PDA

View Full Version : Modem Installation last month

th'engineer
16-12-2008, 08:14
Its nice to see we have all the same level of service from Virgin technicians that you would expect from Nynex , cable and wireless, and NTL.

Appointment was on a Friday after 1pm so that i could hopefully stop him from making a balls of it . I did not finish work until 12.00am .

Anyway latest clown:monkey: turned up at 10.30 am to install the modem, ( no th'engineer at home still at work) The missus told him that it was inconvienient and his appointment was 1.00pm . Anyway he turned on this irish charm and she agreed to having it installed.

First of all he drilled hole in wrong place so we now have white connection box in middle of room not in corner as was pointed out to him and marked with drill here note from me .

He fittted it missus said wrong place for the box said we had to phone customer services to get it changed

The next thing he did was to disconnect may router without my permission unplugging it so it would give me plenty of work to get it up and running instead of just plugging cat 5 into router .

He also did not register mac of modem so nice call to customer services to get that sorted

anyway after about a hour all up and running still annoyed about cable in wrong place.

If any of my old friends are about at Customer services can they get this monkey :monkey:retrained.

One seriously annoyed th'engineer :mad::mad::mad:

MovedGoalPosts
16-12-2008, 09:44
And when you refer to people in such derogatory tones, are you really surprised when you don't get the exemplary service you'd hoped for :(

th'engineer
16-12-2008, 16:10
Only being honest about it,:)

A few weeks later we had another install carried out perfect for another family member.:confused:

But the installer Listened to the customer requirements .

To be honest proberley know a lot more about the system than the install techs, but some need to understand customer requirements and not drill for box in middle of a bay window which looks unsitely.

How would your missus feel with a white box right in centre of room as a feature :mad::mad::mad:

I have been a customer since nynex so do know a few things about how equipment should be installed:angel:

Welshchris
16-12-2008, 20:26
theoretically the installation people are not insured to connect their own modems to the customers PC's or even install the virgin media software on the customers PC incase of loss of data which they can then be sued for. This is to be left to the customer.

I was told this by a member of staff working at the Virgin Media's chief executives office.

th'engineer
16-12-2008, 20:30
are they not supposed to inform customer how to set it up and register mac address of the modem if they are this one did not

Welshchris
16-12-2008, 20:50
u dont need to do that, u basically connect the modem, click on IE and away to go, fill in signup process and all the mac regitering is done automatically.

th'engineer
17-12-2008, 13:47
but it will not work unless the modem mac is registered on the system

Also sign up process failed 5 times only after a call to customer service found out MAC was not registered

What annoys me really is the total disregard of the customers instructions for the installation

I thought Virgin Media was supposed to be customer focused

All i hope is that someone reads this post from virgin media and takes my comments on board

I had been well happy with the service had not even been on here for ages

it just takes one badly trained installer to upset a customer of many many years

It winds me up every time i see the box right in the middle of the bay window

So looks like th'eng is back

whydoIneedatech
17-12-2008, 16:06
theoretically the installation people are not insured to connect their own modems to the customers PC's or even install the virgin media software on the customers PC incase of loss of data which they can then be sued for. This is to be left to the customer.

I was told this by a member of staff working at the Virgin Media's chief executives office.
That is actually true, they are uninsured to use your equipment.

th'engineer
17-12-2008, 16:24
so can i complain that he not only disconnected my router but un plugged it causing the home network to switch off we could have been backing up data at the time between PCs

Hence argument that they are not allowed to touch customers installation is blown right out of the water

Jonnymeg
17-12-2008, 19:42

Then you have been misinformed or this was ages ago.

That is actually true, they are uninsured to use your equipment.

It is untrue.

Techs are now instructed to connect modems to customers computers to prove the connection before leaving.
They HAVE to connect to a computer, through a router or direct, and ensure that the registration screens are available to the customer. They also have to go to a tech screen and type in their tech number to ensure that Virgin are aware that they have gone this far and connected it up correctly.

You can check this out for your self by going to www.virginmedia.com/engineer

It is the techs responsability to ensure the modem is connected to the customers kit prior to leaving. But they do not follow the registration process, this is for the customer to do.
Mac addresses have to be registered with VM by the tech before the reg screens are available.

So in short we leave it connected with the reg screens displayed.

beeman
17-12-2008, 22:08
The techs would bee fully insured to connect equipment to your computer etc. public liability insurance (for working offsite in custmers propety) its pretty much the same no matter what industry your in. Im a carpet fitter and have a £5,000,000 policy for flooring that WOULD allow me to work as a freelance cable installer or computer engineer (the policy documents list the various industrys the policy covers and a standard policy covers most industrys, infact the only expressed exclusions on my policy are gas work and use of exessive heat (ie welding, soldering etc)).

