PDA

View Full Version : Connection issues..

flackingell
06-01-2009, 11:45
I'm hoping some kind soul can help before I have to call the 1 pound/min helpline. For the last 3 nights, my browsers (firefox, opera and ie) cannot load pages. The thing is, it is still connected - as I can use mIRC, Sopcast and uTorrent without any problems.

I've been on the PS3 on each night and after I shut the console off (after around 10pm) I cannot browse (on the pc - or sign back into PSN). The following morning, everything's working perfectly and it still fine when I get home from work. I will leave the PS3 off tonight to see if that's what causing this, but it surely can't be, can it?

I've searched for similar problems, but haven't found anything that's applicable as my internet connection is wired, not wireless. I don't have zonealarm and haven't installed any software for ages. When the connection problems occured I rebooted everything in various sequences several times. Running WinXP SP2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Stabhappy
06-01-2009, 13:54
Disable your torrent application and try again. Also, post your power levels from the modem for both a working period and when it's playing up.

Cheers :)

flackingell
06-01-2009, 14:36
Thanks for the reply. I don't run torrents when using the PS3 online so utorrent was disabled anyway - hence I can't see that this would be the cause. Power levels from the modem? Not sure how I'd go about that? I just find the whole situation bizzare.

Is it possible for VM to restrict http access whilst allowing other connections? It's almost like it would be better if there was no connection full stop, at least then I'd know how to resolve it, this is just pants :/

Stabhappy
06-01-2009, 14:48
So with uTorrent disabled/not running, you still get the issue?

To get your power levels type 192.168.100.1 in your browser, log in using root / root. we need upstream power level, downstream, and downstream snr. frequencies is useful aswell.

flackingell
06-01-2009, 14:52
Nah, uTorrent is unaffected. I'm connected online as I can seed torrents, watch streaming tv via Sopcast and download via mIRC, however I cannot load any webpages or sign back into PSN. The best way I can describe it is that I've no http access, but I don't know enough about the protocols the above mentioned programmes use.

Will wait and see if this happens tonight again, will try the above and post back tomorrow. (unless there's any other suggestions in the meantime)

joglynne
06-01-2009, 14:57
Hi flackingell. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/20.gif to the forum.

I can't help you with your problem but I thought you might like to know that phoning the faults line at VM is now free of charge on 151.

flackingell
06-01-2009, 15:03
Thanks, I didn't realise they'd changed it, my one and only previous experience wasn't great and was quite costly, so I thought the forums might be a way forward. :)

joglynne
06-01-2009, 15:37
I have to say that the number of problems our members can help with is fantastic but if the time comes when you have to bite the bullet and phone VM at least you know you can do it for free. :D

If you don't get a solution this afternoon hang on as more members will be checking in this evening.

xocemp
06-01-2009, 16:01
BBI support was 25ppp the pchelp number was and still is £1.
As the OP has pointed out many other application will connect to the www. just not his browser(s) on port 80.
Maybe to test you could set a proxy: webcache.virginmedia.com 8080

I doubt this is a VirginMedia issue ;-)

zantarous
06-01-2009, 16:08
It does sound like you have a DNS issue if you type in the ip address of websites do you get to them, try putting 216.239.59.103 in your browser address bar, this is the ip addy for Google and see what happens?

joglynne
06-01-2009, 16:41
As the OP has pointed out many other application will connect to the www. just not his browser(s) on port 80.

I was thinking about the VM BB faults. Sorry if I have caused any confusion. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/01/31.gif

I completely forgot that VM have a chargeable PC help phone line, thank goodness I've never (touch wood) had a problem that couldn't be sorted by you guys or my son.

Joxer
06-01-2009, 23:38
Hmm, seen something similar a few times. I'm with xocemp on this, not likely to be a VM issue, most likely a router isse though what exactly is th problem I don't know.

I have had/heard of several people who can browse ok but as soon as they connect their games console the PC connection dies, reboot the router and it is back up. Never tested anything apart from http access so no idea if other protocols where affected.

Try rebooting the router next time it happens and see if that resolves it.

flackingell
07-01-2009, 15:47

Ah :(

Tried this, no luck.

Well, it's an issue and VM are the ISP...

It does sound like you have a DNS issue if you type in the ip address of websites do you get to them, try putting 216.239.59.103 in your browser address bar, this is the ip addy for Google and see what happens?

