PDA

View Full Version : NHS Complaints

Charlie_Bubble
25-11-2008, 14:55
Does anyone know how you go about complaining about how somebody has been treated by a hospital/health authority?

Background: My father discovered he had a hernia in August. He went to see his GP who confirmed he had a hernia and then made arrangements for him to get a hospital appointement.

He was sent a list of hospitals and possible appointments. Basically none of the hospitals were viable (Small local hospitals with few appointments), apart from the main county hospital. He chose this one and a couple of weeks ago they examined him. They discovered some cysts which they said they would remove them at the same time.

He was sent a letter last week saying he had to go in yesterday for a pre-op (8:30am) and this morning for the operations (7:30am). On Saturday he received a letter saying both ops couldn't be done at the same time and he would have to go in again on the 9th December for the cyst operation, but the hernia one would go ahead today as planned. This was confirmed yesterday when he had his pre-op appointment.

My dad drove to and from the hospital yesterday for his pre-op, but as he was having a hernia operation today he had to book a taxi in the morning as he had to set off at about 6:30am. He lives in a rural area about 20 miles from the hospital and they said yesterday he would be out in the afternoon and so he arranged for a friend to collect him.

This morning he arrived at 7:30am for his operation, obviously not having been able to eat. He sat around until noon waiting for his op, because they weren't sure he could have his hernia operation AND then the cyst operation 2 weeks after. He was then told he would have the hernia op this afternoon and have to stay overnight. At about 1:30pm, my mum phoned me to say my dad had arrived home. They had called his friend to collect him, cancelled his hernia op and sent him home. His op on the 9th will go ahead (at the moment, but who knows) and his hernia will have to be rescheduled.

My dad was not happy that he had paid £30 taxi fare to sit around for 5 hours and then be sent home, but he's too polite to really say anything and normally just accepts this kind of crap after having been in the forces since he left school. Their response was to give him a card to call and maybe he can have free transport next time.

I am not happy with the way they have mucked him about and want an apology from someone for making a 72 year old man with emphasyma get out of his bed at 6am, travel 40 miles at some expense to have nothing happen due to incompetence. Surely someone could have seen before that he was having 2 operations that were incompatible. We would have been ok if they'd done the hernia today and rescheduled the other for 2 months down the line, but to cancel an entire operation at the last minute and put my dad out as they have is unforgiveable.

Kymmy
25-11-2008, 14:56
First step will be PALS (http://www.pals.nhs.uk/)

They'll be able to tell you the best way to bring up the issue and how if needed to take it to an official level

Charlie_Bubble
25-11-2008, 15:52
First step will be PALS (http://www.pals.nhs.uk/)

They'll be able to tell you the best way to bring up the issue and how if needed to take it to an official level

Thanks for the link. Will have a little look around it when I get home this evening.

haydnwalker
25-11-2008, 15:54
Good call Kymmy...

Does your dad have difficulties with mobility? If so he would be entitled to free medicar/ambulance transport to and from hospital (and also it is possible to have someone accompany them but needs to be advised at the time of booking). The hospital should arrange for this transport.

Matthew
25-11-2008, 19:32
If you have any trouble getting through to your local PALS, drop me a PM and I will see what digging I can do for you at our end.

Charlie_Bubble
25-11-2008, 20:32
He's mobile in his car, but can't walk too far, especially uphill without getting very out of breath.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

Situation pans out that they should really have scheduled the cyst operation before the hernia operation. When squeezed, one of the cysts 'wept', so the surgeon due to perform the hernia op said he wouldn't operate with it like that. The surgeon due to do the cyst operation couldn't operate on my dad in today as he was busy, so basically it was a washout. Dad is taking a philosophical view on it, so isn't really interested in complaining, although I think he's miffed at £30 down the drain.

Scrubbs
25-11-2008, 22:09
Let me say first off I don't have anything to do with the NHS except that I should have a season ticket to my local hospital. :)
While I realise it is quite annoying to get knocked back for an op I do know that operations are prioritised and the staff are not "incompetent"
I would like to think that a more dire operation is going to get done over my hernia op ( I have actually had one) something like a traffic accident and it's not something you can plan for.
I believe your father can possibly claim his £30 back

Maggy
25-11-2008, 23:21
Let me say first off I don't have anything to do with the NHS except that I should have a season ticket to my local hospital. :)
While I realise it is quite annoying to get knocked back for an op I do know that operations are prioritised and the staff are not "incompetent"
I would like to think that a more dire operation is going to get done over my hernia op ( I have actually had one) something like a traffic accident and it's not something you can plan for.

That's all true but it still leaves a 72 year old pensioner £30 out of pocket after a very uncomfortable day. :erm:

Charlie_Bubble
26-11-2008, 01:20

He went for a pre-op examination on Monday morning and was ok'ed by the consultant for the hernia op the next day. Surely at this point they could have seen then that it might be prudent to do the cyst op before the hernia op. Last Tuesday they were going to do both at the same time, by the weekend this had changed to the hernia op first and then a seperate cyst op. This was the third trip to the hospital in 2 weeks and so far he is no further along the road to recovery.