Welshchris
18-12-2008, 03:01
Then you have been misinformed or this was ages ago.

It is untrue.

Techs are now instructed to connect modems to customers computers to prove the connection before leaving.
They HAVE to connect to a computer, through a router or direct, and ensure that the registration screens are available to the customer. They also have to go to a tech screen and type in their tech number to ensure that Virgin are aware that they have gone this far and connected it up correctly.

You can check this out for your self by going to www.virginmedia.com/engineer

It is the techs responsability to ensure the modem is connected to the customers kit prior to leaving. But they do not follow the registration process, this is for the customer to do.
Mac addresses have to be registered with VM by the tech before the reg screens are available.

So in short we leave it connected with the reg screens displayed.

they did neither for me, and mine was installed the end of November, they did all the wiring and he told me that i had to try the connection also because he couldnt connect to my pc because he wasnt allowd 2.

th'engineer
18-12-2008, 16:15
This sounds like bad training or information flow wonder where it says in the training manual

1 ignore customer ( drill hole where you want)
2 make feature of virgin box in middle of bay window
3 unplug and disconnect all five wires from router
4 do not register mac address

Jonnymeg
18-12-2008, 16:42
This sounds like bad training or information flow wonder where it says in the training manual

1 ignore customer ( drill hole where you want)
2 make feature of virgin box in middle of bay window
3 unplug and disconnect all five wires from router
4 do not register mac address

I think we get the point now!

th'engineer
18-12-2008, 16:52
good its nice to see that people now understand

So we are all agreed that a clown, impersonating an installer mine making feature of white virgin box in the middle of the bay window when the pc is at side of room did not follow any guidelines.

So how do i get it fixed as its working it will cost me if tech comes out

Do i just go on winging or anyone and ideas

Russ Knows i can winge for the world;) being on cable forum many years

Jonnymeg
18-12-2008, 18:38

So we are all agreed that a clown, impersonating an installer mine making feature of white virgin box in the middle of the bay window when the pc is at side of room did not follow any guidelines.

The problem you have is that even if it does get moved you will be left with a mess where the box is now.
Also there may have been a reason why the guy did no drill in the desired place. Is there any electric points, gas or other obstructions that could effect his work?
I will not drill anywhere near such things as it will be charged to the tech for any damage caused. Also did you leave plenty of room for him to drill there both inside and out. We often go to houses that have stuff everywhere that makes it nearly impossible to work without move tons of stuff. Not surprisingly i often refuse to do the moving.....its not our job to do that!

There must be a reason why he did this.....

on in an hour!
18-12-2008, 18:56

make an official complaint,this then has to be dealt with by contractor team/site manager.i am in daily contact with the in-house area field manager for your area,(i sit opposite him!!) make it official and i will alert the manager (if you PM your address) when the complaint lands in to get a successful solution. ;)

th'engineer
18-12-2008, 19:52
Also there may have been a reason why the guy did no drill in the desired place. Is there any electric points, gas or other obstructions that could effect his work?

in middle of bay window nothing either side nothing no gas pipe wire or owt else

Also did you leave plenty of room for him to drill there both inside and out. .....
A four feet cupboard was moved to allow him access the night before with a sticky paper saying drill here thats four foot from desk no hazards

There must be a reason why he did this.....

It was on POETS day so he was lazy trying to go early

Nedkelly
18-12-2008, 22:44
It was the easy option for Him .Make a complaint asap :)

virgin_tech
19-12-2008, 17:13
th'engineer,
if you live in the midlands ill come and move it for you, for free :) well a bacon n egg sarnie anyway.

reading al the post i think the main issue you got is the iso box, but yeah some installers are jokes, but that leads onto my post lol

calling the installers 'technicians' is bad on techs, they are not and cant even wire a plug

whydoIneedatech
19-12-2008, 19:31
th'engineer,
if you live in the midlands ill come and move it for you, for free :) well a bacon n egg sarnie anyway.

reading al the post i think the main issue you got is the iso box, but yeah some installers are jokes, but that leads onto my post lol

calling the installers 'technicians' is bad on techs, they are not and cant even wire a plug
He lives in Middleton, Greater Manchester its under his Avatar:D

JayJay
23-12-2008, 19:18

Oi, Im watching you buddy ;):D

You would be shocked at what we can do lol