will wait for the next ep before passing judgement though.

cimt
04-11-2009, 17:27
"Is there such thing as an ugly Visitor?"

I don't think there is... Wow. I can see some of the bad editing. It also looks really cheap in places.

Chris
04-11-2009, 17:32
What a pity. When the original is a classic you have a responsibility to work pretty darned hard if you presume to re-make it. If what you produce is anything less than superb you're always going to compare unfavourably.

BSG pulled it off magnificently IMO. I hope the people that have re-made V didn't assume the success of BSG meant they could simply re-hash an original idea and have an instant success on their hands.

Tezcatlipoca
04-11-2009, 20:19
I quite liked the pilot. I also liked some of the changes to the original premise, such as

In this version, the Lizards have been on Earth for years, secretly preparing the way for the arrival of the Fleet

As for quality of the pilot (not meaning actual plot, production, etc.)...

Although obviously I myself have just got back from watching it in the US :erm: :angel:, I have heard that there are two different "scene releases" available on the "internet". One is a very bad "rip" which is "not linear with the broadcast", while the other is a much better quality version labelled as "proper".

Tezcatlipoca
04-11-2009, 22:30
I've just bought the "Complete Collection" of the original "V" from Amazon for £17.98 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/V-The-Complete-Collection-DVD/dp/B001G8NV1K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1257373343&sr=1-1) :)

Original Mini-series + The Final Battle mini-series + the TV series

zing_deleted
04-11-2009, 22:47
They certainly did not take their time kicking it off with the V showing theor true colours to some . Thought it was very good :)

Anyone who knows the scene will read reports on indexing sites and look for propers if there is need ;) I believe only the the xvid is bad the 720 is ok I think(apparently there are 3 little glitches but it is in sequence) ;)

cimt
04-11-2009, 22:52
Wow, it premiered with 14m viewers. Not bad for a first episode in the US...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s82/vtheseries/news/a185254/v-arrives-with-14-million-viewers.html

Kymmy
05-11-2009, 16:41
Just watched it and I really do like the way they've brought in changes from the original. Will definately be looking for this as it gets shown

Ignitionnet
05-11-2009, 18:03
I've just bought the "Complete Collection" of the original "V" from Amazon for £17.98 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/V-The-Complete-Collection-DVD/dp/B001G8NV1K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1257373343&sr=1-1) :)

Wow great deal, duly purchased :)

Chris
05-11-2009, 18:20

What's the quality like? I watched repeats on Sci Fi a couple of years ago and the print they were working from was very, very ropey.

maddyp
05-11-2009, 18:33
from what I've read, it wont show here till 2010, but as they're showing the first 4 episodes in the states then leaving it until next year, I suppose it's the better option, as we don't like to split shows in the same way.

according to Sci Fi it is showing here early in the new year and they already have previews on their site -some unseen footage..

http://www.scifi.co.uk/videos/1172131

zing_deleted
05-11-2009, 18:36
thats not unseen footage if you watched the pilot this week lol

Hom3r
05-11-2009, 18:53

Play.com do it for the same price and FREE delivery

zing_deleted
05-11-2009, 18:56
you do realise you have spent £18 on total cheese don't you lol

moroboshi
05-11-2009, 22:42
Well I watched the pilot tonight and thought it was total rubbish. The plot moved far, far too quickly, making it feel horribly rushed and poorly written. There was no build up, no suspense, and events which happened in the original several episodes in happened within the first 20 minutes... It was a mess.

Add to that the relentless pro christianity propaganda and this isn't something I'll be watching again. The current crop of American TV, excluding the superb Mad Men Season 3, has been disappointing, but this new V remake has been by far the worst so far.

dust
06-11-2009, 15:23
Well I watched the pilot tonight and thought it was total rubbish. The plot moved far, far too quickly, making it feel horribly rushed and poorly written. There was no build up, no suspense, and events which happened in the original several episodes in happened within the first 20 minutes... It was a mess.

