PDA

View Full Version : Cable routes

Mat P
15-11-2008, 22:20
Hi,
I'm having cable installed in a couple of weeks (RG5).

Is it possible to have the TV and phone installed at opposite ends of the room? If so, can they bring the cable in to the room from two separate points?

How much effort will they go to to ensure the cables can't be seen? If I have easily accessible cubby holes will they drill holes through internal walls?

I don't want cables runing round the house exposed if I can possibly get away with it - I'm more than willing to bribe with tea and biscuits if needed (Bacon sarnies at a push ;) )

Cheers

Chris
15-11-2008, 22:25
:welcome: to the forum, Mat.

They will run cable round your external wall and drill through at the point where you want the internal wall box to be. This will have to be on an external wall. AFAIK they will not continue the external cable round your internal walls at all.

From the wall box they are usually amenable to running internal cabling where you want it, so long as you don't present them with hours of work (they're usually under a lot of pressure with the number of jobs they have to do in a day). From the wall box they will run coax to your TV, where they will then place the STB, and standard telephone cable to wherever you want your master socket. They will normally offer to place the master socket next to an existing BT master and wire your BT extension sockets into the new VM master so that you can continue to use them.

They will certainly drill through internal walls in order to do the install the way you want it. You're unlikely to persuade them to go via your loft though, and they won't go under floorboards (except some might, if you lift them beforehand - that plus bacon butties perhaps. I wouldn't bank on it though).

whydoIneedatech
15-11-2008, 22:36
Do not let them try to persuade you that getting a wireless router will be much better, it will be for them if you do, get them to put the cables where you want even if it means you doing some preparation before they arrive.

Mat P
16-11-2008, 09:36
Thanks for the prompt responses, I didn't realise you guys worked nights as well :D

To be truthful, I am slightly concerned they are going to leave the house a mess - partly based on some of the posts I've read on this forum, I guess you only hear about the nightmares on the net.

I'm struggling to see how it can be done without them running cables everywhere. I hope that as they do this everyday they'll know all the best routes intuitively..... and I have nothing to worry about.

Do you know what router they will be installing (I think I get a freebie wireless one)?

whydoIneedatech
16-11-2008, 09:49
Thanks for the prompt responses, I didn't realise you guys worked nights as well :D

To be truthful, I am slightly concerned they are going to leave the house a mess - partly based on some of the posts I've read on this forum, I guess you only hear about the nightmares on the net.

I'm struggling to see how it can be done without them running cables everywhere. I hope that as they do this everyday they'll know all the best routes intuitively..... and I have nothing to worry about.

Do you know what router they will be installing (I think I get a freebie wireless one)?
Netgear WGR614 wireless G with embedded Virgin software that cannot be upgraded from the Netgear site.

Remember as you are getting a router they may try to persuade you to have the modem behind the TV, do not be swayed, have them put it where you want as it is no use ringing up after they have left to complain about it.

Mat P
16-11-2008, 10:17
Thanks, I'll feedback how it goes.

Jonnymeg
16-11-2008, 11:05
Remember as you are getting a router they may try to persuade you to have the modem behind the TV, do not be swayed, have them put it where you want as it is no use ringing up after they have left to complain about it.

I think you are being a little unfair in your assumptions that installers would do this just to save work.

Having the router behind the TV may be a perfect solution for the OP if he really doesn't want wiring everywhere. You do not know where the computer is
or what he is using it for. You do not know what other devices (ps3/xbox etc..) that may need the connection too. Perhaps the op uses a laptop in the same room as the TV.

To make such a statement is wrong without knowing the full facts and all you are doing is making installers look bad.

whydoIneedatech
16-11-2008, 11:10
I think you are being a little unfair in your assumptions that installers would do this just to save work.

Having the router behind the TV may be a perfect solution for the OP if he really doesn't want wiring everywhere. You do not know where the computer is
or what he is using it for. You do not know what other devices (ps3/xbox etc..) that may need the connection too. Perhaps the op uses a laptop in the same room as the TV.

