PDA

View Full Version : Can you use HDMI cable and RF out?

kevshek
09-11-2008, 10:40
For some time now, ive been running my V+ box using the scart out to the TV in the sitting room. I also have a coaxial cable running upstairs to my bedroom TV where i can also watch and control the same V+ box.

However, how ive changed the output on the V+ box to HiDef out, the RF outlet no longer sends a signal along the coaxial cable, and i get no picture on the bedroom TV.

Is there a way around this to get the V+ box to both use the HDMI out and RF out? Or is there a way to split the HDMI out and "maybe" convert it back to RF?(longshot i know)

multiskilled
09-11-2008, 11:27
Try this method. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/104/33635282-vm-v-box-lack-rf-when.html

kevshek
09-11-2008, 14:41
Thanks for the quick reply.
So to conclude, in my case as i have no VCR, i could use the VCR out into my DVD player, then use the RF out on that DVD player to supply me with the signal i need?

Ill try it now and let you know

---------- Post added at 13:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

Ok, ive done what i said above, and have re-tuned the bedroom TV and it works. However, i need to leave the DVD player switched ON in order for it to transmit RF. I suppose it will have to do.

Thanks for the help

multiskilled
10-11-2008, 00:45
No problem thanks for the reply.

It's nice to get feedback when advice works, and it's useful to others when they have a similar problem.

kevshek
10-11-2008, 01:21
One thing i have noticed tonight though, the RF signal from the DVD player doesnt transmit the menu from the V+ box, so i cant see what im watching or go into the menus. I dont know if this only relates to my DVD player, but in order to sort it out once and forall, ive bitten the bullet and have bought a scart splitter and an AV transmitter/sender unit. Im going to split the scart going into the DVD player where i know the menu does appear on, then transmit it to the bedroom TV. Its cost me a total of £32 in upgrades, but at least ill have my HiDef working and bedroom TV working.

multiskilled
10-11-2008, 01:42
Sorry forgot to mention the menus are not available via the video scart.Something to do with the graphic chip in the v+, but this the only method at the moment to get cable to another room when using hdmi, other than getting a second stb.

I would double check your getting menus now that you have switched to hdmi, do a recording, and see. I don't think they will be there.
I am asuming it's a dvd recorder nit just a dvd player because it has rf in and out.

BenMcr
10-11-2008, 02:46
The reason the menus don't appear on the VCR SCART is so that you can continue to use the V+ (whether on HDMI or TV SCART/RF). If it did show the menus, then it would ruin the archiving

It was done on purpose ;)

kevshek
10-11-2008, 18:25
yeah, my DVD is a recorder.
ive just checked and since switching over to the HDMI, the menus doesnt show up on the VCR OUT, so im no further forward. Oh well, might just have to use scart again, and switch over to HDMI when needed.

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Ive had a look thru my user manual for the plasma, its new, just bought it on the weekend there. I have notice one interesting thing. it says the EXT 1 & EXT 2 (scarts) are "inputs & output" particularly, on EXT2, you can choose the output. I cant figure out from the manual where the settings are to do it so im gonna try just pressing the buttons, but just maybe, there could be a way to get the HDMI from the V+ to come out thru EXT2. Fingers crossed!

BTW the TV is a Samsung PS50A557S3FXXU (what a mouthful!)