PDA

View Full Version : how do i connect my dvd recorder

vwgolf
18-12-2008, 16:25
Hello

I am having trouble connecting my dvd recorder to my cable box and tv could any on tell me the correct way of doing this please

My dvd recorder is a LG DR289H (WITH 2 SCART SOCKETS)

My virgin cable box is a SAMSUNG SET TOP BOX SMT2110C (WITH 2 SCART SOCKETS)

MY TV IS A WHARFDALE CRT TV WITH 1 SCART SOCKET (IF NEEDED I COULD FIND MODEL NUMBER)

Is it possible to connect them using scart cables. Hope you can help me I am a bit simple when it comes to connecting things up!!!

thanks

dalboy
18-12-2008, 16:54
DVD recorder plugged into your cable box via SCART should do the job. Then cable box to TV via SCART.

Should auto switch to the recorder when its on.

nodrogd
20-12-2008, 18:50
I have the "TV Scart" of the cable box to the AV2 of the DVD and then the AV1 of the DVD to the TV. The DVD is then set to record the RGB output from the cable box (better quality than the VCR scart which only provides composite video).

MojoUK
21-12-2008, 01:38
How about with HDMI from V+ to tv? I'm due to be getting a DVD HDD recorder for xmas, so would my current set up - HDMI to tv - be better left as it is, & then connect scart between V+ out to dvd in, then another scart from dvd out to tv? Also, would it be necessary to connect L-R phono between dvd & tv? Btw, unfortunately I only have 1 HDMI in on tv. :erm:

nodrogd
21-12-2008, 12:01
How about with HDMI from V+ to tv? I'm due to be getting a DVD HDD recorder for xmas, so would my current set up - HDMI to tv - be better left as it is, & then connect scart between V+ out to dvd in, then another scart from dvd out to tv? Also, would it be necessary to connect L-R phono between dvd & tv? Btw, unfortunately I only have 1 HDMI in on tv. :erm:

This should be OK, but from reading other posts on the subject, when you switch the V+ to HDMI output you can only record from the VCR scart in composite video, as the TV (RGB) scart is disabled. DVD HDD recorders are RGB capable can reproduce a near broadcast quality playback at high bitrate. The phono connections will not be necessary.

MojoUK
21-12-2008, 14:12
NP, cheers mate. :)

vwgolf
21-12-2008, 16:59
DVD recorder plugged into your cable box via SCART should do the job. Then cable box to TV via SCART.

Should auto switch to the recorder when its on.

thanks this works fine my dvd recorder is up and running fine now cheers for the help

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

I have the "TV Scart" of the cable box to the AV2 of the DVD and then the AV1 of the DVD to the TV. The DVD is then set to record the RGB output from the cable box (better quality than the VCR scart which only provides composite video).

i will give this way of conecting a go and see what the differance cheers for the advice

John Millbrook
22-12-2008, 11:19
I have my DVD recorder set up and recording fine, but my question is this:

How do I tell my Samsung V box to switch itself on at a specific time, and to a specific channel? I cannot see anything in "settings" to allow me to do this, and I thought this would be a fairly standard function.

Currently, I am setting the DVD recorder to record from scart, and then leaving the V box on the channel I want while I go out. Not ideal, as someone else in the family may want to watch TV, and then leave the V box on a different channel, or switch it off. :(

I rang Virgin technical support about this, but after being put on hold several times (because the woman on the other end seemed not to have a clue what I wanted, and was in no way technical), I hung up.

_JM

vwgolf
22-12-2008, 12:39
What I do to get my v box to record a certain TV channel at a pre determined time is
• 1 on the remote control press the left or right arrow keys located left and right of the ok- select button
• 2 the TV guide for the channel you are watching should appear on screen
• 3 then scroll down to the program you want to record using the up and down arrow keys located above and below the ok-select button
• 4 then when your selected program is highlighted press ok-select key
• 5 a prompt should appear on screen saying ‘set reminder’
• 6 then select change channel at start using left and right arrow keys located left and right of the ok select button
• 7 then press ok select button
• 8 a message should then appear on screen saying ‘auto change has been set’
• 9 now press ok- select button
• 10 then press the TV button which is blue on my remote ( located on the remote between the text and I button)on the remote to clear the TV guide off the screen

I hope this helps it works for me but I would advise you do a few test runs to make sure you have done it properly and to avoid disappointment if it did not work

I always leave my v box on and never put it on standby there fore I do not know if this process will work if you put it on stand by any probs let me know

John Millbrook
22-12-2008, 15:05
@vwgolf: I sometimes use the method you suggested to auto switch channels when I am watching, and I think that I tried it once assuming it would also switch the V box on from standby mode. Unless I did something wrong at the time, I do not think this method works but I will try again tonight just to make sure.

I don't really like leaving the V box permanently on, but surprisingly this may be the only way.

BTW - Thanks for the PM prompt.

_JM

nodrogd
22-12-2008, 18:46
@vwgolf: I sometimes use the method you suggested to auto switch channels when I am watching, and I think that I tried it once assuming it would also switch the V box on from standby mode. Unless I did something wrong at the time, I do not think this method works but I will try again tonight just to make sure.

I don't really like leaving the V box permanently on, but surprisingly this may be the only way.

BTW - Thanks for the PM prompt.

_JM

You're right, it doesn't work with the box in standby. This is the one gripe I have about the last software upgrade which removed this facility. The old NTL software allowed you to do this.

John Millbrook
22-12-2008, 21:40
You're right, it doesn't work with the box in standby. This is the one gripe I have about the last software upgrade which removed this facility. The old NTL software allowed you to do this.

Thanks for confirming, seems odd that this would be removed however :(

chickendippers
22-12-2008, 23:14
I seem to remember that the difference in power consumption between standby and powered modes is negligible. However this may be different for the new Sammys I'm not sure.