PDA

View Full Version : vrgnMdia Default Gateway???

hastro15
29-12-2008, 15:12
My setup was working on Christmas day but I visited my nan's and came back the other day to find nothing working.

My problem is such that, when I connect through:
(ntl set top box --> Linksys router-->ethernet to pc)= "Connected at 100.0mbps" but cannot view webpages or generally use the internet/devices on router.

(ntl set top box -->ethernet to pc)= "Connected at 10.0 mbps" HOWEVER I can access most functions of the internet (as I am doing now)

The main problem is that I cant use the internet on my other devices through the router (ie xbox 360 and ps3) and I still cant even use them when I connect them directly to the set top box.

I am not 100% sure but I think that the default gateway is the problem because when attempting to access msn instant msngr, i get an error msg and when I troubleshoot it says the ip is fine BUT the default gateway is offline. How can I fix the default gateway anyway???

I don't think the router is the problem, as a direct connection doesn't give me full functionality anyway.

*note - restarts do not work, tried many times and it has been like this for about 2 days. Everything is connected correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.:)

Stuart
29-12-2008, 15:18
:welcome: to the forum.

When was the router installed? Was it working before?

moaningmags
29-12-2008, 15:18
Sounds like an msn issue, I have 5 laptops and 3 desktops all with msn. Routinely one of the kids will say they can't sign into msn yet the rest of us are signed in.

You can't browse but can you ping?
Start > Run > type cmd press enter
In the black window type
ping 212.58.224.138 press enter
you're looking for packets sent, recieved and lost
ping bbc.co.uk press enter
you're looking for packets sent, recieved and lost or any error message.
This is a good place to start trying to identify the issue.

hastro15
29-12-2008, 15:50
Ok, Yes it was working before and has been for about a year.

4 packets sent, 4 received

When it says connected at 100.0mbps (connected through router) I can't use anything, could it be an msn issue making everything stop??

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:26 ----------

Oh sorry lol, should I try and ping when connected through router or connected directly like now? ^^ above were my results for now. I will edit post with results for router connection.

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

Okay, well when connected through router at 100.0mbps NONE of the packets were received and timed out a few times, and when i tried to ping bbc.co.uk, it said that it could not find host.

moaningmags
29-12-2008, 15:52
Looks like an issue with your router.
After connecting the router did you reboot the set top box?

hastro15
29-12-2008, 16:17
Yes I reset the set top box after making any changes.
I don't know but I'm not convinced that the router is the problem because I only get 10.0mbps direct from the set top box, and I can't play any consoles directly from it.
Oh and my xbox 360 troubleshooter just tells me that it can't register with the dns server.

And why on earth is it telling me that its conneted at 100 but I can't do ANYTHING?
Lol should I just give up and brace myself for a phonecall to virgin?

moaningmags
29-12-2008, 16:19
Think it's time to brace yourself for the phonecall, could be the set top box is starting to fail. If this is the case I highly recommend getting a stand alone cable modem.

Stabhappy
29-12-2008, 16:20
It's telling you 100mb/s because you're connected to one of the router's 100mbps ports. It has nothing to do with connectivity. The router isnt recieving a signal from the modem inside the STB, so you need to reboot it and hope for the best.

hastro15
29-12-2008, 16:39
Thanks for the help guys. I'll call them soon and hopefully it can be fixed.

hastro15
29-12-2008, 20:18
Right, that didn't work. All he did was everything that I have already done... What a waste of time. He couldnt even identify the problem.

moaningmags
29-12-2008, 20:31
Did he call 2nd line?
If he didn't call back and ask that they do.

countbathory
29-12-2008, 20:59
The main problem is that I cant use the internet on my other devices through the router (ie xbox 360 and ps3) and I still cant even use them when I connect them directly to the set top box..:)

This may or may not help but i had similar problem with my set up, my pc would work fine but my ps3 an psp and xbox360 all refused to connect. I use a netgear WPN824, my pc, ps3 and xbox are all wired but i always get this dns error an the consoles wont connect. I found that if i put the dns servers ips into my router manually instead of letting it get them from the isp everything connected. I actually thought my router was faulty an purchased another one only to find it was exactly the same.

I dont know why this should make a difference but it does, if anyone else knows id be interested in knowing.

Might be worth a try .

hastro15
30-12-2008, 18:20
Thanks for all the help guys. I fixed the problem myself by playing around and somehow getting the ntl provisional login page to come up, clearing all the assigned pc's and creating a new pc account with the router connected.
I still don't understand what was wrong but oh well, back to cod4 for me :p