PDA

View Full Version : Newsgroups asking for a username

Turkey Machine
26-01-2009, 17:23
This never previously happened when I *thought* I was having trouble with my broadband connection. I use Thunderbird, and set it up for virgin.support.broadband.cable. I haven't used it in a while, and since then, when I click to see what's what, it asks me for a user-name and password. I don't have one. What gives? This (repeat) didn't happen 1 or 2 months ago when I last used the newsgroups, so what changed, if anything? All the settings are correct according to the Virgin Media page.

broadbandking
26-01-2009, 17:25
If its your blueyonder account then TSC can give you the detial or reset them for you come to think of it Customer Services can do it aswell

Kymmy
26-01-2009, 17:27
Which news server are you using??

moaningmags
26-01-2009, 17:27
It shouldn't be asking for username and password for the newsgroups.
Perhaps try removing and re-adding it?

Turkey Machine
26-01-2009, 17:41
Which news server are you using??

news.virginmedia.com

It shouldn't be asking for username and password for the newsgroups.
Perhaps try removing and re-adding it?

Didn't work. Upon trying to subscribe to a newsgroup, it says "Please enter a username for news server access:"

Upon entering a "user name", it asks for a password.

It then says "A news (NNTP) error occured: Authentication failed."

I'm running out of ideas here. :D

moaningmags
26-01-2009, 17:44
Authentication to the newsgroups is done via ip addy as far as I'm aware. You have a VM IP address?

Go to the Thunderbird Account Options and make sure
This server requires me to log on is unticked.

If you can't see that look for something similar.

Kymmy
26-01-2009, 17:44
which connection are you on??? news.virginmedia.com will only allow you to connect if you're on a VM connection...if not it will ask for a username/password but still won't let you connect..

zing_deleted
26-01-2009, 17:49
He has under his services under his name who provides his net

Turkey Machine
26-01-2009, 17:54
Yeah, I'm currently at uni just trying to get it working. It was doing the same thing at home though, so a bit baffled, but will try again later when I get home.

@mags: nothing like that under the account settings. :(

zing_deleted
26-01-2009, 17:56
so your still using VM at uni?

Dai
26-01-2009, 18:35
According to the VM usenet groups the system has been flaky for quite a while recently. Others have been reporting similar problems so I'd guess the problem is not at your end.

broadbandking
26-01-2009, 18:46
Yeah, I'm currently at uni just trying to get it working. It was doing the same thing at home though, so a bit baffled, but will try again later when I get home.

@mags: nothing like that under the account settings. :(

If your not using VM at UNI then you wont get access to the VM news servers

Turkey Machine
26-01-2009, 19:04
Am now at home on a VM connection and it now works, go figure. Since when did the b*****ds start using IPs to regulate who can use their newsgroups?

Kymmy
26-01-2009, 19:05
Since they moved to news.virginmedia.com

Sir John Luke
26-01-2009, 19:07
Am now at home on a VM connection and it now works, go figure. Since when did the b*****ds start using IPs to regulate who can use their newsgroups?

As long as I've been accessing them - was it ever different?

Kymmy
26-01-2009, 19:08
Yes, the old servers you had to use your account username/password for access...so in reality you could access them from anywhere

zing_deleted
26-01-2009, 19:14
I never had to on NTLs server and thats going back some years