PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Internet Access Problems

caph
23-01-2009, 22:58
I thought I'd post this in case anyone else is having problems connecting to the internet on their Virgin phone.

I've not been able to get on the internet for a few weeks now and assumed my phone was knackered, until I tried on a new phone and got the same problem.

After fiddling around with the settings for a while I found that the problem was the gateway IP address which Virgin say is 193.30.166.3. If I delete this altogether I can get on the internet without any problems.

This is the same on two different makes of phone so I don't think it is phone specific.

Hope that helps anyone else having problems.

BenMcr
24-01-2009, 01:03
It could be that the settings are out of date?

They seemed to get new profiles when they changed to the 30p a day access

Matth
25-01-2009, 17:58
Ah, does that mean repeating the "phone settings" thing?
http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/setup3gAndGprs.do?contentId=setting.up.3g.gprs.how doi.sm101

BenMcr
25-01-2009, 21:10
Yes.

Locky33
25-01-2009, 21:10
Sorry if this has been asked before i am on the virgin 100+100 offer for cable customers. How much does it cost if i access the internet? I not tried yet incase it is expensive.

BenMcr
26-01-2009, 14:12
30p a day for ALL Virgin Mobile customers

caph
29-01-2009, 21:41
Got round to checking the website. It's wrong for all the phones I've checked. The settings all include setting the access point address to 193.030.166.003 which doesn't work on either of my two phones. I have to leave it on server assigned to get internet access.

Is no-one else experiencing this problem?

Matth
29-01-2009, 23:01
30p a day for ALL Virgin Mobile customers

30p per (not sure if it's 24 hours or calendar day), subject to 25MB quota, £2 per MB over.
Does not include using phone as a modem.

Even on PAYG, it's 30p for the day, taking Virgin mobile from being one of the worst tarriffs for occasional data, to being among the best.

Matth
02-02-2009, 00:06
Settings it is giving now:

Name: Virgin GPRS
IP Address: 193.030.166.004
Username: user
Password: (none)
Homepage: Virgin Mobile Bites
Server Address: http://www.virgin.com/mobile/wap/

On the phone, the Username is actually blank

shadow771
20-02-2009, 18:06
would you still get charged 30p if you dont use the internet for the whole day?

bywater
20-02-2009, 18:54
I thought I'd post this in case anyone else is having problems connecting to the internet on their Virgin phone.

I've not been able to get on the internet for a few weeks now and assumed my phone was knackered, until I tried on a new phone and got the same problem.

After fiddling around with the settings for a while I found that the problem was the gateway IP address which Virgin say is 193.30.166.3. If I delete this altogether I can get on the internet without any problems.

This is the same on two different makes of phone so I don't think it is phone specific.

Hope that helps anyone else having problems.
Just go to virgin mobile website put in your phone and phone number they then send a text that will automatically install the network settings for you. Saves messing around and fiddling with phone. It worked fine for me. The Mobile broadband a better offer @ 1Gig per month not sure if that sim would work in the phone or if they would know. Great if you have one of those mini laptop things much better than surfing on a phone. Never really understood the attraction of using the internet on a piddly phone screen myself.

---------- Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

would you still get charged 30p if you dont use the internet for the whole day?
Yes you will. There is a 25 Mb per day limit which doesn't go far if you use something like yotube mobile. Not sure what happens when you go over the 25Mb a day limit. They do advertise as unlimited but with everything Virgin advertise as unlimited it never is. They should be banned from using the term unlimited IMO as it clearly is not.

shadow771
20-02-2009, 21:46

Yes you will. There is a 25 Mb per day limit which doesn't go far if you use something like yotube mobile. Not sure what happens when you go over the 25Mb a day limit. They do advertise as unlimited but with everything Virgin advertise as unlimited it never is. They should be banned from using the term unlimited IMO as it clearly is not.

i only use the mobile web for facebook, so i still get charged the 30p if i dont use it for a whole day? :(

shadow771
21-02-2009, 19:00

i only use the mobile web for facebook, so i still get charged the 30p if i dont use it for a whole day? :(

you dont pay the 30p if you dont use the internet for a whole day, i havent used mine today and have not been charged

bywater
22-02-2009, 16:13
you dont pay the 30p if you dont use the internet for a whole day, i havent used mine today and have not been charged

That is correct I miss understood you. You only get charged 30p for the day you actually access the internet. Irrespective of how much you use on the day you use it. ie. If you download one email you get charged 30p for the whole day whether you use it the rest of the day or not. Can work out more expensive than the old tariff if you just use for the ocassional checking face book or the odd email.

Guy T
08-03-2009, 09:09
Hi

Can Ben or someone point me to the relevant webpage or complete details for the 30p a day data service.
If I use it every day to say get an update to an app on my phone (eg weather) would I then pay £9 per month ? - £9 per month for 25Mb/day limit doesn't seem too good a deal compared to the £5 for 1Gb !

Thanks

Guy

BenMcr
08-03-2009, 11:16
You mean you missed the rather large 'Mobile Web' button at the top of the Virgin Mobile homepage which links to http://mobileweb.virginmobile.com/virgin.mobileweb/

As for pricing is £9 for around 700Mbit

So yes the Mobile Stick is cheaper, but you don't get free minutes or texts with that ;)

Guy T
08-03-2009, 13:57
I had seen that website but it still doesn't make everything clear! such as where does it say you only get charged on the days you use the service - it reads like you pay 30p every day regardless