PDA

View Full Version : Virgins router...which comes first

Ant
14-01-2009, 16:43
Hi, I have just got Virgins router and I am bamboozled.

I want to keep my desktop wired but set my new laptop up wirelessly.
The instructions that come with the router say DO NOT connect the cable modem to the router until told to do so, (presumably by the CD setup instructions) It also says DONT connect any PC's to the router before or during setup.
It doesn't mention if you want to keep one wired. So I rang to check if I should setup the laptop first with the CD, get it running then connect the desktop to the router last.
I was told to take no notice of the instructions and connect the modem to the router, the router to the desktop PC and get that working first.
I now dont know what sequence to do it all in.
Has anyone else had to go through this setup that can give me advice please.

Joxer
14-01-2009, 16:49
If you want to use the cd - run it on the laptop then when it is up and running connet the dektop to the router. Job done. Or hang about while I find the instructions because I can't be bothered typing them out again.

piggy
14-01-2009, 16:50
turn the modem off, connect the modem to the router, then the router to the desktop pc and start everything up, you should now have wired internet. the wirless key is on the base of the router so use this to connect wireless. the disk just makes it easier with a wizard.

Joxer
14-01-2009, 16:57
Piggy, that is actually incorrect, the username and password are on the router not the wireless key. Try this:

1. Unplug power from modem and router.
2. Connect modem to router using ethernet cable - it goes in the yellow socket on the router
3. Connect one of the four spare socket (any one) to the dektop.
3a.Power up the modem - wait for the lights to stop flashing, power up the router.
4. Open a web browser, you should get the router setup page.
5. Enter a network name (SSID) and passphrase (don't forget it).
6. Close the window when prompted, reopen browser and check it works.
7. Connect your laptop to your new wireless netwok, use the network name and passphrase in step 5.
8. Happy surfing.

Last time I posted this I left out the rather important step 3a.oops:

Ant
14-01-2009, 17:06
OK thanks
At step 7. To connect the laptop to the wireless network.......

1, can I use the CD to set it up and
2, should I have my router and modem and other pc all switched of(or disconnected) as it states I should in the instructions.

General Maximus
14-01-2009, 17:16
you dont need the cd for anything. You can leave the router and modem on. All you need to do is to enable your wi-fi (wireless network card) on your laptop and use the utility to search for available wireless networks and tell it to connect to it. You should have the same window comeup as your pc where you have to enter a password etc.

Ant
14-01-2009, 17:22
But is there any reason why I can't use the CD if I wish.

General Maximus
14-01-2009, 17:25
Yup, CDs for these sort of things are a waste of time and are more trouble than they are worth. You don't need crap being installed on your pc when you have already got software installed to do it. It is like me telling you I am going to attach another head to your body which is going to move your arms and legs for you even though your current one can do it just fine.