PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a comfortable nights sleep?

aidan1987
10-11-2008, 21:05
Ive been sleeping in the same bed for years and its starting to annoy me. The mattress is so hard and Ive been looking for a new one.

Ive seen these tempur foam mattresses that look great but they are a bit dear. Are they as good as they say they are.

Ive seen other foam mattresses at half the price(wonder and visco branded)

Any thoughts on what I should buy???

Ramrod
10-11-2008, 21:16
I have a Tempur mattress. It's superb and I often recommend them.
The only problem you may find with them is that you might get a bit hot as the foam seems to 'reflect' your body heat back at you.........I don't find this to be the case but my wife does.
iirc, tempur give a 6 week trial and you can also get the mattress vat free if you can get a GP/chiropractor/osteopath to recommend one for you (counts as 'medical' equipment)

fireman328
10-11-2008, 21:24
Keep the mattress and spend the money you were going to spend on gin, that way you wont notice how bad a night you have. lol
Seriously my old mum had saying about beds and shoes. "You should always buy the best quality shoes and beds as if you are not in one you are in the other"

aidan1987
10-11-2008, 21:33
Thats a good saying. Would you agree ramrod. Do you think I am stupid spending £200 on a wonder foam mattress.

What difference do you think I would notice from the tempur brand.

Hugh
10-11-2008, 21:50
I would recommend the Sealy Posturepedic Ultra Luxe range - excellent mattress with a layer of memory foam on top. Might cost you a bit more than £200, though, as when we bought the kids one each (single bed size), the mattresses were £249, and that was from Costco.

bw41101
10-11-2008, 22:36
I had the same problem where my "orthopaedic" mattress ended up giving me a lot of backache. I looked at many different types of mattress and eventually came up with one which suited my needs without denting my wallet. :erm:

In fact it's a coupling of conventional pocket springs with a memory foam topper - but manufactured as one entity and I'd certainly recommend it to anyone - firm but very comfortable. :sleep:

This site refers: http://www.sweetdreamsuk.com/wellbeing/wellbeing.htm

The beauty of this type of mattress is that you don't have to "top and turn" these (like bog standard types), just rotate every couple of weeks (or so) - dead easy and saves doing your back in. :p:

Have a look and see what you think.

Si thee

Halcyon
10-11-2008, 22:46
Do you actually turn your mattress ?

You should every few months flip it round and over as otherwise your body will shape it.
Flipping it and turning it round will help to some extent.

Hom3r
10-11-2008, 23:15
don't forget you will spend a third of your life in it

Turkey Machine
10-11-2008, 23:25
don't forget you will spend a third of your life in it

Now THAT's scary! :shocked:

On the plus side, the only thing I have issues with is pillows. Never have one that seems to be perfect. :mad:

bw41101
10-11-2008, 23:53
Do you actually turn your mattress ?

Who's you asking? If it's myself, then I say I rotate (not turn) mine every two weeks. Just grab the handles at one end and spin it around - takes around 30 seconds - you don't even need to remove the bedclothes. :D

Si thee

soup dragon
11-11-2008, 08:54
i also have a sprung mattress with a layer of memory foam on top, it is great i would recommend them to all.

Ramrod
12-11-2008, 09:12
Thats a good saying. Would you agree ramrod. Do you think I am stupid spending £200 on a wonder foam mattress.You aren't spending enough....

What difference do you think I would notice from the tempur brand.
You will definitely notice a big difference between a £200 mattress and a £800+ Tempur.
You get what you pay for :shrug:

AndyCambs
12-11-2008, 12:50
You really need to change a mattress about every 10years.
I bought one of the SensaFoam mattresses - with an electrically operated adjustable bed in the sales last year. It was about 1/3 the price and is heaven to sleep in!

southwell
12-11-2008, 14:40
I bought a sprung one but with a cotton type top so it's really soft and comfortable but very supportive. Cost about £1100 from Bensons last year with a free size upgrade. I think it's slumberland? :tu: for super king size. :D

Tim Deegan
20-09-2011, 13:35
I would recommend the Sealy Posturepedic Ultra Luxe range - excellent mattress with a layer of memory foam on top. Might cost you a bit more than £200, though, as when we bought the kids one each (single bed size), the mattresses were £249, and that was from Costco.

