PDA

View Full Version : Inside aerial for freeview?

aliferste
10-12-2008, 20:39
Hiya,

Was wondering about getting a wee freeview box for a spare telly - only problem is I do not have an aerial on the roof. Any ideas if I would be able to get away with one of those inside aerials?

Dai
10-12-2008, 21:13
I would say it depends on the signal strength in your area. I'm on a hilltop with a fairly strong signal and I have a couple of bedroom TVs running off indoor aerials at about 50% signal strength. That works OK most of the time.

YMMV of course..

Delta Whiskey
11-12-2008, 09:30
This is the one I use, it gives a 87% signal strength sitting on the windowsill at a 90% angle to the transmitter.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46229

Chris
11-12-2008, 10:29
Hiya,

Was wondering about getting a wee freeview box for a spare telly - only problem is I do not have an aerial on the roof. Any ideas if I would be able to get away with one of those inside aerials?

Put your postcode in here and it will tell you the signal strengths coming off your local transmitter and the kind of aerial you need.

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?DX=L&OS

TBH I doubt an indoor aerial will work in your location, you should be receiving from Black Hill, which is a main transmitter but its transmission power on digital is relatively modest. It might be possible after switchover when DTV signal strengths will be increased.

Itshim
11-12-2008, 14:09
Put your postcode in here and it will tell you the signal strengths coming off your local transmitter and the kind of aerial you need.

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?DX=L&OS

TBH I doubt an indoor aerial will work in your location, you should be receiving from Black Hill, which is a main transmitter but it's transmission power on digital is relatively modest. It might be possible after switchover when DTV signal strengths will be increased.

Get a One For All Indoor Amplified Freeview/DAB Aerial from Argos.

open carefully if it dont work take it back!!

I have two of them one sitting on a "beer Cooler" & the other on the TV.
One being upstairs ( about 15 foot from the window ) the other downstairs in the kitchen but close to a window. That one has a splitter on the cable with "feeds" my main TV (that also has Virgin+ on that one) & a Wii plugged in.

Not sure about signal strength here. Was told years ago, That if I got a snowy signal for channel 4 ( being in Wales we only got S4C in those days) from my roof top. Then a boosted in-door would work. Its that one ( yes one is that old) That picks up Free view upstairs.

Give it ago the worst that could happen is a second trip to Argos. Ok perhaps its not worth it!!! :erm:

papa smurf
12-12-2008, 12:28
i bought a powered indoor ariel for my bedroom , waste of money only picks up a couple of channels on the free view box , gona put ariel in the loft . not indoor type a real roof type .

lauzjp
12-12-2008, 15:16
we've got an alledgedly amplified aerial, but it's quite rubbish... it's a miracle we're getting sky sports news and dave at the moment! we're going to upgrade to a one for all one at about £20, having read that it has twice the strength of the one we currently have.

CrowmanUK
13-12-2008, 12:40
If you can run a cable to the loft an outdoor digital aerial works fine, just look at the other houses to see where theyre pointing, worked a treat for me.

MikeyB
13-12-2008, 21:46
As others have said it completely depends on how strong the signal is where you live.

Where I live can't get a watchable analogue signal using an indoor aerial, and absolutely no freeview signal.