PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get a lower bb price?

ginge51
13-01-2009, 14:24
Hi all :)

Well i recently lost my job a month back and i'm having problems with money like everyon else.
I'm out of contract with vm and i'm on the 10 meg 25 pound per month package.
Is there anyway in which i can keep the same package and get a reduced price?
As i'm having trouble paying for things atm due to no work :(

Kymmy
13-01-2009, 14:28
Ring up retentions..tell them that you can't really afford the £25 and are thinking of going elsewhere and see what they offer...

ginge51
13-01-2009, 14:29
Ring up retentions..tell them that you can't really afford the £25 and are thinking of going elsewhere and see what they offer...

What's the number for retentions mate please?

Peter_
13-01-2009, 14:37
What's the number for retentions mate please?

150 and wait for the thinking of leaving us option.

ginge51
13-01-2009, 14:46
Got it reduced on a 12 month contract from 25 squid to 18 squid per month-success :P

Kymmy
13-01-2009, 15:03
:tu:

SimonB79
13-01-2009, 16:28
Im not being offensive here (honestly) but that's not really fair is it?.... why should I (and many more) pay £25 a month for 10meg when others phone up with the old tried and tested sob story and get the same broadband for next 2 nowt???? :rolleyes:

(If u cant afford 25 quid then u should be put on the 2meg M package surely?:confused:)

talk about robbing Peter 2 pay Paul!

What do the rest of u guys think am I wrong????

kpanchev
13-01-2009, 16:54
Im not being offensive here (honestly) but that's not really fair is it?.... why should I (and many more) pay £25 a month for 10meg when others phone up with the old tried and tested sob story and get the same broadband for next 2 nowt???? :rolleyes:

(If u cant afford 25 quid then u should be put on the 2meg M package surely?:confused:)

And what stops you to make the same phone call? Don't have a phone or can't talk on it? Or, more likely, can't be bothered??? Then pay 25 quid and stop complaining!

Noggo
13-01-2009, 16:59
Fair play to the guy, honest enough to ring and say due to unforeseen circumstances will not be able to continue to pay the current price of £25/month and was thinking of leaving. If VM give out a reduction in monthly subs to keep them, well that's up to them. VM probably look at it that they'll get BB from a competitor, so reduce it and keep them as a customer.

The only downside is that now they have a 12 month contract, where as dropping down to 2Meg would have saved money and also given them an option of leaving within 30 days, if the money problems continue.

SimonB79
13-01-2009, 18:11
And what stops you to make the same phone call? Don't have a phone or can't talk on it? Or, more likely, can't be bothered??? Then pay 25 quid and stop complaining!

to be honest.... if u cant afford to pay for the L package (for whatever reason) u shouldnt expect to stay on the same package (at a reduced price), they should stop the free-for-all and just have the 3/4 tiers with their respective prices and be done with it and u would then choose the 1 u can afford, unless virgin are so desperate for customers they are literally letting the tail wag the dog?

broadbandking
13-01-2009, 22:23
Its only a £7 reducation which is nothing to VM the retention deals are closely worked out to make sure they still benefit from the customer been with the company.

Anonybocks
13-01-2009, 22:34
Honestly I can't believe what I'm reading here! - I've been with NTL/VM for donkeys years and always haggled the price. If you "want" to pay £25 a month just for broadband then feel free, but don't slag off those who negotiate a better deal for themselves.

I'm on the £18/mth "L" package (£17.00 with ebilling) because VM didn't want to lose me as a customer. I didn't just whinge I actually canceled the service because it isn't great value at the price if you only take BB.