I know your post was 3 years ago. But I would be very surprised if you still have the same high opinion of your mattress???

Ken W
20-09-2011, 14:45
I know your post was 3 years ago. But I would be very surprised if you still have the same high opinion of your mattress???

A cheaper option is mattress topper
http://www.themattresssuperstore.co.uk

tweetiepooh
20-09-2011, 15:20
We have a 2000 spring mattress that cost us around £1000 about 10 years ago. The springs are in 2 layers so it's very thick. Has cotton/wool padding and is very comfortable.

We turn/rotated ours weekly for the first couple of months, then monthly for a while, now it's more irregularly but we still do it.

Tim Deegan
20-09-2011, 15:42
A cheaper option is mattress topper
http://www.themattresssuperstore.co.uk

Toppers are ok as a low cost solution if you have a low quality mattress that you want to inprove. Or if you want to try memory foam out before deciding to buy a mattress with memory foam built in. However they don't even come close to mattresses with a layer of memory foam. I do actually speak to most of my customers, and the general opinion is that memory foam toppers are good, but when they actually purchsed a memory foam mattress it was far better in a number of ways:

To start with a topper is just like a bolt on extra, and is not designed to work with the rest of the components in the mattress
When using a topper there is also the mattress quilting underneath to topper providing more insulation, and therefore making the heat issue often associated with memory foam far worse.
Toppers also have a tendancy to slide about

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

We have a 2000 spring mattress that cost us around £1000 about 10 years ago. The springs are in 2 layers so it's very thick. Has cotton/wool padding and is very comfortable.

We turn/rotated ours weekly for the first couple of months, then monthly for a while, now it's more irregularly but we still do it.

That is the best way to care for a mattress (especially a pocket sprung one). In fact it is because you can't turn them that non turn mattresses don't last as long.

By the way, when you do next replace your mattress, you are better off going for one with a single layer of full size springs, rather than two layers, which are just a gimmick to push the spring count up, and don't actually work as well. It is retailers and some manufacturers that tell people "the more springs the better", just because they want you to spend more. The truth is that more than 800 pocket springs (in a king size) is enough to do what pocket springs are designed to do. And if the spring count is too high, then to fit them all into the mattress whilst keeping the same firmness, then have to be very small and weak, making them fragile. So I usually recommend between 1000 and 1800 pocket springs.

You don't need to spend £1000 (even now) either. If you just stay well away from big brand names, and big manufacturers, and buy on line instead, then you will get a far better mattress for a fraction of the price. Just make sure the seller has a satisfaction guarantee that allows you to unpack and sleep on the mattress.

devilincarnate
20-09-2011, 20:32
The question to this thread is:

"Do you have a comfortable nights sleep?"

The answer is yes:

"I drink Horlicks"

denphone
20-09-2011, 20:35

The answer is yes:

"I drink Horlicks"

l do not sleep that well as the trouble is l have to get up 3 or 4 times a night because of my Water tablets but l do like a drink of Horlicks.:D

Lew
20-09-2011, 20:51
I only use mattresses from Squornshellous Zeta, personally.

devilincarnate
20-09-2011, 21:06
I only use mattresses from Squornshellous Zeta, personally.

Try saying that after a night out:D:D:D I can not say it now without a drink:confused:

Ken W
20-09-2011, 21:13

The answer is yes:

"I drink Horlicks"

Don't have the bedroom too warm, make sure that the room is well ventilated by leaving a window open.

I sleep best when the room is 15 degrees .

devilincarnate
20-09-2011, 21:46
Don't have the bedroom too warm, make sure that the room is well ventilated by leaving a window open.

