PDA

View Full Version : Installing V+ alongside a Freeview PVR: Can anyone please help?

stevgillamos
27-01-2009, 12:47
I'm due to get a V+ installed at the weekend and would like to run it alongside my current Humax 9200 Freeview PVR. I also have a DVD recorder and am wondering how I might connect everything to enable me to switch between the Freeview box and V+ box in particular. I have a Sony HD ready TV and intend to connect the V+ via HDMI whereas the Humax only has scart (RGB). The DVD recorder, however, does have HDMI which I use to play (upscale) through the TV. As I've had BB and phone line for a couple of years I thought I'd try out the V+ at extra £5 pm. I was tempted to go for Freesat with new Humax High Def PVR but decided against due to cost and the fact my wife doesn't like satellite dishes. Hope I;ve done right here but time will tell. I know there's not much HD content on Virgin yet but I live in hope.

Chris
27-01-2009, 12:54
Thread moved to installation issues

:welcome: to the forum.

You can use an HDMI switch to run your V+ and your DVD recorder into the single HDMI port on the back of the TV. Leave the Humax box connected via scart, although you'll have to switch between HDMI and SCART on your TV remote if you want to switch between the two.

HDMI switches come with varying capabilities and cost, this one seems quite good:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224917&&source=14&doy=27m1

stevgillamos
27-01-2009, 14:25
Thread moved to installation issues

:welcome: to the forum.

You can use an HDMI switch to run your V+ and your DVD recorder into the single HDMI port on the back of the TV. Leave the Humax box connected via scart, although you'll have to switch between HDMI and SCART on your TV remote if you want to switch between the two.

HDMI switches come with varying capabilities and cost, this one seems quite good:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224917&&source=14&doy=27m1

Thanks for that, it is much appreciated. Sorry, but I overlooked mentioning that my TV does have two HDMI sockets. Will this mean that I won't need to buy a HDMI switch?

Chris
27-01-2009, 14:36
You won't need a switch if you have enough HDMI inputs on the TV for all your HDMI-enabled devices. You can connect the V+ to HDMI-1, the DVD recorder to HDMI-2, and your Humax Freeview+ box to SCART-1.

How you switch between these will depend on your TV. If it's reasonably clever it should auto-switch between all of them. However if it does I believe the switch between HDMI and SCART may involve a delay of a couple of seconds.

stevgillamos
02-02-2009, 11:33
Thanks for your help so far. I've now got the V+ installed and so far so good. However, the engineer was running late so I didn't get to finalise all my connections. However, he did connect the V+ via the scart and the HDMI cable. Is this right? Do I need to have the V+ connected twice like this? Currently I've got my humax connected via scart 1 (RGB) and the V+ scart connected to scart 2. The HDMI is also connected via the V+ box. My DVD player is connected via scarts to the V+ as well as via the HDMI. So I've got connections all over the place but I'm not sure whether I need to have this set up. I want to be able to record to DVD from the V+ on the very rare occasion. Will the DVD recorder record from the HDMI socket or does it need to be connected via scart? I know the DVD won't record in High Def so does it need to be connected via scart for this? Also, is it possible to set everything up whereby I can record from both Humax and V+ by switching back to source? I'm very please with the picture though at present so if it means having these connections all connected independently for the best possible picture then I'll leave it as it is.

joglynne
02-02-2009, 12:51
I'm not sure of the answers to all of your questions but here's the answer to a couple of them.

You do not need the scart connection between your TV and the V+ now that your HDMI connection is active.

If you connect your DVD recorder to the lower of the two scart sockets on the rear of the V+ you will be able to use the archiving function of the V+.