PDA

View Full Version : Broadband without Phone

GarethFerguson
13-01-2009, 21:32
Hello There

My sister has just currently moved into her new house and is looking for a great Broadband Service (without the phone! as she has a Mobile Contract).

The problem is....we tried with VirginMedia and they said sure, we can help you! but once they looked up my sisters address, they said it doesn't exist or isn't in there database, so the person took another look and said her address has been black listed which has confused me why it would be? if my sister has just moved in.

Does anyone know any other Cable ISP (like VirginMedia) were I can purchase Broadband only? or know anyone from VirginMedia who could solve this and set up my sister?

Thanks.

Stabhappy
13-01-2009, 21:46
Blacklisted eh.. surely phoning them up and stating that it's rented/recently bought should help? I'd imagine they'd request a dated document proving the new tenant or owner in order to unlist the property. Of course this is purely speculation.

As for other ISP's - only virgin does cable I'm afraid.

General Maximus
13-01-2009, 22:16
akaik the person is not blacklisted, the property is. You will probably find that the person who owned the house before you was blacklisted (probably why they had to sell it), I am not sure how you go about unblacklisting it.

Stabhappy
13-01-2009, 22:18
That's what I meant, surely if you can prove to VM there are new occupants then it can be unlisted and broadband installed?

General Maximus
13-01-2009, 22:23
here you go, you should be able to get the problem sorted no problemo now :)

http://www.thesite.org/homelawandmoney/askthesiteqandas/moneyqandas/blacklistedhome

GarethFerguson
13-01-2009, 23:01
Thanks alot for all of your advice. I have absoutley no idea why it's blacklisted though.

I must admit, she did open a letter from previous attenant and it was a letter from VirginMedia, informing the attenant of an unpaid bill (roughly £400) and it's from some Litigation Company.

It's statated on the letter "Failure to contact Moorcroft Debt Recovery Limited by the 00/00/00 may result in the issue of legal proceedings without further notice"

What do they mean by that? Is there any chance my sister is involved in this?

Stabhappy
13-01-2009, 23:07
The account the bill is registered to will not be linked to your sister in any way, so she won't be paying it.

You should retry VM sales again, and state that blacklisting a property isn't acceptable (or is that illegal? I didn't really pay much attention to the link provided above).

BenMcr
13-01-2009, 23:11
What they will mean is the address has been marked as 'Suspect/Risk'

Bascially lots of people have applied for services in a short space of time, or lots of debt has been run up in different names.

Usually anyone applying for services has to provider full Proof of Identity and possibly proof of previous addresses so that Virgin can make sure the person is who they say they are.

P.S. There is no such thing as a property being 'Blacklisted'. As long as you can prove who you are and when you moved in, any negative issues with address should be ignored by any company you deal with. The only time this may not be the case is if you are related or linked to the person that caused the issues

SMG
14-01-2009, 00:44
If money is owed by previous tenants, then the debt moves with them, unless VM want to get money from the address itself, which is impossible.

Explain to them this problem is not your business & you want the service. Its obviously available because a previous tenant failed to pay the bill. Explain to them you are not liable for their debts, if they refuse, put it in writing, telling them you consider they are refusing service for no credible reason, & that her status as a law abiding citizen is being called into question. State you will be contacting the local papers & taking the matter further.

BenMcr
14-01-2009, 00:56
State you will be contacting the local papers & taking the matter further.
Which is complete overkill.

Stabhappy
14-01-2009, 01:27
I think that a mention of seeking advice in regards to the potential discrimination of customers is a bit more realistic.