To make such a statement is wrong without knowing the full facts and all you are doing is making installers look bad.
No the majority of installers do the job as requested, and a few do it as above and it does happen as I have received such calls from customers.

So please do not think I am painting all installers the same, because you will know the are some who cut corners as in all trades, best to give him a heads up now especially as he is getting a router.

Jonnymeg
16-11-2008, 11:28
No the majority of installers do the job as requested, and a few do it as above and it does happen as I have received such calls from customers.

So please do not think I am painting all installers the same, because you will know the are some who cut corners as in all trades, best to give him a heads up now especially as he is getting a router.

I agree that there are poor installers as there are poor guys on tech support but i would never paint that picture to a customer.
The problem is that now you have said such things the customer will automatically be on the defensive and immeadiately averse to having a router near the TV even if it is the best solution for him. He will feel he is being Conned.

Better to have said:

To avoid messy wiring the installer may offer to install the router along side the TV as they utilize the same cable. Please be aware that this solution is not the best for everyone and depends on your personal set up. If you use a laptop in your front room it is perfect. If you PC is in your back bedroom it is not.
Think through your choice as you may be charged for an additional visit to move the modem if you make the wrong choice.

Thanks for you PM, i appreciate you taking the time to explain your thoughts.

whydoIneedatech
16-11-2008, 11:33
I agree that there are poor installers as there are poor guys on tech support but i would never paint that picture to a customer.
The problem is that now you have said such things the customer will automatically be on the defensive and immeadiately averse to having a router near the TV even if it is the best solution for him. He will feel he is being Conned.

Better to have said:

To avoid messy wiring the installer may offer to install the router along side the TV as they utilize the same cable. Please be aware that this solution is not the best for everyone and depends on your personal set up. If you use a laptop in your front room it is perfect. If you PC is in your back bedroom it is not.
Think through your choice as you may be charged for an additional visit to move the modem if you make the wrong choice.

Thanks for you PM, i appreciate you taking the time to explain your thoughts.
That is a good clear concise explanation.;)

Mat P
16-11-2008, 17:22
I'm glad I posted this - after all, it may be the best place is behind the TV.... Just in case I convince the wife to get a PS3 for my 2 year old ;-)

Thanks for the ideas.

SnoopZ
16-11-2008, 19:01
Don't put it behind the TV, if you need the internet there in future then wireless will do it.

Jonnymeg
16-11-2008, 19:12
Don't put it behind the TV, if you need the internet there in future then wireless will do it.

But wireless doesn't always cut it with a gaming. If a PS3 is on the cards then with the TV is the way to go so you can hard wire the connection.
Surfing the net wirelessly would be better than having the PS3 on WI FI.
Many gamers will tell you that wifi is crap especially if the router is far away, long range wireless will cut down your speed and introduce lag on some games.

SnoopZ
16-11-2008, 19:39
True but i think the main thing should be for the PC to be hard wired, atleast at first then worry about the other stuff later, atleast the PS3 has built in wireless.

Also to the OP, the phone doesn't use the same cable as the TV or internet. In my house they screwed the socket next to the BT socket and used a few of its wires.

DC_FC79
23-11-2008, 16:02
OP

you can have the cables run where you like, we have the phone, modem and the tv cables at different points of entry, if you explain where you would like the cables to come into the house they will do it

Mat P
23-11-2008, 16:51
Thanks.

The installs this Thursday, I've taken the afternoon off to be sure it goes OK.

I've read that they will lift up block paving, I have the small blocks similar to house brick size at the front of the house, and about 10 Metres of it - is this going to cause an issue?

Cheers,

Mat.

homealone
23-11-2008, 17:03
Thanks.

The installs this Thursday, I've taken the afternoon off to be sure it goes OK.

I've read that they will lift up block paving, I have the small blocks similar to house brick size at the front of the house, and about 10 Metres of it - is this going to cause an issue?