Well I thought it was excellent and felt the pace was perfectly fine (and I reckon the original mini-series is one of the finest things ever filmed, slow-paced though it is these days).

Stuart
06-11-2009, 15:41
Well I thought it was excellent and felt the pace was perfectly fine (and I reckon the original mini-series is one of the finest things ever filmed, slow-paced though it is these days).

I think the original was so good because the creator was actually writing a story about facism, and specifically about the Nazi treatment of the Jewish peoples (replace the jews with the humans and the nazis with the visitors). As such, the original story, although science fiction, felt like it could be real.

The new one doesn't have that, but it has introduced several new concepts, and while the first episode was a bit patchy, it did introduce several potentially intresting plotlines.

I found it interesting that in one section of the program, the mentioned that the visitors had been engineering wars, terrorist incidents and various distasters. It then mentioned that they were planning Universal Healthcare and it seemed as though the script writer was putting this on the same platform as the terrorist. Never thought of the NHS as a terrorist organisation..

dust
06-11-2009, 16:53
Yep, I was amazed at how different the new version is, which is why I like it so much. In fact, the only similarity between the two is that there are spaceships all over the major cities and they're reptiles under their human skin. Thassaboutit!! Oh, I also like the fact the new version has much thicker, more realistic "fake" skin... :)

Tezcatlipoca
06-11-2009, 19:21
What's the quality like? I watched repeats on Sci Fi a couple of years ago and the print they were working from was very, very ropey.

Don't know yet - it was dispatched today.

The last time I watched the entire lot though was probably about 10 years ago when I had the VHS box set, so I'd hope the quality is at least better than that.

Play.com do it for the same price and FREE delivery

LOL, I forgot to even check Play.com.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/6029737/V-The-Complete-Collection-Boxset/Product.html

Still, I had a code for Amazon which wiped out the postage cost. Plus, if I had ordered it from Play.com I would have had to wait longer due to it being shipped from Jersey.

you do realise you have spent £18 on total cheese don't you lol

It's *classic* cheese ;) :D

Besides, you should see my DVD collection!

Add to that the relentless pro christianity propaganda and this isn't something I'll be watching again. The current crop of American TV, excluding the superb Mad Men Season 3, has been disappointing, but this new V remake has been by far the worst so far.

I agree that the pace was rushed. I think it would have been better spread over a feature length pilot.

I did still enjoy it though.

Relentless pro-Christianity propaganda? :confused:

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

I think the original was so good because the creator was actually writing a story about facism, and specifically about the Nazi treatment of the Jewish peoples (replace the jews with the humans and the nazis with the visitors). As such, the original story, although science fiction, felt like it could be real.

The new one doesn't have that, but it has introduced several new concepts, and while the first episode was a bit patchy, it did introduce several potentially intresting plotlines.

I found it interesting that in one section of the program, the mentioned that the visitors had been engineering wars, terrorist incidents and various distasters. It then mentioned that they were planning Universal Healthcare and it seemed as though the script writer was putting this on the same platform as the terrorist. Never thought of the NHS as a terrorist organisation..

Yup. I think the original was actually originally meant to be about human fascists coming to power in the US (inspired by an old novel IIRC), but was changed to "alien lizards" after the network rejected the original pitch.

Re. your spoiler, I have read that some US critics have claimed that the pilot as a whole is a "commentary on Obamamania".

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Yup. I think the original was actually originally meant to be about human fascists coming to power in the US (inspired by an old novel IIRC), but was changed to "alien lizards" after the network rejected the original pitch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_%281983_miniseries%29#Influences

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Can%27t_Happen_Here

moroboshi
07-11-2009, 01:12
Relentless pro-Christianity propaganda? :confused:[COLOR="Silver"]

Did you fall asleep during the show? Did you miss the ridiculous repeat visits to the church, bursting with worshippers all devoted to the great magic fantasy fairy in the sky? (and I don't mean the aliens) Or the dull as ditch water christian preaching scenes which served no purpose to the plot and were just an excuse to play to the ultra right conservatives in the US... Seriously, what purpose did those scenes serve? I could see none, all they did was make me want to stop watching.