My bedroom has to be over 1500 degrees? hence the name:)

Maggy
20-09-2011, 21:47
A couple of drops of lavender oil on the pillow helps..I'm out like a light.

Hugh
21-09-2011, 07:42
A couple of drops of lavender oil on the pillow helps..I'm out like a light.
A couple of drops of whisky on my tongue helps....I'm out like a light.:D

denphone
21-09-2011, 08:59
A couple of drops of whisky on my tongue helps....I'm out like a light.:D

Do you regularly end up like this:drunk::drunk:

Chris
21-09-2011, 09:15

That's a very precise assessment ... How on earth did you work that out? How do you measure the difference in sleep quality between 15 and 16 degrees? :spin: :D

Ken W
21-09-2011, 09:32
That's a very precise assessment ... How on earth did you work that out? How do you measure the difference in sleep quality between 15 and 16 degrees? :spin: :D

Opps, I missed out the < :eek:

Chris
21-09-2011, 09:37
Opps, I missed out the < :eek:

:rofl:

Now that makes a difference!

I tend to prefer a cooler room myself, although Mrs T complains of being cold unless the entire house is like a stoked-up furnace.

Gary L
21-09-2011, 11:01
I tend to prefer a cooler room myself, although Mrs T complains of being cold unless the entire house is like a stoked-up furnace.

Me knowing women and all that. she probably means you're not hot enough for her :)

Tinky
21-09-2011, 20:21
Now THAT's scary! :shocked:

On the plus side, the only thing I have issues with is pillows. Never have one that seems to be perfect. :mad:

I'm with Turkey here, I have a constant battle with my pillows, either too low/high, to hard, too lumpy. Also the duvet is on/off, off/on throughout the night and like Denphone I'm up several times to the toilet because of water tablets. Other than that I sleep perfectly. :D

devilincarnate
21-09-2011, 22:07
I'm with Turkey here, I have a constant battle with my pillows, either too low/high, to hard, too lumpy.

Make sure that you mark which pillows are yours before the nightly pillow fights:D:D:D:D

TJS
21-09-2011, 23:33
Every night :) I have a mattress that was roughly £800.

I have a condition called E.D.S (ehlers danlos syndrome) or in simple terms extreme double jointedness, I used to have a cheaper more basic mattress and ended up with bruised joints just from sleeping, the extra money was really worth it :)

Pia
21-09-2011, 23:35
<snip>

I see you made your way over from MSE with your (masses of) bed knowledge lol ;)

Tim Deegan
21-09-2011, 23:39
I see you made your way over from MSE with your (masses of) bed knowledge lol ;)

I go on many forums, including my own on my mattress advice web site.

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:38 ----------

Every night :) I have a mattress that was roughly £800.

I have a condition called E.D.S (ehlers danlos syndrome) or in simple terms extreme double jointedness, I used to have a cheaper more basic mattress and ended up with bruised joints just from sleeping, the extra money was really worth it :)

What type of mattress do you have?

TJS
24-09-2011, 08:59
I go on many forums, including my own on my mattress advice web site.

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:38 ----------

What type of mattress do you have?

It's a pocket sprung matres, they had an offer on it dreams about a year back now, I got a new £120 bed frame for £50, and this matress for just under £800

http://www.dreams.co.uk/pocketspring-mat/fitzroy/133-00439/product/

p.s. size is a double :)

Tim Deegan
24-09-2011, 10:36
It's a pocket sprung matres, they had an offer on it dreams about a year back now, I got a new £120 bed frame for £50, and this matress for just under £800

http://www.dreams.co.uk/pocketspring-mat/fitzroy/133-00439/product/

p.s. size is a double :)

Well pocket sprung mattresses contour to your body, unlike open coil sprung mattresses that are just a sprung platform.