VM retentions will call you (incessantly) if you cancel - you'd be a mug not to take advantage. ;)

kpanchev
14-01-2009, 00:11
to be honest.... if u cant afford to pay for the L package (for whatever reason) u shouldnt expect to stay on the same package (at a reduced price), they should stop the free-for-all and just have the 3/4 tiers with their respective prices and be done with it and u would then choose the 1 u can afford, unless virgin are so desperate for customers they are literally letting the tail wag the dog?
Unfortunately we live in a supply and demand economy, which means the price of a service is determined from the customer. If the customer wants a lower price and is not prepared to pay big money for it, the cost of the service goes down. Which does not stop the providers to try and find suckers that will pay over the top for something!
By the way, a question for you - when you go to buy a car for example, do you always pay the asking price? Or you try to negotiate a lower one?

rogerdraig
14-01-2009, 01:45

no your not wrong as such you have just been brainwashed to think the price advertised is written in stone

any price for this or that coat in the shop you see you like or even that car is normally open to negotiation

doesn't mean you will always get things cheaper but if you try you will be surprised how often you can

hokkers999
14-01-2009, 02:00
Hi all :)

Well i recently lost my job a month back and i'm having problems with money like everyon else.
I'm out of contract with vm and i'm on the 10 meg 25 pound per month package.
Is there anyway in which i can keep the same package and get a reduced price?
As i'm having trouble paying for things atm due to no work :(

How about you do like everyone else with no job and just do without for a while? What makes you think the world owes you something, it doesn't. It because of freeloaders like you that VM don't have the money to invest to build a decently specced network.

---------- Post added at 02:00 ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 ----------

No, you are absolutely right. All the other posters on here saying "more fool you for not trying it on" are usually the first to whine about the poor state of the network and "why dont vm invest some money". Simple answer they gave it all away to the whingers.

Don't want to pay for it? goodbye, we won't miss you. :mad:

Stabhappy
14-01-2009, 02:00
VM are still making money off this guy, if he was to move to a cheaper provider then VM would have £18 a month less for their upgrades.

hokkers999
14-01-2009, 02:05
VM are still making money off this guy, if he was to move to a cheaper provider then VM would have £18 a month less for their upgrades.

No they have £7 LESS to pay with. Ignoring for the moment the profit element just to make the maths simple.

The cost of providing the service didn't decrease to £18 it's still £25 so they are showing a LOSS of £7/month. the actual figures are slightly different of course but you get the idea.

Stabhappy
14-01-2009, 02:07
The cost of providing the service, I can guarantee you, is far less than you might believe. If VM are providing the service for £18 you can be damn sure that the service cost for a single user on that tier of service is below £18.

LaineY
14-01-2009, 02:33

That is ofcourse VERY VERY true...

and you are correct its not a new thing...

VM will try and go out of their way to keep customers who struggle as it shows that we are supporting them throughout this difficult time...

but i do get what you mean... its the concept of it ......

and im sure there are allot of people in this forum that dont think your wrong...

People have mixed ideas of this...

some people (like myself) are happy to pay the prices advertised
others like to say they are leaving (for whatever reason)...so they can get a reduced rate..

In all honesty the Virgin Media Network is a fantastic peice of KIT... and thats why VM's Services are a tad more pricey that some...

I totally believe in how it works... and why it works.. and i have had a rock solid connection for 10-14 years i have been with them...including dial up..

Im on 20MB just now.. which i pay 37.50 for...
I pay that .. because its the connection i want...
and i have payed that even unemployed for 8 months...when if i wanted to i could have phoned and bitched...

it depends on how people look at it...

People with no faults or problems with a company normally keep their mouths closed...
people with faults or problems over a period of time are the first to talk a company or service down...

nefu
14-01-2009, 13:30
I try to negotiate a price for most things I buy and VM is no exception, I currently enjoy a £23 a month loyalty discount (I did not threaten to leave to obtain that). VM presumably still make a profit on the £59 a month I pay them so I say if you want to pay full price fine, if not call and haggle.

sniper007
14-01-2009, 17:42
I also phoned before a few times and tried to haggle a price since I see it happen so much on these forums. I wouldn't have known to. Its only since reading these forums and seeing the outrageous discounts people get just by doing the retentions lottery. I think it's massively wrong for VM to do this and everyone should be on the same price for what they get, but sadly it's not like that so I do the same. The thing is, when you negotiate a better deal, they try to put you on a new 12 month contract to lock you in, so you do well to just get a simple reduction without a new contract I find. I must phone up and whinge as well and see what they can do. The only reason I don't feel bad doing it is because the broadband is a little overpriced for what you get now imo,

Wild Oscar
14-01-2009, 18:28
Seems fair to me .. after all, new customers get wonderful deals that those of us who have been with NTL/Telewest/VM for donkeys years have not got access to!

