PDA

View Full Version : PS3 audio setup HELP

ninjatim01
22-01-2009, 22:29
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm looking to buy a Sony STRDG520 5.1 receiver, whats the best audio connection to use. my phillips tv doesn't have an audio out that i can see, i was thinking of using an optical cable from my ps3 to the receiver and a hdmi from my ps3 to tv. Is this a good setup or should i go for hdmi cable from ps3 to receiver instead.

Any help would be great guys, many thanks

BenMcr
22-01-2009, 22:34
If the reciever accepts HDMI in, then use that.

Tezcatlipoca
22-01-2009, 22:42
:welcome:

I'd just use HDMI from PS3 to TV, and optical from PS3 to amp.

You could route the PS3's video *and* audio via HDMI through the amp if you wanted, but I don't think there's any real benefit though.

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:36 ----------

Actually, thinking about it, I'd go with BenMcr's suggestion.

I was initially thinking there's no point of routing through the amp via HDMI as it isn't a 7.1 HD amp, so you may as well just use optical for the audio.

But, due to an annoyance with the PS3, there is a benefit still though:

The PS3 can only output audio via one output at a time: e.g. optical *or* HDMI.

This means if you have the PS3 hooked up to the amp via optical & the TV via HDMI, you need to go into the PS3's audio output settings everytime you want to switch from HDMI audio (TV speakers) to optical audio (amp) & vice versa.

Routing it all via the amp using HDMI would avoid this:

The PS3 would just be left to output audio via HDMI, then if you wanted to use the amp you turn that up & the TV down, and if you wanted the sound from the TV you'd turn that up & the amp down.

ninjatim01
23-01-2009, 20:29
Thanks guys, i just didn't know what option to use for my ps3 to get the best quality and effect. I've been juggling optical cables and hdmi cables, i will buy a new hdmi cable for my ps3 and then connect it to the amp. How do i get the tv sound through the amp too so i can switch the amp between tv/ps3.

Cheers for the feedback im new to all things audio so this is a real help

Tezcatlipoca
23-01-2009, 21:12
If the TV has no audio output of any kind, then you won't be able to take its sound to the amp.

Do you watch TV via an STB of any kind? If so, you could at least hook that up to the amp.

btw, when you go & buy your new HDMI cable, don't be sucked into spending loads on some fancy super-duper cable. Not needed.

ninjatim01
23-01-2009, 22:23
the tv has no audio out, but i take it if the ps3 is connected to the amp via hdmi cable and then the amp is connected to the tv through hdmi, that'll work fine??

with regards to the cable, how bout this:

http://www.digibuys.co.uk/Premium-Quality-HDMI-CABLE-for-HD-Sky-DVD-p-148.html

Tezcatlipoca
23-01-2009, 22:46
Yeah, PS3 >HDMI> amp >HDMI> TV is absolutely fine - the PS3's video & audio will go to the TV via the amp. You should be able to get the PS3's audio out of the amp's speakers and the TV's speakers.

When you asked about the TV sound, I thought you were asking about taking the actual audio from the TV (e.g. Freeview) to the amp.

The cable should be fine. It says it has a 5GB/sec transfer rate, so I assume is a category 1 HDMI cable (pre-V1.3 / category 2), however that shouldn't matter, as the PS3 doesn't really need the higher bandwidth available via HDMI 1.3 (unless AFAIK you have a "Deep Colour" TV), plus apparently most category 1 cables can handle category 2 anyway, so long as they are not too long (they're just not certified for it).

ninjatim01
23-01-2009, 23:09
cheers for that dude, i cant wait to get it setup, thanks again

Tezcatlipoca
24-01-2009, 01:23
No prob. Enjoy :)

ninjatim01
07-02-2009, 15:16
Just had some feed back regarding the Sony STR-DG 520, Apparently when running the ps3 via HDMI through the Receiver and then to the tv, video isn't processed and you only get audio. Is this true? if so, i don't mind getting an optical cable instead but i thought why pay out for another cable when i don't need to.......

BenMcr
07-02-2009, 15:35
That can't be right. That goes against everything HDMI was designed for.

ninjatim01
07-02-2009, 15:47
Thats what i thought, but i read a review and it said it has something to do with pass-through??????

BenMcr
07-02-2009, 16:10
It might strip the audio out and only pass the video (which would make more sense ;) )

ninjatim01
07-02-2009, 16:12
I may just get an optical cable in that case, i'm sure its not going to be that much of a difference......Hopefully

BenMcr
07-02-2009, 16:17
Still won't help. you can only chose one or the other on the PS3

ninjatim01
07-02-2009, 20:59
what i mean is, i'll connect the ps3 hdmi to my tv and then optical to the receiver

BenMcr
07-02-2009, 21:17
I know, but you will have to choose each time. The PS3 cannot output audio over HDMI and optical at the same time

As you reciever will pass through the video, you might as well just use that

SIMMO50
29-09-2010, 13:20
I HAVE AN OLD PANASONIC HOME THEATRE SYSTEM BUT CANT UNDERSTAND WHY I CANT GET ANY SOUND TO THE SURROUND SPEAKERS FROM THE PS3 OR DIRECT FROM TV USING THE OPTICAL OUTPUT CABLE, CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE.
I HAVE TRIED CONNECTING STRAIGHT FROM PS3 TO THE DVD RECIEVER AND ALSO FROM THE TV TO THE RECIEVER BUT NOTHING.
AND ALSO TRIED THE 2 STANDARD AUDIO OUTPUT CABLES AND THIS DONT WORK EITHER.
I have altered the output on the ps3 to optical out as well, any ideas?
Thanks.:dozey:

ninjatim01
29-09-2010, 13:53
Can you put a product name for your home theatre so i can see it? i'll do some digging for you

SIMMO50
29-09-2010, 20:34
hI, THANKS FOR THE REPLY.
THE SYSTEM IS ABOUT 12 YEARS OLD. ITS A PANASONIC SA HT900 HOME THEATRE SYSTEM.
HOPE YOU CAN HELP OTHERWISE I CAN SEE MY HAVING TO BUY ANOTHER SURROUND SYSTEM.
JUST TRIED MY YAMAHA 800 WIRELESS SPEAKER WITH THE OPTICAL LEAD AND IT IS PERFECT. CANT USE THIS THOUGH AS WE USE THIS IN OUR MAIN LOUNGE AND MY PS3 IS I ANOTHER ROOM.
STEVE

SIMMO50
01-10-2010, 09:40
anyone help me out with the above thread please. still cant get it to work and dont really want to be rushing to buy another one before I know for sure if it is not compatible or something, as I would of thought the optical cable would work ok? thanks

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

can you put a product name for your home theatre so i can see it? I'll do some digging for you

its a panasonic sa ht900 system. Thanks

ninjatim01
04-10-2010, 12:44
Sorry, been away for a bit. After a bit of digging it does seem quite an old system how ever it should still work in theory. Try the following connection to start:

For Video (if possible) PS3 -> HDMI/Component -> TV

Audio: PS3 -> Optical -> DVDrec

Once done, go to your PS3 menu bar and find sound settings. Select the output to optical and then manual. It should ask you to select the codecs and freq to use. Select them all. That should be you done. If its not working then it will an issue with the dvdrec, try looking through the manual on setting up sound. I tried looking on the net for a manual to check but i couldn't see it. Hope this helps