PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Router

mcc28
22-12-2008, 15:47
Hi,

Just want to check the procedure for installing a replacement router with a Samsung STB.

Do I simply unplug the existing router WGR614v1, install the new one WGR614v9 navigate to 192.168.1.1 input the default passwords and then input my Virginmedia account name and configure the wireless settings for security?

After this do I power down the STB/router allow the STB to reboot and then the router?

cheers

Mark

BenMcr
22-12-2008, 15:56
Power down the STB and router,
swap the routers over,
Power up the STB
wait for the online light to be solid
Power up the router

And have your PID and Password handy as you will probably need to register the router to the STB

All the above is best done on wired connection

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

The follow the router set up instructions for wireless and security

whydoIneedatech
22-12-2008, 22:51
Hi,

Just want to check the procedure for installing a replacement router with a Samsung STB.

Do I simply unplug the existing router WGR614v1, install the new one WGR614v9 navigate to 192.168.1.1 input the default passwords and then input my Virginmedia account name and configure the wireless settings for security?

After this do I power down the STB/router allow the STB to reboot and then the router?

cheers

Mark
You would be better calling up Customer Services and asking for an upgrade to a Stand Alone Cable Modem as with your present Samsung box you can only receive 6Mb but with a SACM you can upgrade if you wanted to 20Mb, plus you would get a better connection.

Also you will no longer require a PID or a Password.

The should be quite happy to upgrade you as the company would prefer all customers to swap to SACM.

Call Customer Care not Faults because they would have to transfer you as they cannot change your account.

Customer Care - 150 (Options 1 then 3)

LaineY
23-12-2008, 10:29
yeah the STB Internet connections are years old ... last i had heard we were trying to do away with them about a year and a half ago.

you would be better of with a cable modem without a doubt.

mcc28
23-12-2008, 19:40
Thanks everyone, I've now ordered a modem with an engineer install in early January...

LaineY
24-12-2008, 09:12
no problems mate good to see its on the road to repair

you will probably notice a slight difference.. not to mension a speed increase also

having net through the STB's limited Broadband Speed

mcc28
27-12-2008, 15:15
Hi,

I've just had a go at installing the netgear WGR614v9 router and when I got to the registration page I discovered that the PID and password I had written down were wrong.

I called tech support and they told me that WGR614v9 will not work with STB, I will have to wait until January when the engineer comes to install the modem.

I just wondered if anyone knew if this was true?

LaineY
27-12-2008, 15:26
aslong as the STB has an ethernet port and its broadband enabled.. then yes it would technically work.. although its not supported by Virgin Media Tech Support..

best thing to do bud is wait on that modem.. or if it still works.. try a ethernet cable directly from the back of the set top box.. to the pc.. and reboot the box for the mean time..

if that doesnt work.. its advised to wait on that modem

MovedGoalPosts
27-12-2008, 16:07
You may be able to get it working by cloning the mac address of the existing computer that is direct wired to the STB into the netgear router.

Unlike the stand alone cable modem (SACM) the STB registers each connected device against a Virgin Media Server, which is why you need the PID stuff. The SACM doesn't worry about that since it's the SACM that is registered with the VM servers. Both the SACM and STB must be rebooted (powered off) when the connected device is changed.

mcc28
27-12-2008, 16:09
You may be able to get it working by cloning the mac address of the existing computer that is direct wired to the STB into the netgear router.

Unlike the stand alone cable modem (SACM) the STB registers each connected device against a Virgin Media Server, which is why you need the PID stuff. The SACM doesn't worry about that since it's the SACM that is registered with the VM servers. Both the SACM and STB must be rebooted (powered off) when the connected device is changed.

So if I took the MAC address of the old router (which was/is registered) and made the new router use that MAC address, no registration with the PID etc is needed????

MovedGoalPosts
27-12-2008, 16:36
In theory, yes.

Ultimately one of the reasons I moved from the STB based broadband was the number if issues I was having with the registration servers kept kicking / dropping me. In the long term you will be better off with the SACM, but as a short term fix cloning whatever registered device mac code you have, might work.