PDA

View Full Version : How can I move the wall mounted box, very strange screws used?

Baldford2
21-01-2009, 13:21
Hi all!

I am getting some building work done at my house and the builders need to remove the internal wall mounted VM TV box (white), plaster behind it and refit it. VM have told me it will cost £99 for them to just remove it (I guess another £99 to come back and refit it) so I want to do it myself.

Will anything go wrong if I undo the fixing screws on the front cover? Are these special screw heads (or can I buy an adapter in B&Q for these screws)?

If I can't remove these screws I'm even considering cutting the wall around the box to remove it. I really don't want to pay them £99.

Thanks for you help.

SimpleSimon
21-01-2009, 20:18
I have just recently finished decorating my daughters room which has a VM wall box. I just used a normal Philips screwdriver to remove the cover and the same screwdriver to remove the wall box from the wall. I then was able to strip the wallpaper, repaper and paint. I then put it all back again. No problems whatsoever.

Simon

Baldford2
21-01-2009, 21:38
Thanks Simon! These arn't Philips screws though, they are like inverted torx drives.

TheNorm
21-01-2009, 21:49
... they are like inverted torx drives.

Pin torx?

http://www.insight-security.com/fastenings.htm

Kymmy
21-01-2009, 22:10
Inverted torx doesn't sound like security torx (torx with a pin in them and normally found on psu's...)

Sounds more like a TX-Star headed screw for which you can buy TX Star sockets..

bw41101
21-01-2009, 22:54
Any chance you can take a photo so we can have a butcher's?

Si thee :Sprint:

Baldford2
22-01-2009, 14:57
Thanks all! I think it might be a TX Star (as Kymmy suggests). I'll take a photo tonight and show you all.

Does anyone know if there are any anti tamper switches on the cover, so when I take it off I lose my TV / Internet connnection to VM?

pabscars
22-01-2009, 15:18
there is no anti tamper switches behind mine, i had a look a while back to check for a loose connection and it was just a normal box, so i pressume yours would be the same

Baldford2
22-01-2009, 15:23
Thanks 'Pabscars', did yours have the TX Star fixings?
If so do you know what size you used?

Chris
22-01-2009, 15:27
I imagine the slightly odd screw heads are there to discourage you from opening it yourself, but provided you can get it off, and you don't disturb any of the connections inside, VM will be none the wiser.

TBH they have made themselves hostages to fortune by slapping a £99 charge on any and all call-outs. All it does is encourage people to have a go themselves, something VM repeatedly says it doesn't want them to do.

pabscars
22-01-2009, 16:01
Thanks 'Pabscars', did yours have the TX Star fixings?
If so do you know what size you used?

mine had normal phillips ps2 type screws, but i already have a security bit set anyway so it wouldnt have been a problem, just try using a small glasses flat head screw driver (inserted in the space between the pin and the edge) before you go out buying new gear, the screws are never normally in that tight anyway.
:)

hedgie
22-01-2009, 16:15
Thanks all! I think it might be a TX Star (as Kymmy suggests). I'll take a photo tonight and show you all.

Does anyone know if there are any anti tamper switches on the cover, so when I take it off I lose my TV / Internet connnection to VM?

We have just re-decorated, the only thing inside the wall box was a splitter / attenuator connected to the coax using a standard F-type connector, took it off the wall, painted, put it back no problems.

Mine had standard slotted screws. If anyone is having difficulty getting specifc bits Screwfix usually has it.

Baldford2
22-01-2009, 19:59
Thanks everyone for your help and time in answering this question. I'll take the box off the wall and if I get any problems I'll let you know, cheers!

topman
15-02-2009, 15:51
special safety screws, u need a special tool. ask next vm van u see. offer him a drink . its happend to me before