PDA

View Full Version : sb5100 send light flashing

Steve Day
10-01-2009, 14:07
after resetting my modem on friday night, it will no longer get past the upstream send test as it reboots.

the modem logs display these 2 messages constantly:

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

1970-01-01 01:29:263-Critical0x04E33B3CUnicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re- initializing MAC

I have tried rebooting the modem many time. the lights remain the same whether or not the pc is on or off when the modem is reset.

anyone got any ideas on the cause?

thanks in advance

Steve

Kymmy
10-01-2009, 14:13
Why did you reset it? had it stopped working before that or did it stop working only after the reset???

Steve Day
10-01-2009, 16:14
i reset it because when i speed tested it the speed was fluctuating quite badly and the the upstream power level had jumped overnight from 50 to 55 dbmv. (which is at the edge of acceptable values)

i thought that this may have had an effect on the connectivity so i reset the modem.

the reset method was exactly the one virgin always advise u to do if u think there may be a problem.

Steve

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

ok this is a bit weird.

picking the modem up moving it and handling it has resulted in it connecting. i think we may be talking loose connection here now.

i actually saw it change from flashing to solid upstream send light as i lifted it up.

Steve

Axegrinder
10-01-2009, 17:26
Your right about 55+ being the maximum acceptable, you should get a tech out and have a look, can you post the downstream power levels as well?

Steve Day
10-01-2009, 19:10
the downstream power seems ok at:
Frequency331000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 40 dB
Power Level 9 dB

i also posted on the virgin cable support newsgroup and was told that its now 58dbmv thats the top line and as long as it stays below 57 and there are no apparent problems then use it.

my quandry is now that i have a tech booked for monday PM and am now wondering whether to cancel it. tho i think i will reserve final decision on that till later on sunday. just to see if the modem fails again in the meantime.

any opinions and thoughts are still welcome.

Steve

Ignitionnet
10-01-2009, 19:12
58dBmV isn't always right at all.

Is there any other information on your upstream, I'm looking specifically for upstream modulation.

If it's 16QAM then 55dBmV is far from fine, it's very marginal.

Posted on the support newgroup, see what they say.

Steve Day
10-01-2009, 19:22
alas there is no other upstream info available from the sb5100 self diagnostics page. is there any other way i can get the info u want?

Steve

Joxer
10-01-2009, 19:30
If it loses connection when you move the cable then I would keep the tech appointment, if it is working when he arrives simply explain that it is losing connection but you can get it back if you wiggle the cable.

If it is on 55dB and isn't locking but locks ok on 50 then 55 is too high.

Ignitionnet
10-01-2009, 19:36
alas there is no other upstream info available from the sb5100 self diagnostics page. is there any other way i can get the info u want?

Steve

Does it have anything about the burst profile on the upstream or symbol rate, or anything else on it relating to the upstream?

Only other way is to use docsdiag: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/docsdiag/

Using the -vvv switch - personally I wouldn't bother though :)

Steve Day
10-01-2009, 19:54
no there are no other values relating to upstream or downstream diagnostics on the sb5100 self test page.

and irrtitatingly i cant get the modem NOT to work now.

i am still very wary of the 5dbmv hike over 12 hours i have experienced tho.

this is getting annoying.

Steve

Ignitionnet
10-01-2009, 19:56
If VM look into it they will see the marginal transmit power on the modem by how high the power is when you reach VM.