If you haven't got the neck to phone up and try it out .. more fool you!!

.. and it's not just this forum ..

rogerdraig
14-01-2009, 19:55
i still find it funny people think that a price a company puts up is what they need to survive

they make huge profits in this country over the cost of production or service cost to them because so many seem to think that questioning a price is close to treason

those paying less wont be taking a penny out of investments in network just out of the overall profit and that's only if you consider they would all stay if these offers were not given and that's definitely not true

i had already ordered sky and a bt line when i phoned them thier offer led me to cancell the bt line for now but they couldnt persuade me on the tv

so thier discoubt gets them £21 a month off me they would not have had with out the deal they offered me with out that deal they would have had nothing of me

what those of you who pay more are doing is paying the most they think they can get out of you not a reasonalbe cost for the service and a reasonable profit but the most they can get away with

if your happy with that thats fine but i for one are not

and that extra you pay is unlikely to be put into the network it just boost the sareholders dividens

hokkers999
15-01-2009, 00:36
Seems fair to me .. after all, new customers get wonderful deals that those of us who have been with NTL/Telewest/VM for donkeys years have not got access to!

If you haven't got the neck to phone up and try it out .. more fool you!!

.. and it's not just this forum ..

The one that really annoys me is that I've had sky since 1990, and still have my original pink "pioneers contract" somewhere. Back when movies and everything were free. Loyalty discount? Hah!

---------- Post added at 00:36 ---------- Previous post was at 00:31 ----------

i still find it funny people think that a price a company puts up is what they need to survive

they make huge profits in this country over the cost of production or service cost to them because so many seem to think that questioning a price is close to treason

those paying less wont be taking a penny out of investments in network just out of the overall profit and that's only if you consider they would all stay if these offers were not given and that's definitely not true

i had already ordered sky and a bt line when i phoned them thier offer led me to cancell the bt line for now but they couldnt persuade me on the tv

so thier discoubt gets them £21 a month off me they would not have had with out the deal they offered me with out that deal they would have had nothing of me

what those of you who pay more are doing is paying the most they think they can get out of you not a reasonalbe cost for the service and a reasonable profit but the most they can get away with

if your happy with that thats fine but i for one are not

and that extra you pay is unlikely to be put into the network it just boost the sareholders dividens

Where to start with this one?

The price they put up is to cover several things

1. cost of providing the service (inter-connects, leccy etc)
2. cost of paying for existing network
3. cost of staff to maintain it
4. profit for FUTURE INVESTMENT
5. profit for shareholders - without which no future money, no company.

Those paying less and reducing profits ARE cutting back future investment, items 1-3 above are fixed (unless you sack a few staff) pretty much. cut back 5 too much and investors withdraw or don't put any more money up, that only leaves item 4.

As for "it only boosts dividends", sorry to have to tell you this but PROFIT isn't a dirty word.

kpanchev
15-01-2009, 01:01
...... As for "it only boosts dividends", sorry to have to tell you this but PROFIT isn't a dirty word.

And what about BARGAIN? Is it dirty? Everybody has the right to offer a fair price that they are ready to pay for a product, if it is accepted, they get the product, if not, they go somewhere else to get the same product...

rogerdraig
15-01-2009, 02:17
The one that really annoys me is that I've had sky since 1990, and still have my original pink "pioneers contract" somewhere. Back when movies and everything were free. Loyalty discount? Hah!

---------- Post added at 00:36 ---------- Previous post was at 00:31 ----------

Where to start with this one?

The price they put up is to cover several things

1. cost of providing the service (inter-connects, leccy etc)
2. cost of paying for existing network
3. cost of staff to maintain it
4. profit for FUTURE INVESTMENT
5. profit for shareholders - without which no future money, no company.

