PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent connection

caerphoto
25-12-2008, 21:33
Hello! Starting around Sunday 21st, I've been getting a very problematic connection. I did a ping -t google.com and left it for a bit. After 124 pings it reported 18% packet loss, and looking through the output it seems to happen at random. Tracert shows the same thing - random dropping of packets.

On top of this I am getting very slow download speeds - I've seen nothing higher than 30K/s since the problems started, and web pages often fail to load completely.

I gather from the other threads in this forum that I'm not alone in having connection difficulties, and indeed VM's support page shows they're aware of the problem. Thing is, that was last updated on the 19th! Ok, the relevant staff could be off for Christmas, but still. Someone also mentioned the problems might not get fixed until the new year, too. :td:

Another thing I'm a little concerned about is my modem. It's a Motorla Surfboard that we've had for years. I had a look in the thread about power levels, and wondered if these results the modem's web interface is showing are something to be worried about:
SNR: 30dB
Power level: -9 dBmV (47 dBmV upstream)

One other thing is that in the log, all entries before 081223184543 have ***** as their timestamp. Is that normal? The entry before that one says "CM Cert Upgrade Enabled. Initiate via SNMP", and the one after says "Retrieved Time....... SUCCESS".

I am in Liverpool, in the L9 area, formerly a Telewest customer.

whydoIneedatech
25-12-2008, 22:28
Hello! Starting around Sunday 21st, I've been getting a very problematic connection. I did a ping -t google.com and left it for a bit. After 124 pings it reported 18% packet loss, and looking through the output it seems to happen at random. Tracert shows the same thing - random dropping of packets.

On top of this I am getting very slow download speeds - I've seen nothing higher than 30K/s since the problems started, and web pages often fail to load completely.

I gather from the other threads in this forum that I'm not alone in having connection difficulties, and indeed VM's support page shows they're aware of the problem. Thing is, that was last updated on the 19th! Ok, the relevant staff could be off for Christmas, but still. Someone also mentioned the problems might not get fixed until the new year, too. :td:

Another thing I'm a little concerned about is my modem. It's a Motorla Surfboard that we've had for years. I had a look in the thread about power levels, and wondered if these results the modem's web interface is showing are something to be worried about:
SNR: 30dB
Power level: -9 dBmV (47 dBmV upstream)

One other thing is that in the log, all entries before 081223184543 have ***** as their timestamp. Is that normal? The entry before that one says "CM Cert Upgrade Enabled. Initiate via SNMP", and the one after says "Retrieved Time....... SUCCESS".

I am in Liverpool, in the L9 area, formerly a Telewest customer.
What model is the Motorola modem and what speed are you supposed to be on.

caerphoto
25-12-2008, 22:37
It's an SB4100, and although I'm not sure (I'm not the bill payer, and wasn't involved in setting it all up) I think we're on the 10Mb speed, based on getting ~450K/s download speeds before the problems started.

whydoIneedatech
25-12-2008, 22:47
Well I would wait till Saturday and call Tech Support on the link below and they will check your connection for you and run some tests or you can try the the Newsgroups link below for help.

Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

-----------------------------------------------------

You could try posting on the Newsgroups link below shows you how to do it with Outlook Express.

---------------------------------------------------
Tech Support via Newsgroups.

virginmedia.support.broadband.cable is the one that you want to use and here is the set up linkCLICK HERE (http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up-outlook-express-exntl.php)

SHOULD WORK NOW

caerphoto
25-12-2008, 23:11
Thanks, I will try phoning them. Also, your link is broken :)

whydoIneedatech
26-12-2008, 00:12
Thanks, I will try phoning them. Also, your link is broken :)
Try it now.