PDA

View Full Version : IP Change in Portsmouth (and reseg?)

deed02392
21-01-2009, 15:46
Got back from college today and had no internet. Straight into router config it claimed all was good, released and renewed my lease (it had been up 10 days), got a different IP address.

You may wonder why this surprises me and that's because I have had my old IP address since I got internet with Virgin (then NTL), i.e. for well over 3 years. I thought I would do a reverse DNS on my new IP to see what I could tell had changed:

custxxx.cos2

I noticed that not only had my customer number changed significantly, but that I did used to be on cos1. Either there was a DHCP dropout in the area and I've been too late getting my old IP back (strange after so many years with my old one though) or they have resegmented the network and I've been moved over and hence my customer ID has been reduced (by almost half) starting from 1 or whatever on the new segment.

So really I'm wondering if anyone has any idea if this could have happened, or if there has been any other problem? Failed to notice any major outages on the threads today so I'm assuming it's not another of the mass blackout a while back now.

P.S.: I didn't get a different IP after that escapade either, nor when I changed speeds multiple times. The system connected to the modem has not had a MAC change.

flowrebmit
21-01-2009, 16:33
I'm in the cosham area, and found the internet not working when I got in. Did as you did and released/renewed and I have a different IP and cust number plus the lease is only 1hr instead of 4 days.

Virginmedia Status has a problem listed for Gosport PO12 - maybe the tech stuck the screw driver in the wrong place?

deed02392
21-01-2009, 17:02
Perhaps, or maybe it was really a resegmentation to help with upcoming 50Mb roll out?

Noggo
21-01-2009, 17:31
I would go with resegmentation. Whether or not related to 50M equipment installation I don't know. I had the same IP address since joining Telewest over 8 years ago, until last August when it changed twice in the space of a week or so. I notice I had also move from card 01 to 05 as well. I didn't catch what the card # was with the first IP change though.

Not complaining though, as it did resolve most of my issues with download speed and erratic latency :woot:.

flowrebmit
21-01-2009, 17:36
I've been comparing the cable modem information. I can see a couple of changes but I don't know the significance.

On the Cable Modem Information was:

Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant

and now:

Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant

On the Cable Modem Upstream was:

Upstream Modulation : QPSK

and now:

Upstream Modulation : QAM16

Maggy
21-01-2009, 17:39
I'm in the cosham area, and found the internet not working when I got in. Did as you did and released/renewed and I have a different IP and cust number plus the lease is only 1hr instead of 4 days.

Virginmedia Status has a problem listed for Gosport PO12 - maybe the tech stuck the screw driver in the wrong place?

Well In Gosport we've been having trouble on and off for about a week before this last weekend and then on Saturday night the TV AND BB went down in just my borough all at once.Got sorted within an hour and has been ok until this am when I had to reboot the modem.

Not usually that much trouble in this area.:)

LaineY
21-01-2009, 17:41
Bear in mind Virgin Media uses Dynamic IP's

Your IP will change at one point.

I know where you are coming from though as mine was the same for years and all of a sudden i have a different ubr / IP etc..

I would defo go for the resegmentation of the network. There may be a plus side to this :)

Regards

deed02392
21-01-2009, 18:24
I've no doubt there's a plus to this, I'm glad to be resegg'd (spelling?) :) Just a shame I'm down to 10Mb after 20Mb being erratic, and now I've no chance of going back up again! (20Mb was being paid for as a christmas present last year :( .)

Glad all my domains are handled with zoneedit, changing them wasn't much hassle :)

soup dragon
21-01-2009, 21:14
hmm, i had no internet this morning when i woke, reset my router and all was fine again, thought it was my router being flakey.:)

deed02392
21-01-2009, 21:21
You probably had your IP changed too ;)

BritAngie
15-02-2009, 16:35
Anyone had more problems in the Portsmouth area this week? Mine went down today for the third time this week. Yesterdays and last weeks outage was Portsmouth wide (I suspect todays was aswell.) Any idea why as normally very reliable! There is nothing on the virgin website.

deed02392
15-02-2009, 17:41
Yep I did have some random outages yesterday when I noticed I was disconnecting from my IRC bouncer. Thought it was just my server but then after I did a release/renew everything went smooth again