Those paying less and reducing profits ARE cutting back future investment, items 1-3 above are fixed (unless you sack a few staff) pretty much. cut back 5 too much and investors withdraw or don't put any more money up, that only leaves item 4.

As for "it only boosts dividends", sorry to have to tell you this but PROFIT isn't a dirty word.

no problems with profit but you seem to think they have a god given right to the amount of profit they wish

this is supposedly a free market and part of that free market is the right to offer what you wish for a service they have a perfect right to say no

but they are still making a profit on what all these people pay and seem perfectly happy

the only ones i see unhappy are those determined to give thier money away to anyone just because they are a company lol

Welshchris
15-01-2009, 02:46
Uptil last November i was paying £45 for Medium TV Package, 10mb broadband, and Phone which didnt include calls so it was costing me around £60 a month so months with calls.

Rang up and said i was going to Sky, now i pay £46.99 a month for 20mb broadband, large TV and phone which inc all my calls to land lines.

stevos
15-01-2009, 13:16
i kinda agree hokkers, if it was me i'd be downgrading or losing the cable service instead. but at the same time i kind of think to myself hmm i'd like 5 quid a month off my service too!

Ignitionnet
15-01-2009, 14:44
Easy way to lower your bb price - choose a lower tier. If already on the lowest tier cancel it. Job done ;)

nutellajunkie
16-01-2009, 15:14
oh but internet is so vital to todays life... even the skint lol

hey mate.. try dial up!

hokkers999
16-01-2009, 16:09
[snip] this is supposedly a free market and part of that free market is the right to offer what you wish for a service they have a perfect right to say no [snip]

Let's turn that statement around for a moment They are offering a service at a price, and you have the perfect right not to buy it. There, fixed that for you.

rogerdraig
16-01-2009, 16:14
Let's turn that statement around for a moment They are offering a service at a price, and you have the perfect right not to buy it. There, fixed that for you.

exactly i didn't buy it then they offered me lower price which on consideration i found reasonable

( i didnt even ask for a lower price i had already signed up for sky )

but i cant see any reason why some one shouldn't ask either

lol it be funny watching the stock market if people only ever paid what the share holder wanted for a share ;)

SimonB79
16-01-2009, 17:46
I'm gonna go 2 Game tomorrow and get a PS3 for £150.... why should I play £300 for it when ya don't have 2 LOL. I'm gonna haggle the staff blokey cause hey its supply and demand we can pay owt we want LOL.

wish me luck guys LOL

kpanchev
16-01-2009, 21:47
I'm gonna go 2 Game tomorrow and get a PS3 for £150.... why should I play £300 for it when ya don't have 2 LOL. I'm gonna haggle the staff blokey cause hey its supply and demand we can pay owt we want LOL.

wish me luck guys LOL
Yeah, good luck with that, you're just forgetting that the demand for PS3 is higher than supply, that's why they will tell you to go and ..... While if Virgin does this, you'll just get the next bb provider, waiting in line for your custom...

SimonB79
16-01-2009, 23:06
Your wrong the supply for the PS3 far outweighs the demand.... its a simple case of... if u ain't prepared to pay the RRP you ain't gonna get it like 99% of consumer goods. :rolleyes:

besides.... Most people ain't constantly looking for charity.... They want a good service not the cheapest. I would never go with an ADSL provider cause there crap regardless of the price. :rolleyes:

Ignitionnet
16-01-2009, 23:35
Your wrong the supply for the PS3 far outweighs the demand.... its a simple case of... if u ain't prepared to pay the RRP you ain't gonna get it like 99% of consumer goods. :rolleyes:

besides.... Most people ain't constantly looking for charity.... They want a good service not the cheapest. I would never go with an ADSL provider cause there crap regardless of the price. :rolleyes:

That you think all ADSL providers are without exception crap, and that most people view quality over price speaks volumes.