Cheers,

Mat.

I have similar - they lifted mine & replaced them neatly, the only thing I'm not sure about is whether the cable was laid in a conduit, or just 'bare' - there has not been any problem with it, though. :)

Mat P
27-11-2008, 15:57
The install isn't going too well...

The guys who visited were very polite and apologetic - I have no doubt they wanted the best job for me.

Their manager came by within 15 minutes but wasn't quite as helpful. They've Now left site as there isn't any other way of doing it for the cable to be out of view.

I've spoken to the failed installations team and we've agreed that they will lift the block paving and I'll arrange for it to be re-laid - unfortunately I've been waiting on a callback for a couple of hours.....

Mat P
27-11-2008, 18:30
grrrr, it gets worse......

I've been waiting for callbacks all afternoon, and have to keep chasing this up. I'm now told by Implementation that it's not policy for them to lift block paving and that they will not do it. I mentioned that I've been told by them that it is with a response of "I don't believe you"!!

Eventually they acknowledge that I was told this and they were mislead themselves - however they are still not going to lift the block paving. I understand why, I just wish I hadn't been told they would.

I've now got to get a builder in and they can't fit me in till the 10th Dec, the only saving grace is they've refunded the installation fee - but not until after I asked.

I now have to stop my Sky, BT phone and Broadband from being cut off....

I hope this isn't how it's going to be going forward - somebody tell me it's worth it!! I'm only doing this because I want Setanta Golf and my wife won't let me add it to my Sky package ;-)

Turkey Machine
27-11-2008, 18:42
Add it to your Sky package, no matter what the wife says. By the sounds of things, it's not worth the hassle.

Mat P
13-12-2008, 12:35
The return visit was this week, all I had to do was get the block paving lifted to the bottom of the drive, in return VM were going to get permission from the council to dig the pavement across the front of the drive.

All went well, I got a builder in, my Sky and ADSL were disconnected and we were ready for the install. A Supervisor visited site previously, I'd confirmed with the install team on the phone what they were doing, what could go wrong?

At 13.00 prompt I got a stressed phone call from Mrs P..... Guess what, the engineer couldn't do the install as they had to get permission from the council, and I'd have to wait x days for construction. I was one unhappy customer at that point.

After 1 hr of stress and shouting down the phone a "Manager" agreed to lift even more block paving so that they could come in at a different point, and I'd get the builder to relay it.

I remember being told a week ago that they wouldn't lift block paving!!!! We could have been here previously, with a satisfied customer.

Several hours later the engineer revisited and did the install, as before he was very helpful - I just wish he'd told me he'd drilled a hole in the ceiling before he left ;-(

Anyway, a few points:
1. Do not expect VM to lift Block Paving
2. Be prepared for the install to not go ahead - the first team who visited quoted they had an 86% failure rate
3. The management of the sub-contractors are as much use as a chocolate teapot - in fact that's unfair to chocolate teapots.
4. The engineers were great, I hope they never become managers though as it'll ruin them.

After all this grief however I am more than happy with the end result, OnDemand is excellent and well worth leaving Sky for and the broadband is superfast (I get 19.5Mbps).

I had one issue getting broadband to work which was fixed remotely. Isn't it strange how Sales call centres are always in the UK, but once your on board you get farmed off abroad....

I'm off to watch Setanta Golf ;-)

PS1
07-01-2009, 17:04
I'm struggling to see how it can be done without them running cables everywhere.

Theres always a way my friend,granted, in some situations it is almost impossible not to see a certain ammount of wireing somewhere but said that as long as its tidy and done to the best of the engineers ability then we cant really complain.unfortunately this could depend on the particular engineer that turns up on the day, luck of the draw i guess. Try and do as much prep work as you can in advance tho to help.hopefully all goes well.
ps, i worked for(ntl that was) some years ago and a particular customer bribed me with a curry lol. best install i ever done.:D