I don't want to personally see *any* religion on TV, particularly not in a sci-fi series which above all things should be free from the lingering delusions of primative people long since dead.

zing_deleted
07-11-2009, 08:59
Did you fall asleep during the show? Did you miss the ridiculous repeat visits to the church, bursting with worshippers all devoted to the great magic fantasy fairy in the sky? (and I don't mean the aliens) Or the dull as ditch water christian preaching scenes which served no purpose to the plot and were just an excuse to play to the ultra right conservatives in the US... Seriously, what purpose did those scenes serve? I could see none, all they did was make me want to stop watching.

I don't want to personally see *any* religion on TV, particularly not in a sci-fi series which above all things should be free from the lingering delusions of primative people long since dead.

sell your TV then or you will keep getting confronted with religion in shows.

Religion of different types is part of this countries culture deal with it!

moroboshi
07-11-2009, 09:24
sell your TV then or you will keep getting confronted with religion in shows.

Religion of different types is part of this countries culture deal with it!

Fortunately it's on it's way out in this country, and it's rare, very rare even, to see it in mainstream UK TV.

Even in US TV it's rare to see it as blatantly promoted as was the case in V.

zing_deleted
07-11-2009, 09:29
all it was doing was introducing a character who actually was going against his faith and questioned Gods existence because of the Aliens. Hardly promotion? I am guessing you are an atheist bigot the opposite of a religious bigot

moroboshi
07-11-2009, 09:34
all it was doing was introducing a character who actually was going against his faith and questioned Gods existence because of the Aliens. Hardly promotion? I am guessing you are an atheist bigot the opposite of a religious bigot

Come off it, the message was loud and clear. When in times of crisis, come to church! Great stuff, so logical.

And thanks for the insult, that was really nice of you. Athiests just prefer not to have religion shoved into their faces, and given how deeply unpleasant it is I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

Tezcatlipoca
07-11-2009, 13:25
Guys, can we please not sling insults or turn this into an argument about religion.

As for the actual episode in question:

No, I didn't fall asleep, & yes, I did see people going to church in the episode in greater numbers due to the uncertainty of the situation with the Visitors.

I didn't see it as being "relentlessly pro-Christianity propaganda" though.

As zing said, they were introducing a main character who was going against his faith & questioning things because of the arrival of the Visitors. He was also questioning the wisdom of the Vatican in their blind acceptance of the Visitors, & he was warning against people turning to blind worship or devotion of the Visitors.

I didn't see it as "pro-Christian", & I'm an atheist myself, so also don't want to have religion shoved in my face on TV.

In the US, some people are seeing it as being a criticism of "Obamamania".

Stuart
07-11-2009, 15:11
Come off it, the message was loud and clear. When in times of crisis, come to church! Great stuff, so logical.

Guess what. In times of crisis or other momentous events, some people DO turn to their God for guidance. For the show to pretend otherwise would actually be unrealistic.

Athiests just prefer not to have religion shoved into their faces, and given how deeply unpleasant it is I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

I'm an atheist, and I didn't find it too bad.

Chris
11-11-2009, 21:50

I think you're just reading your own prejudices onto the story. If you weren't, you might not have missed the great big crucifix that fell to the ground and shattered right at the start of the episode, or the significance of one of the church's very few long-term, committed members rising from his wheelchair, whilst in the church building, and giving the credit to the alien visitors rather than God.