Could be a DNS issue, but tried the address for google above and it was the same, connection timed out.

Hmm, seen something similar a few times. I'm with xocemp on this, not likely to be a VM issue, most likely a router isse though what exactly is th problem I don't know.

I have had/heard of several people who can browse ok but as soon as they connect their games console the PC connection dies, reboot the router and it is back up. Never tested anything apart from http access so no idea if other protocols where affected.

Try rebooting the router next time it happens and see if that resolves it.

This was one of the first things I tried, but thanks for the reply anyway. :)

To get your power levels type 192.168.100.1 in your browser, log in using root / root. we need upstream power level, downstream, and downstream snr. frequencies is useful aswell.

Totally forgot about this, will try tonight.

Ok, so last night I was on the PS3 anyway (COD4 is just too addictive!) 'till about 9.30 - then I checked and was online no probs around 10pm - thought "Great, now it'll be fine after all that and I won't know what the hell caused it"

Well, at pretty much dead on 11pm it happened again - no connection to any websites, but still connected when checked with the above mentioned programmes. Instead of turning the PC off, I left it all night and in the morning (8am or so) - it's back to working perfectly. No settings were changed at all and this is why I'd guess it's VM issue rather than hardware/software on my part.

Actually, when I say no settings were changed, I did do a ipconfig/all /release /renew and rebooted - no luck with that and also reset the winsock and rebooted which also did nothing - after that I'd left it and this is where I find myself today.. :/

Once again, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Joxer
07-01-2009, 15:52
When the connection dies can you still access the modem config at 192.168.100.1 ?

flackingell
07-01-2009, 15:58
Totally forgot to try this, and ofc didn't have access to this forum at the time, will try tonight :)

Joxer
07-01-2009, 16:01
And if that fails, can you access the router config?

If that fails set up an HTTP server on your PC and see if you can access http://localhost. Hang on, I may be going over the top on that last one. :)

flackingell
07-01-2009, 17:06
So with uTorrent disabled/not running, you still get the issue?

Ok, it's working fine at the moment, so here's the stats;

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 3
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 9.5 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 31.4 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 42800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 43.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Also, here's the event log - can anyone make any sense from this?
Cable Modem Event Log
First Time Last Time Priority Description
Wed Jan 07 10:25:30 2009 Wed Jan 07 10:25:30 2009 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Wed Jan 07 09:41:52 2009 Wed Jan 07 09:41:52 2009 Warning (5) DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response
Wed Jan 07 02:20:22 2009 Wed Jan 07 02:20:22 2009 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) The s/w filename specified in the config file is the same as ...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) A software upgrade filename was specified in the config file.
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Authorized
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Registration complete!
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) We registered with a DOCSIS 1.0 config file!
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Received a REG-RSP message from the CMTS...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Sending a REG-REQ to the CMTS...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) CableModem SNMP configure complete
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) IP init completed ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) CableModem TFTP init ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Error (4) ToD request sent- No Response received
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) CableModem DHCP client init ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) MAP w/initial maintenance region received
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Downstream sync ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Beginning initial ranging...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) downstream time sync acquired...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Downstream sync ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) starting ds time sync acquisition...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Locked on the downstream. Waiting for UCDs...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Downstream lock ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Sync Start
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Tue Dec 16 04:40:36 2008 Tue Dec 16 04:40:36 2008 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Tue Dec 16 04:40:26 2008 Tue Dec 16 04:40:26 2008 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Fingers crossed :)

Stabhappy
07-01-2009, 17:27
you're right near the threshold for downstream SNR and downstream power, so check when it's inactive.

xocemp
07-01-2009, 18:02
It is an issue and VM are the ISP, though I'm still going with this is not the ISP that is causing the issue.
Tried with a direct connection to the modem?
Tried setting setting your own DNS servers such as openDNS, though I doubt that will help since you can't browse via IP, so I also don't see how you can have vaid IP no throughput since you can use other protocols.
Got a mate with a laptop you can try?

If it were SNR/TXLoad/FEC you'd could still have what would seem to be a normal connection, though your connection in game would suffer so you'd notice, you would also time/Pingtimeout on IRC and your connection to torrent trackers would also drop though you may still keep a connection to a few of the swarm.

From how you say it happens in a time period its almost as if you have a parental control set.
Does it do it at the same time everyday?