As a very quick explanation there are ADSL providers with higher satisfaction rates and similar average connection performance rates to Virgin Media, and the millions signed up to Sky Broadband, Tiscali, Carphone Warehouse, along with the over 60% of Virgin Media broadband customers on the cheapest M tier would appear to disagree with you on the price - quality point.

SimonB79
16-01-2009, 23:51
That you think all ADSL providers are without exception crap, and that most people view quality over price speaks volumes.

Yep I believe that people would pay for a quality service and my cable connection is perfect... has been for 4 years +, get exactly what I pay for.... Its my opinion and I'm sticking to it thanks BBandings... (it can speak at ANY volume u want.) :D

AbyssUnderground
17-01-2009, 00:49
Its people like the OP thats the reason Virgin have no money to give us the services they're supposed to... Sorry but I think its wrong to take advantage just because you can't afford to pay for something.

If you needed fuel for your car, you wouldn't go and ask for a discount at the counter of the garage would you? No? Don't do it to Virgin then, its not fair on people who DO pay the full amount as they are then subsidising your connection.

If you can't afford it, you should drop back to a package you can afford.

SimonB79
17-01-2009, 01:19
if everyone paid the going rate u all would have the amazing connection ive got, cause virgin would have the cash to constantly keep the network upto date. :)

rogerdraig
17-01-2009, 01:50
Its people like the OP thats the reason Virgin have no money to give us the services they're supposed to... Sorry but I think its wrong to take advantage just because you can't afford to pay for something.

If you needed fuel for your car, you wouldn't go and ask for a discount at the counter of the garage would you? No? Don't do it to Virgin then, its not fair on people who DO pay the full amount as they are then subsidising your connection.

If you can't afford it, you should drop back to a package you can afford.

actually i often used to get a discount on my fuel when i was working as i driving instructor i went to my local garage set up a business account asked what discounts i could get ! as it happens i got between 5 and 10% by paying upfront for what i normally used per month

tesco often give loads of us a discount for using thier petrol over other peoples and buying at thier store

they will also often ( not always ) match offers at other stores and even give you a discount for bulk orders of some items ( wine is a good one ;) )

bartering is what commerce is based on

to think we are taking advantage is funny it is them who take advantage of those who just open thier wallets and say how much do you want !

ontheball
17-01-2009, 09:30
2mb is for the poor. 10mb is for the stupid. 20mb is for the smart. 50mb is for the rich

Turkey Machine
17-01-2009, 11:18
Allow me to rephrase that:

2Mbit is for those not fussed. 10Mbit is for those who need fast. 20Mbit is for those who can't get fast. 50Mbit is a cashcow.

ontheball
17-01-2009, 11:52
2mb ?
10mb never really gets fast enough but capped to low.
20mb fast but not the max. Also capped but still reasonable at 500kb
50mb uncapped so maybe best option.

Ignitionnet
17-01-2009, 12:47
if everyone paid the going rate u all would have the amazing connection ive got, cause virgin would have the cash to constantly keep the network upto date. :)

Do you really think that if they made more money they'd invest it all, or work on reducing the debt burden more?

You make me smile ;)

---------- Post added at 12:42 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

Yep I believe that people would pay for a quality service and my cable connection is perfect... has been for 4 years +, get exactly what I pay for.... Its my opinion and I'm sticking to it thanks BBandings... (it can speak at ANY volume u want.) :D

If you've had cable for 4+ years I have no idea how you can give any kind an educated opinion on the quality of current DSL however customer satisfaction and broadband performance surveys indicate you're wrong to call it all 'crap'.

The spread of customers on VM along with those taking loyalty discounts indicates that your opinion on most people paying for quality is based on purely your own experience and is also inaccurate.

Of course you are entitled to those opinions, just stating that in my opinion, backed up by the evidence, yours have no basis in fact and are coloured by your own views and how happy you are with your 'perfect' cable connection. Personally I don't actually regard Virgin Media, nor pretty much any ISP in the UK as a quality service but that's just me. :)

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

Allow me to rephrase that:

2Mbit is for those not fussed. 10Mbit is for those who need fast. 20Mbit is for those who can't get fast. 50Mbit is a cashcow.