The writers are observing that, in times of crisis, people do turn to God. That's plain fact; the churches of New York were packed after 9/11. However they are also posing big questions about faith and whether the existence of alien life would prove that there is no God after all (hence the falling crucifix). We are invited, in the first episode's closing scenes, to ponder these issues with the two central characters whose faith has just been shattered: the priest riven with doubt and the FBI officer who just discovered her trusted friend and partner is a lizard. Who deserves our devotion?

This episode is anything but a rallying cry for God, church or any other religion.

zing_deleted
14-11-2009, 13:06
Episode 2 was quite good I think. Not a great deal happens I spose but its building the characters

moroboshi
14-11-2009, 13:09
I think you're just reading your own prejudices onto the story. If you weren't, you might not have missed the great big crucifix that fell to the ground and shattered right at the start of the episode, or the significance of one of the church's very few long-term, committed members rising from his wheelchair, whilst in the church building, and giving the credit to the alien visitors rather than God.

The writers are observing that, in times of crisis, people do turn to God. That's plain fact; the churches of New York were packed after 9/11. However they are also posing big questions about faith and whether the existence of alien life would prove that there is no God after all (hence the falling crucifix). We are invited, in the first episode's closing scenes, to ponder these issues with the two central characters whose faith has just been shattered: the priest riven with doubt and the FBI officer who just discovered her trusted friend and partner is a lizard. Who deserves our devotion?

This episode is anything but a rallying cry for God, church or any other religion.

'Prejudice' is unfair, as to dislike religion is entirely rational and sensible. I equate it to disliking racism, sexism, and homophobia. A fear and dislike of an unpleasant, unfair, and primate set of beliefs is entirely reasonable, and is far from being a prejudice. Quite the opposite in fact.

I dislike seeing religion on TV when it is shown in a positive context, and that is exactly how I saw it in V. The falling cross was pretty irrelevant as it did no harm, and the show then went on to show the church packed with new devotees. Why show this? Why not show the rational of society instead questioning the science of the aliens? Why focus on the stupid? (sorry for the crude term, but a lack of intelligence and belief in 'god' are directly linked (look it up, it's a proven fact))

I believe it was there to appease the far right in the US, who have become increasingly demanding over the past decade or so and want to see their own particular brand of delusion forced into everything, whether it serves for plot or not.

If you saw it another way, that's fine, but for me it was one of many negative points for the V reboot, and why I haven't bothered getting episode 2.

zing_deleted
14-11-2009, 13:30

I personally think the other priest or whatever rank he carries is a V anyway think that is why he is so positive towards them

Chris
14-11-2009, 18:32
'Prejudice' is unfair, as to dislike religion is entirely rational and sensible. I equate it to disliking racism, sexism, and homophobia. A fear and dislike of an unpleasant, unfair, and primate set of beliefs is entirely reasonable, and is far from being a prejudice. Quite the opposite in fact.

Then you misunderstand the meaning of 'prejudice'. In your assessment of the first episode of 'V' you have allowed your views on religion to colour your opinion of the entire episode. You have allowed your views on religion to misconstrue the storyteller's intent as being entirely the opposite of what it was.

I dislike seeing religion on TV when it is shown in a positive context, and that is exactly how I saw it in V.

Because you're prejudiced. Religion is getting quite a neutral treatment in the programme, I think. It seems to me that you're inclined to see any appearance of religion - except perhaps as the subject of a Richard Dawkins lecture - as being in a 'positive context'. It's a pity because despite its faults it was quite a good episode, and episode 2 has already bedded in some interesting themes quite nicely. You're missing out.

The falling cross was pretty irrelevant as it did no harm,

You misunderstand the artform of movie directing, in that case. The falling cross in episode 1 is a symbol for the foundations of religion being challenged by the arrival of aliens, who are totally outside of the natural reading of any of the world's major religious texts.

and the show then went on to show the church packed with new devotees. Why show this? Why not show the rational of society instead questioning the science of the aliens?

Because the portrayal of a packed church in times of crisis has a direct and recent analogy in the real world. I mentioned 9/11 in my earlier post. It happened.