Next time you replace your mattress you might want to have a look at pocket sprung with either memory foam or latex foam. As long as you stay away from big retailers (like Dreams), and big brand names, then you should be able to get one for well under the £800 you paid.

TJS
24-09-2011, 11:16
Well pocket sprung mattresses contour to your body, unlike open coil sprung mattresses that are just a sprung platform.

Next time you replace your mattress you might want to have a look at pocket sprung with either memory foam or latex foam. As long as you stay away from big retailers (like Dreams), and big brand names, then you should be able to get one for well under the £800 you paid.

It was the best deal at the time around here from what we saw :) because it had a higher spring count then some of the others which were around 1000 - 2000

Tim Deegan
24-09-2011, 17:13
It was the best deal at the time around here from what we saw :) because it had a higher spring count then some of the others which were around 1000 - 2000

You shouldn't get tied up too much with spring counts. It's just something that sales reps use to get you to spend more.

The truth is that more than 800 springs in a king size mattress is enough to do what pocket springs are designed to do. If a mattress has too many springs, then to fit them all in and keep the same firmness, they have to be very small and weak. So I usually recommend between 1000 and 1800 pocket springs.

This site might be useful in the future: http://www.mattressadvice.co.uk

Tim Deegan
29-10-2011, 13:50

Can you remember the actual name of the mattress?

ThunderPants73
05-11-2011, 23:23
Don't buy a memory foam topped mattress unless you are nesh in bed, I bought a Silent Night one in April and I haven't had a decent night's sleep since, just way too hot. It's now November and I still can't stand anything more than a sheet and a thin blanket. I miss my duvet!!!

TJS
05-11-2011, 23:39
Can you remember the actual name of the mattress?

On the label on the bottom it says 'KENNEDY'

Tim Deegan
07-11-2011, 00:08
Don't buy a memory foam topped mattress unless you are nesh in bed, I bought a Silent Night one in April and I haven't had a decent night's sleep since, just way too hot. It's now November and I still can't stand anything more than a sheet and a thin blanket. I miss my duvet!!!

The two mistakes you made were probably:

1) the wrong type of memory foam mattress. If it had been memory foam on top of full size steel springs (not the reflex foam encapsulated type). And the memory foam was 2" deep (without being bulked out with reflex foam), then it robably wouldn' be hot.

2) the biggest mistake you made was buying Silentnight.

---------- Post added at 00:08 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

On the label on the bottom it says 'KENNEDY'

It that the one made by Deluxe Beds, or the Sleepeezee one from Dreams?

ThunderPants73
07-11-2011, 18:38
Whats wrong with Silentnight?

devilincarnate
07-11-2011, 19:20

Nothing as they are quiet:erm::D:D:D

Tim Deegan
07-11-2011, 22:43

Nothing as long as you only need your mattress to last a few months.

Hom3r
07-11-2011, 22:52
I struggled last week, I usually wake before my alarm at 6:30, but with the clocks going back I wake at 5:30, the sooner I adjust the better.

AdamD
08-11-2011, 18:23
So what is a good brand/type? I'm guessing memory foam with pocket springs

But what brand? heh

Tim Deegan
08-11-2011, 18:35
So what is a good brand/type? I'm guessing memory foam with pocket springs

But what brand? heh

Just stay well away from the big brand names, and big retailers, if you want good quality at a good price. And try and make sure you get a two sided one as they will last far longer.

I'm not going to recommend anyone, as that's not why I'm here. But you can get loads of good advice here: http://www.mattressadvice.co.uk

nashville
08-11-2011, 20:14
I recommend A Sealy posturepedic Back Care. It is excellent, I have a great sleep every night, The sale price was between £500 and £600, Including headboard.

Tim Deegan
08-11-2011, 20:34
I recommend A Sealy posturepedic Back Care. It is excellent, I have a great sleep every night, The sale price was between £500 and £600, Including headboard.

Oh dear. I presume you haven't had it long?

