PDA

View Full Version : White Telewst Broadband Cable Box Problem

apb27
30-12-2008, 23:40
I have 3 telewest junction boxes installed in different rooms in the house.
2 of these are working fine, connecting a modem to them brings on all the lights and i get 20mbs coming through just fine.

One of the boxes doesnt seem to work. When the modem is connected, the only lights that come on are power and send. The recieve light isnt working, i dont think there is any internet coming through there.

How can i check everything is plugged in and the wires are OK?

Joxer
30-12-2008, 23:51
Erm, which modem, I'm guessing a dpx 100 or 110, what other lights are there? If I am right I would say no upstream lock is the issue, which would require a tech, though one on an unofficially installed box may create a charge as the is a fairly hefty charge to have a new box installed if it just to move the modem. On the plus side it looks like there is a signal there, just not a very good one.

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

Could you get the friend who installed it to check it for you?

apb27
30-12-2008, 23:58
Erm, which modem, I'm guessing a dpx 100 or 110, what other lights are there? If I am right I would say no upstream lock is the issue, which would require a tech, though one on an unofficially installed box may create a charge as the is a fairly hefty charge to have a new box installed if it just to move the modem. On the plus side it looks like there is a signal there, just not a very good one.

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

Could you get the friend who installed it to check it for you?

The modem is our original Motorola Surfboard SB3100 cable modem.

At one time, each of the 3 boxes had an active internet line coming in, 2 out of 3 work now. Its that one (conveniently which i want to move to) that doesnt indiciate a recieve light, activity or online - just power and send.

The friend who installed it moved to Australia a year ago. I could test his friendship though... :p:

MovedGoalPosts
31-12-2008, 00:07
You could look at all the cabling connections in each box, and also on the front of the house to check they are secure. It's clearly a wiring issue and the only way to resolve that is get someone who knows how to make good connections to trace the fault. As you've lost your "friend", that might mean an expensive call.

Whilst not lying, you might perhaps limit how much you say though and just claim it's stopped working :erm:

apb27
31-12-2008, 00:12
You could look at all the cabling connections in each box, and also on the front of the house to check they are secure. It's clearly a wiring issue and the only way to resolve that is get someone who knows how to make good connections to trace the fault. As you've lost your "friend", that might mean an expensive call.

Whilst not lying, you might perhaps limit how much you say though and just claim it's stopped working :erm:

I gave vm a call, their customer service isnt really 5 star. I guess i never actually had to ring them properly, as the service has been great with me getting my 20mb speeds almost all the time.

Anyways the guy said its going to cost £75 for an engineer to come out and check it. Now if it does turn out to be a loose wire he pops back into place, i would be pretty ****ed handing over £75.

Another question:
Because i have 3 boxes installed, does that mean i could have 3 modems? And would the speed be split over those 3, e.g 20mbs by 3.

homealone
31-12-2008, 00:21
I gave vm a call, their customer service isnt really 5 star. I guess i never actually had to ring them properly, as the service has been great with me getting my 20mb speeds almost all the time.

Anyways the guy said its going to cost £75 for an engineer to come out and check it. Now if it does turn out to be a loose wire he pops back into place, i would be pretty ****ed handing over £75.

Another question:
Because i have 3 boxes installed, does that mean i could have 3 modems? And would the speed be split over those 3, e.g 20mbs by 3.

the most likely scenario is that you have one connection split into three - if you had 3 separate connections you would, presumably, be paying for 3 accounts....

apb27
31-12-2008, 00:25
the most likely scenario is that you have one connection split into three - if you had 3 separate connections you would, presumably, be paying for 3 accounts....

just have 3 junction boxes in different rooms. one of them isnt working, just want to know how to fix it without calling an engineer.

Joxer
31-12-2008, 00:28
An SB3100 doing 20mb is unusual. More unusual is only the power and send lights on. Nothing flashing?

Normal boot sequence:
power on, recieve flashing
power on, recieve on, send flashing
power on, recieve on, send on, online flashing
power on, recieve on, send on, online on

It should never get to send on without receive on, and if it is on (not flashing) online should be on or flashing.

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

Oh and the three modem question, no and no.

homealone
31-12-2008, 00:29
just have 3 junction boxes in different rooms. one of them isnt working, just want to know how to fix it without calling an engineer.

use one of the working ones & connect that to a router to service any other locations ???

Joxer
31-12-2008, 00:30
Or use a longer Ethernet cable, come to think of it ethernet ports all round the house instead of coax would have been more useful.

apb27
31-12-2008, 00:33
An SB3100 doing 20mb is unusual. More unusual is only the power and send lights on. Nothing flashing?

Normal boot sequence:
power on, recieve flashing
power on, recieve on, send flashing
power on, recieve on, send on, online flashing
power on, recieve on, send on, online on

It should never get to send on without receive on, and if it is on (not flashing) online should be on or flashing.

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

Oh and the three modem question, no and no.

Its the sb4101 i think, just looked similar.

so when i plug the coax from the junction box into the modem, the only lights that come on are power and recieve, the first two. Waiting 10-15mins the others dont even come on..

http://www.simplehelp.net/images/cable_modems/motorola_sb4101.gif

what problem does it mean when the send, online and activity lights arent on then?

Joxer
31-12-2008, 00:41
So the recieve light is flashing? That indicates no downstream lock so either downstream power or SNR issues you could check on the signal page by pointing a browser at 192.168.100.1.

4101? so it's either a 4100 a 4200 or a 5101 The number is written on the modem.

The Installer
31-12-2008, 18:21
so when i plug the coax from the junction box into the modem, the only lights that come on are power and recieve, what problem does it mean when the send, online and activity lights arent on then?

Your problem is you don't have any signal going to the white isolator box you are trying to use. Chances are it will have been disconnected in the brown box on the front of your house where your main cable comes up to. If you have had a tech out at some point for a service call or to do an install for you and you didn't have anything connected to the point you are now trying to use, they will have disconnected it outside in the brown box.

The other possible problem if its not been disconnected is the cable has been cut or damaged outside. Make a visual inspection of the cable from where it enters your house to go to the point inside all the way round to the brown box. If the cable is damaged or cut then you have found your fault and VM will charge you to fix this.

If you no longer wish to use the point where your modem is at the moment (the working one) and you don't have any set top box connected to this point then just open the brown box outside, trace the relevent cables (just walk around the house and look :D) and swap the cables over on the splitter which will be inside the brown box or get someone to do it for you if you don't feel up to the job.

apb27
31-12-2008, 19:25
Your problem is you don't have any signal going to the white isolator box you are trying to use. Chances are it will have been disconnected in the brown box on the front of your house where your main cable comes up to. If you have had a tech out at some point for a service call or to do an install for you and you didn't have anything connected to the point you are now trying to use, they will have disconnected it outside in the brown box.

The other possible problem if its not been disconnected is the cable has been cut or damaged outside. Make a visual inspection of the cable from where it enters your house to go to the point inside all the way round to the brown box. If the cable is damaged or cut then you have found your fault and VM will charge you to fix this.

If you no longer wish to use the point where your modem is at the moment (the working one) and you don't have any set top box connected to this point then just open the brown box outside, trace the relevent cables (just walk around the house and look :D) and swap the cables over on the splitter which will be inside the brown box or get someone to do it for you if you don't feel up to the job.

Aah, i have seen that brown box. Its pitch black so i'll have a look at it tommorow morning. Thanks for the help.