PDA

View Full Version : Strange speed issue

bwuk
14-01-2009, 11:30
Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing problems with my broadband connection recently. I pay for a 10Mb connection, but I get, at best a 1.5Mb connection. I've tried speedtests, downloading large files etc

I've spoken to Virgin Media and they've said they'll send me a new cable modem.....however, that was 12 days ago and still nothing has arrived. Normally, I'd be a bit peeved about this, but I'm not sure the cable modem is the issue. I've recently bought an iPod touch and downloaded some speedtest software from the App Store. That registers my speed as around 6-7Mb. Can anyone please help me? I'm really confused.

Thanks

bwuk

Stephen
14-01-2009, 11:57
Speed tests have proven to be unreliable in the past but try speedtest.net and post your results?

According to VMs terms you aren't paying for 10MB but are paying for 'Upto' 10MB:)

bwuk
14-01-2009, 12:09
Hi,

I've tried speed tests (speedtest.net and others), as well as downloading large files such as Ubuntu from a VM mirror and I still only get 1.5Mb....if I'm lucky

Stephen
14-01-2009, 12:17
If that is your actual speed as shown on speedtest.net then that is about right for 10MB.

I am on 20MB and my speeds are usually about 2.5Mb

bwuk
14-01-2009, 12:22
Hi,

Sorry, I always get my MB and Mb mixed up.

If I use speedtest, I can download at:

1500kbp/s

or

150Kbps (I think that's the right way round).

So, if I'm downloading an MP3 that is 3Mb in size, it takes about 20 seconds to download, where as if I had my full speed I'd expect to download it in around 3-4 seconds.

Joxer
14-01-2009, 12:43
If downloading on the iPod is not too bad it would suggest a pc issue you could try running TCP optimiser. One thing to try first - try downloading several files at once - gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos is a good place to try - if you can't start more than 2 or 3 at once it is definitely worth a go.

THen again if you have gownloaded Ubuntu try burning it to a cd and booting from it then run the test again.

Stephen
14-01-2009, 15:38
Hi,

Sorry, I always get my MB and Mb mixed up.

If I use speedtest, I can download at:

1500kbp/s

or

150Kbps (I think that's the right way round).

So, if I'm downloading an MP3 that is 3Mb in size, it takes about 20 seconds to download, where as if I had my full speed I'd expect to download it in around 3-4 seconds.
I am sure that 1500kbp/s would be 1.5Mbps which would be about right for 10MB.