PDA

View Full Version : Modem replacement advice

jamscones
14-01-2009, 15:57
Hi,

I just arranged to have my old NTL:Home 100 modem replaced, as it reboots itself all the time under load (20mbit line). The Indian chap on 151 that I spoke to seemed really vague about the replacement procedure. It took 5 mins get him to explain clearly that it would be coming via post, not an engineer visit.

So, once it turns up, what's the replacement procedure - do I just hook it up and go, or does it require some VM intervention? What sort of downtime can I expect on my connection as part of this?

Finally, if the new modem doesn't work or VM take ages to activate it (if required), can I continue using the old one?

TIA

Joxer
14-01-2009, 16:04
It slhold come with a letter explaining what you have to do, but you essentially replace the old modem and activate the new one. Ex NTL/Telewest activation methods differ slightly.

Graham M
14-01-2009, 16:04
You might need to phone VM once you've plugged it in to get the MAC address swapped, if for whatever reason (there shouldn't be one) it doesn't work then they should be able to switch back.

jamscones
14-01-2009, 16:12
Thanks chaps.

General Maximus
14-01-2009, 17:23
It will be posted to you. When i first started up with ntl I had to ring them to register the MAC address for my modem but when we went over to VM and I had to get my Ambit 250 when we upgraded to 20mbit i don't remember ringing them. I am sure i just took it out of the box and hooked it up and it worked straight off. It took a few mins to do whatever it does the first time you it connects to the network but after that it was fine.

Peter_
14-01-2009, 17:28
When I got my new modem I called up Quickstart on 0800 953 9500 and they added my modem to my account then sent some signal down the the line to to initialize it or some such thing according to the agent.

LaineY
14-01-2009, 21:14
Yeah,..

You will have to call quickstart for EX NTL to activate your new modem.
They add the macc address to the system and activate it for you (which takes a couple of minutes depending on network)

Not going into too much detail, but you should be back online within minutes.

(you will get a sheet of paper saying "Here's Your New Modem" with the contact number on it)

jamscones
17-01-2009, 13:34
Got my new modem, and it's all installed and activated. A world of difference from the old NTL:Home 100 unit. Just downloaded last night's Battlestar LinuxISO at 2.2MB/s! No reboots!