PDA

View Full Version : New Property

Down the Pub
22-01-2009, 16:34
i'm moving shortly to a new house which is literally brand new (it's 2 houses built on an old pub), and i want to take my services with me. i have had the ok from the agents, but they said that the people who took the other house enquired but virgin told them that they couldn't have the services as they couldn't be supplied.

now when i rang the other day the moving team looked it up and said that it could be done, and it was booked for next weekend (31st jan). now for some reason i'm getting a nagging in my head saying there could be a problem.

all the houses on the road appear to be cable enabled, but seem to stop nextdoor and the house opposite (which is about 20ft opposite), had a look but with all the cars parked i couldn't see any service covers. what is likely to be involved to pull a cable in i.e. path digging etc (as i think that this would be very likely) and why would nextdoor be told they couldn't have it and we can? and is it likely that vm's records could be wrong (as it they have been known to be before) and in that case :Yikes:

Down the Pub
23-01-2009, 18:04
anyone?

piggy
23-01-2009, 18:09
i would sit tight and let the appointment happen then at least you will have had a sight visit and you will get a deffinate answer.

Jonnymeg
23-01-2009, 21:17
The fact that it is a brand new house does not sound good. It is unlikely that the ducting will be in place to your house.
If there is any road/footway digging to be done you can pretty much forget it.
If the ducting does run under the pavement past your house you have a chance though. Check if the neighbours (old properties) have cable BOTH sides of you.

monkey2468
23-01-2009, 21:35
If the pub before was serviced, then the ducting may still be there in which case you will probably get connected if the spotter is happy.

Down the Pub
28-01-2009, 13:07
The fact that it is a brand new house does not sound good. It is unlikely that the ducting will be in place to your house.
If there is any road/footway digging to be done you can pretty much forget it.
If the ducting does run under the pavement past your house you have a chance though. Check if the neighbours (old properties) have cable BOTH sides of you.

the whole street is cabled, the neighbour to the left of my house has a cable point as does the house on the opposite side of the road, but the neighbour on the right of me is another new house. as for the digging - the pathway is brick and not tarmac (dunno if that will make a difference in the decision?)

chickendippers
28-01-2009, 13:35
Virgin won't seek permission from the council to dig up the highway, so if that's necessary, you won't be able to receive the services.

Down the Pub
31-01-2009, 18:32
at 8.45am they came, they saw, and..................................they installed. there was a little triangular cover plate (which i assume is the end of the duct?) by the drain pipe which i didn't notice, and this had a coax in it. so it was true that i could get services but not the other new house.

so the only thing to do now is set up the router and get started, only because i've been out since they went.

happy days.