You ask why not show 'the rational' of society: you already have your answer, again in 9/11. When big and unsettling things happen, the human race shows itself to be instinctively religious. I'm sorry if that upsets your rational world-view, but I didn't invent human nature. It is what it is. ;)

Why focus on the stupid? (sorry for the crude term, but a lack of intelligence and belief in 'god' are directly linked (look it up, it's a proven fact))

Do you really, in all seriousness, believe that? Well, apparently you do. I'm not going to look it up, by the way. Instead I'm going to ask you for a link to back up what I perceive to be simply more prejudice, and I'm going to be a little puzzled at someone apparently so devoted to rationalism and yet so quick to deploy unwise language such as 'proven fact'.

Would you like me to supply you with a list of some of the world's well known, highly intelligent religious people? People like Nicholas Copernicus, for example, who proposed the heliocentric view of our solar system and yet was also ordained in the Catholic Church? Sir Francis Bacon, who proposed and established the scientific method yet believed "It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion"? I could go on, at great length, but let's not get off topic. We're meant to be discussing the merits of a sci-fi TV show. :D

I believe it was there to appease the far right in the US, who have become increasingly demanding over the past decade or so and want to see their own particular brand of delusion forced into everything, whether it serves for plot or not.

You misunderstand American culture, which is far more religious, and more openly so, than British. It's not simply a preoccupation of the far right, it is quite mainstream. All the show makers have done is portray mainstream New Yorkers doing what mainstream New Yorkers do.

If you saw it another way, that's fine, but for me it was one of many negative points for the V reboot, and why I haven't bothered getting episode 2.

That's a real pity. As I said, it has bedded in very quickly and episode 2 has taken on themes of paranoia and uncertainty with a level of skill and subtlety the original series never got close to. It is shaping up nicely and I'd urge you to reconsider watching part 2, if you're a sci-fi fan. Even though one of the main characters is a Catholic priest. :D

Stuart
14-11-2009, 18:43

No, it's not the opposite. You are judging people according to your own ideas of their beliefs. It's the very definition of Prejudice.. Look it up.

The second episode of V is a little slow, but is progressing the story nicely. And, it doesn't feature religion too much.

moroboshi
14-11-2009, 20:06
Do you really, in all seriousness, believe that? Well, apparently you do. I'm not going to look it up, by the way. Instead I'm going to ask you for a link to back up what I perceive to be simply more prejudice, and I'm going to be a little puzzled at someone apparently so devoted to rationalism and yet so quick to deploy unwise language such as 'proven fact'.

Would you like me to supply you with a list of some of the world's well known, highly intelligent religious people? People like Nicholas Copernicus, for example, who proposed the heliocentric view of our solar system and yet was also ordained in the Catholic Church? Sir Francis Bacon, who proposed and established the scientific method yet believed "It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion"? I could go on, at great length, but let's not get off topic. We're meant to be discussing the merits of a sci-fi TV show. :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2111174/Intelligent-people-less-likely-to-believe-in-God.html

Also, this is an excellent debate (split into 5 parts on YouTube) with Stephen Fry, Christopher Hitchens and others on whether the catholic church is a good thing. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNODiU_-CNo&feature=player_embedded

And do you really want to go down the pahh of naming famous athiests/religious people? - http://www.celebatheists.com/wiki/Main_Page I think with the likes of Richard Dawkins, Douglas Adams, Stephen Fry, Richard Branson, David Attenbrough, John Carmack, Bob Geldof, James Randi, Steve Wozniac, and Woody Allen I'm in good company.

To bring this back on topic, I'm not going to watch any more V. Even if the religious nonsense wasn't there it would still have been poorly paced, generic sci-fi which didn't engage me.

