PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Virgin Media Modem for setting up remote access

SSK
19-01-2009, 23:46
Hi,

Please help with the following problem:-

I have a Draytek 2820 Router connected to a Virgin Media Modem, I am trying to setup remote access whilst configuring the router, to enable a VPN connection for someone else to remotely log into my system.

At present it looks like I have to provide a username and password of the internet provider under the WAN>>>PPPoA setting for the router configuration.
I have called Virgin Media for this, however they have said there is no such information! how can I enable this feature without these details? does the modem not support this kind of functionality? The previous modem was 'Motorola' with the same service provider and everything worked then, so if the actual internet provider has not changed why can I not enable remote access???
Help!

BenMcr
20-01-2009, 00:02
The Draytek 2820 Router (http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2820.html) is an ADSL modem router first and a cable router second (i.e for backup)

As well as the primary ADSL interface, the Vigor 2820 features a secondary WAN port for Internet access. This is an Ethernet interface and can connect to a second ADSL modem, cable modem or any other Ethernet-based Internet feed. The secondary interface can be used either for WAN-Backup or load balancing.

Also the cable modem supplies the details to the router (or anything else for that matter) using DHCP

SSK
20-01-2009, 00:15
The router has a ethernet cable from its 'WAN2' port to the ethernet port on the modem, previously I had an Draytek 2200E router with the Motorola modem (same internet provider), and it all use to work fine then. Considering the older version of the router worked, is this new version totally different? In the specification it states >>>> 'This is an Ethernet interface and can connect to a second ADSL modem, cable modem or any other Ethernet-based Internet feed.' ?

---------- Post added at 00:15 ---------- Previous post was at 00:13 ----------

Some more info that may help>>>>
'Compatible with all variants of ADSL (include ADSLMax, ADSL2+ and Annex M), the Draytek Vigor 2820 series can also be used for cable-modem and leased line applications thanks to its additional WAN port (Ethernet). A Gigabit Ethernet port on the WAN side provides high speed connectivity for your server (or uplink to a larger Ethernet Switch).'

BenMcr
20-01-2009, 00:24
Apparently you need to make sure you select 'WAN2' and then physical type as 'ethernet'. Also it seems you need to disable WAN1 or it will default to that. (Section 3.1.3 of the user guide (ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Manual/User_Guide_V2.01.zip))

In additon you need to set WAN2 to 'Always on' for active mode.

---------- Post added at 00:19 ---------- Previous post was at 00:16 ----------

You can then set WAN 2 to be Dynamic IP (section 3.1.4, Page 41)

---------- Post added at 00:24 ---------- Previous post was at 00:19 ----------

After that you should be able to configure VPN as normal

SSK
20-01-2009, 00:42
Thank you! the user guide looks very helpful.

I will try this out tomorrow, will update as to what happens.

Thanks again!