PDA

View Full Version : VM router, how to restrict bandwidth?

jb5819
10-01-2009, 00:21
i use the vm free router i think its called netgear WGR614v6
but have a houseshare with some people one of who is constantly uploading/downlaoding and i want to restrict his bandwidth using router settings. Is this possible? I could not find anything about it in the manuel.

Thanks alot

Stabhappy
10-01-2009, 00:24
not with that router.

it's probably best to just have a word with him.

assuming you're all paying the internet bill you have a right to tell him he can't distrupt your service.

xpod
10-01-2009, 00:50
Tell him to do his downloading through the night,when your all asleep.Then nobody needs to lose out.Unless there are any nighthawks among you that is:)

:sleep:

Stabhappy
10-01-2009, 01:09
I'm in a student property with two friends - both of which are 'nighthawks' so we are really struggling to abuse our 20mb connection because of STM during day lol ;/

AbyssUnderground
10-01-2009, 23:05
but have a houseshare with some people one of who is constantly uploading/downlaoding and i want to restrict his bandwidth using router settings. Is this possible? I could not find anything about it in the manuel.

Thanks alot

The Linksys WRT54g router is capable of restricting bandwidth or using QoS to prioritise it to other computers if they need it. You will need the DD-WRT firmware (free) to do it but its well worth it, and having done it personally I wouldn't use anything less.

hokkers999
11-01-2009, 00:20

Thanks alot

Stick it in the bin and buy a router compatible with Tomato f/w

Rik
11-01-2009, 09:08
Both DD-WRT and Tomato firmware are brilliant.
I have a Linksys Open Source Router with Tomato firmware which has the best QOS and bandwidth tools ive ever seen for a router.

I highly recommend you lay of the partying and alcohol for a week ;) and purchase a Linksys WRT54GL 54Mbps Open Source Wireless Cable Router (£43.69 @ Overclockers)

Then flash the router with Tomato firmware http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Heres a preview of what to expect, this is the QOS config page

http://www.polarcloud.com/img/ssqosc108.png

xpod
11-01-2009, 10:12
I highly recommend you lay of the partying and alcohol for a week

There`s 2 chances of that happening in a students flat.....little & none.:)

jb5819
11-01-2009, 15:19
thanks for the advise guys.