Chris
14-11-2009, 20:10
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2111174/Intelligent-people-less-likely-to-believe-in-God.html

Also, this is an excellent debate (split into 5 parts on YouTube) with Stephen Fry, Christopher Hitchens and others on whether the catholic church is a good thing. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNODiU_-CNo&feature=player_embedded

And do you really want to go down the pahh of naming famous athiests/religious people? - http://www.celebatheists.com/wiki/Main_Page

Not at all. I'm not here to defend the Catholic church. I'm not here to suggest that only religious people can be intelligent. I am here, however, to show that your claim that "lack of intelligence and belief in 'god' are directly linked" is patent nonsense.

No list of famous atheists will substantiate your claim, however only a very short list of intelligent religious people is enough to prove it wrong. And there I both rest my case and insist we both now drop it and return to discussing TV.

If you want to explore the issue of intelligence and religious belief any further, by all means start a new thread about it.

moroboshi
14-11-2009, 20:12
Not at all. I'm not here to defend the Catholic church. I'm not here to suggest that only religious people can be intelligent. I am here, however, to show that your claim that "lack of intelligence and belief in 'god' are directly linked" is patent nonsense..

Did you even bother to look at the Telegraph link? Clearly not, as it's all about the link between athiesm and intelligence.

Chris
14-11-2009, 20:15
Did you even bother to look at the Telegraph link? Clearly not, as it's all about the link between athiesm and intelligence.

Of course I didn't - your link is entirely besides the point. I'm not trying to claim atheists aren't intelligent so there's no need for you to go trying to prove that they are.

Now, final time, and this time in bold: please drop it in this thread. If you want to discuss this issue, start a new one.

sir_drinks_alot
15-11-2009, 10:27
Will this show becomeing to the uk any time soon ?

Stuart
15-11-2009, 11:59
I believe Sci Fi UK are planning to show it in January.

Tezcatlipoca
19-11-2009, 00:31
A good third episode, IMO.

We're starting to see the Resistance slowly getting together, plus getting mentions of the Fifth Column. Nice way of dealing with Tudyk's character too.

I just hope the plan for Erica's irritating son & the sexy young Visitor isn't going to end up with another "Star Child".

Kymmy
02-12-2009, 14:42
For reference the 4th Show is the last till March 2010.. The reason cited for this is the winter Olympics... BUT.. It's more than likely due to the reshuffle they had earlier this year when they had a major high level staff change with executive producer Scott Peters replaced by Scott Rosenbaum, a former executive producer of NBC's Chuck.

Tezcatlipoca
07-12-2009, 22:38
I had a bit of a "V" marathon on Sunday, & watched the entire original mini-series & "The Final Battle".

Great stuff. 80s cheese & bad FX mixed with serious Nazi allegory.

I'd forgotten how hot Jane Badler was.

Kymmy
07-12-2009, 22:43
But have you watched the original follow on series??? That was after the red-dust was used???

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086822/

Tezcatlipoca
07-12-2009, 22:46
That's up next (can't fit that in one day too!). I have the "Complete Collection" DVD box set. Seen the whole thing before, but not for years.

Chris
08-12-2009, 09:04
But have you watched the original follow on series??? That was after the red-dust was used???

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086822/

Oh yeah ... we all used to watch this and then discuss it to bits at school the next morning. I fancied Elizabeth Maxwell something rotten. :D

Tezcatlipoca
08-12-2009, 21:01
Now I've watched it...

I haven't started on the TV series yet, but the PQ of both mini series was actually pretty good (although the special effects showed their age). Widescreen too, which was nice (the TV series is 4:3 though).

Ravenheart
30-03-2010, 22:05
Just a quick heads up..

Episode 5 of season one airs in the US tonight. :)

It's been far too long since episode 4

Tezcatlipoca
01-04-2010, 15:42
Not too bad.

I still think it would have been better if they'd not shown *any* episodes until now though, instead of showing 4 & then having a massive break. Going on hiatus for such an abnormally long time never helps the ratings.

zing_deleted
01-04-2010, 15:45
I agree totally.

