PDA

View Full Version : Moving Modem

AlabasterLyn
22-01-2009, 14:03
I've read on here that VM charge £99 to move a modem and wondered if it's possible to do it yourself. We currently have our modem in an upstairs bedroom and want to move it to a different room in the house.

MovedGoalPosts
22-01-2009, 17:07
The wiring on the street side of any modem or set top box should only be altered by Virgin Media techs, or adapted using a self install kit Virgin Media send their customer. Self install stuff is generally for use with points that already exist and you are just resurrecting them for a new broadband or TV service. If you mess about with your cabling and don't get it right you can degrade your own service and that of your neighbours.

People have done their own alterations. Your difficulty is getting the right type of cable (standard aerial coaxial is not good enough), getting the connectors and making reliable joints with them, checking signal levels and stuff haven't been compromised.

on in an hour!
22-01-2009, 18:01
I've read on here that VM charge £99 to move a modem and wondered if it's possible to do it yourself. We currently have our modem in an upstairs bedroom and want to move it to a different room in the house.

for about £60 you can buy a wireless router and receiver (for your desktop) which will save you a bit of cash,router will sit downstairs with your modem,no need for messy wiring ;)

Halcyon
22-01-2009, 18:02
If you don't mind leaving the modem in the spare room, you can simply buy a long ethernet cable to go from the modem to your PC.
This can be done yourself and will cause no issues to your installation.

AlabasterLyn
23-01-2009, 08:26
Thanks for your replies. Well I don't fancy having a cable across the landing so I don't think I'll do that, although it would have worked if the rooms were closer to each other. Not sure about having a wireless router and receiver for the desktop purely as it would mean they would still be in the same room and I want to rearrange the furniture and there won't be anywhere for them to go.

So it seems paying out £99 is my only option. Now my question is can I leave the current cabling and box where it is and pay £99 for a totally new installation to another room so that if I ever want to move it back again the cable and box are still there.

Jonnymeg
23-01-2009, 21:20
So it seems paying out £99 is my only option. Now my question is can I leave the current cabling and box where it is and pay £99 for a totally new installation to another room so that if I ever want to move it back again the cable and box are still there.

All your old cabling will be left in place, we don't remove it.
It may however be disconnected outside but if you ask the installer he may be able to leave if switched on depending on the signal strength to your house.

AlabasterLyn
24-01-2009, 14:10
All your old cabling will be left in place, we don't remove it.
It may however be disconnected outside but if you ask the installer he may be able to leave if switched on depending on the signal strength to your house.

That sounds fine, maybe while I am at it I will get another V+ box too as my existing box is always playing up, assuming you are allowed two V+ boxes.