PDA

View Full Version : Installation Saga!

s1rus
02-12-2008, 11:05
Hi all, my first post but needed to rant to someone about the saga I am having with VM!

Ordered my VM package mid November as I am sick and tired of the poor ADSL connection I am getting with SKY. Decided to go with the £86 VIP package as it kind of works out about the same price but with Setanta and 20mb BB.

The order went through lovely and they gave me an install date of 28th Nov. COOL! Booked the afternoon off work to get back for our 1-6pm install. I turn up at home at 1pm the wife tells me that an engineer came round at 12pm to 'check' the property out. There's a problem! The guy said that because I have a brick paved driveway they will have to move the service box, and I also got a flat roof they need to go over. He said he will get a field manager to come round or call me that afternoon.

Waited, waited some more. Called the installation department at 3pm to get an update, she said that she will "chase up the field manager and get him to call". Nothing! Waited another hour or so (getting dark now) called back. "I will call him and get him to call you straight back". Nothing! Called back again. "I will call him and call you back in 5-10mins" Nothing! Called back That evening at 8.30pm and spoke to a lady in CS. Gave me £15 credit for all the 0845 calls I made. She says that it was unacceptable that I have not been contacted, will put on note on the system & try calling in at 8.30am as thats when the installation department open on a Saturday.

Saturday arrives and non the closer. Call back and go through to India or something, "no they open up at 10am, call back then". I do this at 10am, "yes Sir we will call the field manager and call you back". Nothing! I call back early afternoon, spoke to a manager who said that "it has been put forward to the construction team and they will be in contact with you to organise a service box move". He gave me a 0800 number! w00t! I waited a few hours, Nothing! I call the construction team "no sir we do not know of any problems at your address, and the next install date we have on our system is the 11th Dec, but we can move the box before that, its just the techincians install" WHAAA!
I call back to speak to the CS manager who said "I will get the contruction manager to call you" Guess what....Nothing!

I call back Monday. Spoke to CS again. Took more details, Will look into it and get back to me. She said she would get a manager to call me as this is outrages. Nothing.The CS woman got her colleague to call me at 2pm before she went off to see if i had a phonecall, She called but I have had no phonecall from any manager.

Tuesday morning, spoke to the CS woman who actually called me, she stated that the earliest we can Install is 12th Dec and thats that! Nothing they can do, no priority service, no nothing. For the 10-12 phonecalls I have made avg 15-20 mins each I get £15 credit and another 2 weeks wait. My SKY is due to go down within the next week so I will be left without any services. If I ring SKY I would probably have to give them another 30 days notice costing me more money.

Sorry for the huge post but I am so frustrated and upset on the way I have been treated, I have lost money and patience with VM & I haven't even had the damn thing installed yet. Why don't they ask if you have these brick driveways or such when ordering to save the hassle?!

Any ideas on how i can push the install nearer? What can I do?

Thanks all :(

cablecrazy
02-12-2008, 12:16
Oh dear, that is DISGRACEFUL. Maybe if you threaten to cancel your order, they may pull their socks up?

s1rus
02-12-2008, 12:26
I was thinking of doing that but they might just say "ok fair enough, sorry for the problems, have a nice day" and that means I lose what I want and they get off not doing all the work to move the box.

fireman328
02-12-2008, 19:16
This is no way to run a business. VM have the monopoly of cable and need a competitor to force proper competion in the market.

jungleguy
02-12-2008, 22:43
The problem with cable is, every installation is different. They don't stick a dish on a wall and point it to a part of the sky, nor do they attach a cable from a telegraph pole to your property. The whole nature of the product requires a specific installation process. If you have a block pave drive, it was pretty naive of you to think they were gonna turn up and magic the cable in, you must have had an idea there would be a potential problem.

Your big problem is that installers know what the problem is, ie. the swept t needs moving (I guess so they can run the cable in from a boundary edge), but customer services only know that instal has failed, cause job requires construction.

If the T needs moving, there's normally a 5 day wait for this to happen. then the instal can happen after that.

Mick Fisher
02-12-2008, 23:59
This is no way to run a business. VM have the monopoly of cable and need a competitor to force proper competion in the market.
:clap:

sollp
03-12-2008, 00:22

Well that would mean splitting up VM just to be back where it was 7-8yrs ago, cable is not a monopoly as the competition is from Sky and BT that provide the same products just delivered differently. Having other cable companies wouldn't make any difference as they would be exactly the same as VM is, I.E get more customer installed with as few installers to do the job, wouldn't solve anything.

Jonnymeg
04-12-2008, 16:05
Well that would mean splitting up VM just to be back where it was 7-8yrs ago, cable is not a monopoly as the competition is from Sky and BT that provide the same products just delivered differently. Having other cable companies wouldn't make any difference as they would be exactly the same as VM is, I.E get more customer installed with as few installers to do the job, wouldn't solve anything.