PDA

View Full Version : Freesat installation

billdh4
19-01-2009, 13:03
I want to set up Freesat system. I use Freeview at the moment with a seperate digi box with a HDD video recorder which records on video tape and DVD which is limited to record analogue if I am watching freeview, but if I want to record Freeview on one channel I cannot watch another Freeview channel. My TV is High definition ready,what do I need with the system I have without having to dipense with my video recorder without being outdated again in a couple of years time?
I will be having a Freesat dish installed.
Can anybody help please?

Aragorn
19-01-2009, 13:22
If you want Freesat HD then you need a Humax box. Imo, you would be best getting the Humax Freesat HD PVR (http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=HUMA-FOXSAT-HDR-BOX) which means you can record one Freesat channel while watching another or record two while watching a previous recording.
Leave the freeview box in place as another option for recording none HD.

billdh4
19-01-2009, 14:43
Thanks Aragorn for your prompt reply.Will I have much problem interconnecting my video recorder?

Aragorn
19-01-2009, 15:58
Depends on how many Scart/HDMI sockets you have.
I would probably use HDMI from Freesat to the TV and Scart from the Freeview to TV. Optionally you could take a Scart lead from Freesat into the video recorder, but I can't guarantee how the Scart behaves on the Humax box (eg on V+ if you use HDMI, the Scart is only active to playback recordings onto another recorder, eg VCR).
Hope that's clear.

joglynne
19-01-2009, 16:06
Hi billdh4 and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to butt into your thread but I thought I would point out a thread started by Chris covering his Freestat installation, if you haven't already seen it you might find it interesting.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/64/33637311-freesat-set-up-an-introduction-photos.html

billdh4
19-01-2009, 16:17
So - aerial socket-humax box`HDMI` -TV- Scart-Freeview digi box-video recorder`Scart`
Is that about right?

Aragorn
19-01-2009, 16:28
Pretty much :)

billdh4
19-01-2009, 16:41
Thanks for your trouble Aragorn,also joglynne, I had viewed Chris`s thread, which will be useful in setting up.