2Mbit for those who aren't that bothered by this Internet thing or just browse a bit.

10Mbit for those who get free upgrades from 2Mbit, take a bundle, or want to download more.

20Mbit for those who want to do more with their connections, are on a bundle including it, have someone else pay for it ;), or simply have the money.

50Mbit for those who actually want something like real broadband for their money, or have the extra cash, or really like big numbers.

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

If you call paying £25/month and receiving 10m/512k amazing I guess that's your prerogative. Chances are you could get higher download and upload from O2 for less but hey.

If it bothers you I pay less than that for 20m/768k. Maybe if they charged more for people taking bundles they'd have more cash to constantly keep the network up to date. Oh wait, no they wouldn't, people would go elsewhere.

Are we getting it yet? VM don't give discounts away and lose money on purpose.

SimonB79
17-01-2009, 13:26
would only get upto 6.5meg on adsl. will stick with my perfect cable connection thanks BB :D

Ignitionnet
17-01-2009, 13:53
would only get upto 6.5meg on adsl. will stick with my perfect cable connection thanks BB :D

If it's 6.5Mbit on standard ADSL then that'll be 10Mbit+ and a 1Mbit+ upstream on ADSL2+ which O2 use, and for less than a tenner a month on top of the BT phone line you already have, less than £15 if you don't have O2 mobile.

Now you see why they offer these deals :angel:

SimonB79
17-01-2009, 14:26
If it's 6.5Mbit on standard ADSL then that'll be 10Mbit+ and a 1Mbit+ upstream on ADSL2+ which O2 use, and for less than a tenner a month on top of the BT phone line you already have, less than £15 if you don't have O2 mobile.

Now you see why they offer these deals :angel:

yep i understand now..... the test was for adsl not adsl2+..... it doesnt give out a speed estimate for adsl2 :( but the lines in my area are ancient probably out of the 1970s seriously lol, if i did get adsl2 it probably wouldnt be more than 10 meg anyway :(. besides arent virgin supposed to be giving us another upgrade later this year? will i not be put on 20meg for £25?

Ignitionnet
17-01-2009, 18:03
yep i understand now..... the test was for adsl not adsl2+..... it doesnt give out a speed estimate for adsl2 :( but the lines in my area are ancient probably out of the 1970s seriously lol, if i did get adsl2 it probably wouldnt be more than 10 meg anyway :(. besides arent virgin supposed to be giving us another upgrade later this year? will i not be put on 20meg for £25?

You only got the upgrade to 10Mbit 5 months ago, think you're due another one quite that quickly? :)

1970 is fairly new for phone lines by the way, some are pre-war.

SimonB79
17-01-2009, 18:43
so is the other thread rubbish then BB? :(.... i think 20 for 25 is a great deal.... especially considering im on a rock solid connection. :) i will not spend anymore than £25 on a net connection its not that i cant afford it, its just i hardly use it lol its purely for xbox live really. :)

Ignitionnet
17-01-2009, 19:18
so is the other thread rubbish then BB? :(.... i think 20 for 25 is a great deal.... especially considering im on a rock solid connection. :) i will not spend anymore than £25 on a net connection its not that i cant afford it, its just i hardly use it lol its purely for xbox live really. :)

Nothing in the other thread is confirmed officially. Zero to suggest that 10Mbit will be getting an upgrade any time soon, as I mentioned the 4 -> 10 upgrade was only done and dusted 4 months ago!

SimonB79
17-01-2009, 20:04
ok BB, always thought the talk of the 10, 20, 50 tier packages was rubbish anyway TBH, no harm done the earth aint gonna come 2 an end LOL, cheerz anyway. :)

Magilla
23-01-2009, 18:42
Nothing in the other thread is confirmed officially. Zero to suggest that 10Mbit will be getting an upgrade any time soon, as I mentioned the 4 -> 10 upgrade was only done and dusted 4 months ago!

Not quite "dusted", more like "ongoing" (seemingly)