Hugh
08-11-2011, 20:41
Just stay well away from the big brand names, and big retailers, if you want good quality at a good price. And try and make sure you get a two sided one as they will last far longer.

I'm not going to recommend anyone, as that's not why I'm here. But you can get loads of good advice here: http://www.mattressadvice.co.uk To be fair, you are recommending your own advice site.....;)

nashville
08-11-2011, 20:51
Oh dear. I presume you haven't had it long?

Only about 4 months, Best bed I have ever had,;)

Wayfair
08-11-2011, 20:51
After years of struggling to sleep partly due to not being able to set a sleep pattern as I work shifts I purchased one of these kingsized jobbies to try and be as comfy as possible.

http://www.ergoflex.co.uk

Excellent.. and every few months they have a sale on and the prices are reduced.

I now need to set my alarm clock :)

Tim Deegan
08-11-2011, 21:03
To be fair, you are recommending your own advice site.....;)

Yes, because it's far easier than typing pages and pages on here.

It's only advice, and isn't trying to sell anything.

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

Only about 4 months, Best bed I have ever had,;)

Well all I can say is look out for the slightest fault, and report it as soon as it happens. If you are lucky you will get a problem within the first six months, and will then be entitled to a refund.

The Silentnight group (which includes Sealy amongst others) are very good at making mattresses that are extremely comfortable when new. However even if the unreliable spring systems last, the comfort often doesn't.

---------- Post added at 21:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

After years of struggling to sleep partly due to not being able to set a sleep pattern as I work shifts I purchased one of these kingsized jobbies to try and be as comfy as possible.

http://www.ergoflex.co.uk

Excellent.. and every few months they have a sale on and the prices are reduced.

I now need to set my alarm clock :)

Their sale prices are actually closer to what you should be paying for them.

They are reflex foam with memory foam on top. These are ok if you like being warm in bed. But if you don't then you would be far better off with pocket springs with memory foam (two sided if you can find them, as they will last longer). Pocket sprung with memory foam will also be far more supportive.

Osem
08-11-2011, 21:28
I posted on here some time ago about our now 3 year old La Romantica Madrid mattress. It's a double sided memory foam and pocket sprung mattress and is by far the best we've ever had - far better than the Silentnight and Sealy mattresses we'd had before and at a fraction of the price of the so called 'equivalent' high street offerings.

Yes, it did take a couple of weeks to get used to but since then we've both grown to love it and despite sleeping in a very warm loft room and me being a great big cuddly old Hector*, we never get too hot (well, only once a fortnight anyway :D). Memory foam which is too deep, however, can lead to overheating so be warned.

(* aka fat git :D )

ThunderPants73
08-11-2011, 22:19
Nothing as long as you only need your mattress to last a few months.

My last mattress lasted 13 years, it too, was a Silentnight. But I s'pose quality isn't what it once was.

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

I posted on here some time ago about our now 3 year old La Romantica Madrid mattress. It's a double sided memory foam and pocket sprung mattress and is by far the best we've ever had - far better than the Silentnight and Sealy mattresses we'd had before and at a fraction of the price of the so called 'equivalent' high street offerings.

Yes, it did take a couple of weeks to get used to but since then we've both grown to love it and despite sleeping in a very warm loft room and me being a great big cuddly old Hector*, we never get too hot (well, only once a fortnight anyway :D). Memory foam which is too deep, however, can lead to overheating so be warned.

(* aka fat git :D )

Why only once a fortnight?

Tim Deegan
08-11-2011, 22:30
My last mattress lasted 13 years, it too, was a Silentnight. But I s'pose quality isn't what it once was.

Unfortunately that's exactly right. Over recent years many of the big manufacturers have cut production costs by cutting quality. But some manufacturers especially, have taken this too far

Hugh
08-11-2011, 22:45

What he used to do all week, now takes him all week to do.....:D

ThunderPants73
08-11-2011, 23:39
*snigger*

Osem
09-11-2011, 22:58

You'll need to ask the wife that... :D