Liked the end scene nice teeth lol lol

Tezcatlipoca
01-04-2010, 15:49
"Now my eggs need nourishment" :eek:

Stuart
01-04-2010, 16:26
Now I've watched it...

I haven't started on the TV series yet, but the PQ of both mini series was actually pretty good (although the special effects showed their age). Widescreen too, which was nice (the TV series is 4:3 though).

They did a good job with the original V dvds. Regarding the original SFX, they were excellent, considering they were done without computer graphics and on a TV budget...

Although having said that, I saw a few scenes where they appeared to run out of money..

Tezcatlipoca
01-04-2010, 21:03
They did a good job with the original V dvds. Regarding the original SFX, they were excellent, considering they were done without computer graphics and on a TV budget...

Although having said that, I saw a few scenes where they appeared to run out of money..

The lack of budget is quite apparent on the original TV series - quite a lot of footage from the mini series was re-used, not just stock footage of skyfighter chases but even a couple of actual scenes.

Tezcatlipoca
22-04-2010, 01:00
Not bad this week.

I was expecting there to be a twist, with the wimpy Fifth Column guy actually being a Visitor, & the sniper being the real Fifth Column guy.

I still want to know more of the Visitors' reasons for being here... in the original, it didn't take long before we found out they wanted to EAT US AND STEAL OUR WATER

Anyone else spot the representative from "Weyland-Yutani Corp." at the "World Progress Forum"? ;)

Flyboy
22-04-2010, 01:09
Wouldn't that have better in spoiler tags. ;)

Tezcatlipoca
22-04-2010, 01:15
Ah, fair enough. I suppose there may be some people watching this who have no knowledge of the original...

MovedGoalPosts
22-04-2010, 01:15
Wouldn't that have better in spoiler tags. ;)

Nope because this thread discusses the shows already transmitted in the US - as per the tag. That tag warns you not to read if you aren't into that timescale. There is a separate thread for the lagging behind UK transmissions on SiFi (or whatever they are misspelling it as these days).

Tezcatlipoca
22-04-2010, 01:17
I assumed Flyboy meant the bit about their ultimate plan, which could be a spoiler if this follows the same basic premise... although you're right that there's no need to use tags for anything regarding episodes aired in the US.

zing_deleted
22-04-2010, 09:54
I assumed Flyboy meant the bit about their ultimate plan, which could be a spoiler if this follows the same basic premise... although you're right that there's no need to use tags for anything regarding episodes aired in the US.

we can only assume the plan is similar. As you say though it could go anywhere I kinda hope it does not follow the original. Spose we will see what happens to the live aboard group

Anna's daughter ( her name eludes me) is deffo gonna end up 3rd column and will most likely save the Earth or at least main members of the resistance when they are inevitably captured around the last episode of season 1 lol lol

Stuart
22-04-2010, 10:10
Not bad this week.

I was expecting there to be a twist, with the wimpy Fifth Column guy actually being a Visitor, & the sniper being the real Fifth Column guy.

I still want to know more of the Visitors' reasons for being here... in the original, it didn't take long before we found out they wanted to EAT US AND STEAL OUR WATER

Anyone else spot the representative from "Weyland-Yutani Corp." at the "World Progress Forum"? ;)

I think there are a few references to other series or films. For instance, the series references Independance Day in Ep 1, and indirectly mentions the original V immediately afterward.

Flyboy
22-04-2010, 13:27
Nope because this thread discusses the shows already transmitted in the US - as per the tag. That tag warns you not to read if you aren't into that timescale. There is a separate thread for the lagging behind UK transmissions on SiFi (or whatever they are misspelling it as these days).

Sorry, you are right, I misread the title. Ooops!

Tezcatlipoca
20-05-2010, 23:29
Let "V" no longer stand for "Visitor". Let it now stand for "VICTORY!"

Great finale. Can't wait for it to return.