PDA

View Full Version : virgin media wireless setup

andysingo
04-11-2008, 19:54
i have acquired a wireless router from aol, dlink dsl 2640r and have been able to set up a wireless network name and password and it says connected on my wireless status however i get a red cross next to internet and it will only work through my ethernet lead connected to the lan port on router and on wireless router. i have connected the ethernet port from the modem to the routers wan port however dont know why i am not getting the wireless to work. it was working for about an hour and then when turning off the computer and trying to reconnect the wireless wont work, does any one know where i am going wrong what settings i need to check for etc, or whether its just not possible to use this particualar wireless router for a cale connection?

thanks really appreciate any help , driving me mad

whydoIneedatech
04-11-2008, 20:02
i have acquired a wireless router from aol, dlink dsl 2640r and have been able to set up a wireless network name and password and it says connected on my wireless status however i get a red cross next to internet and it will only work through my ethernet lead connected to the lan port on router and on wireless router. i have connected the ethernet port from the modem to the routers wan port however dont know why i am not getting the wireless to work. it was working for about an hour and then when turning off the computer and trying to reconnect the wireless wont work, does any one know where i am going wrong what settings i need to check for etc, or whether its just not possible to use this particualar wireless router for a cale connection?

thanks really appreciate any help , driving me mad
Here is the support site for your router click HERE (http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=gNTyP9CnptFMIC4AStFCF834mptYIe5XTNvhLPG3yV3oWI h6jqltbNlwaaRp6jg9FSvhyyVE94QOBw==)

andysingo
04-11-2008, 20:34
am i right in thinking it does not work on a cableconnection, when i do check the status logging in using the ip address it does say adsl line down , however im sure i read on web using wan port that you can get a adsl router working with cable, or am i wrong just seem weird that worked for an hour and now totally stopped, do aol have something installed on router which cuts the connection to any other isp providers

whydoIneedatech
04-11-2008, 21:42
am i right in thinking it does not work on a cableconnection, when i do check the status logging in using the ip address it does say adsl line down , however im sure i read on web using wan port that you can get a adsl router working with cable, or am i wrong just seem weird that worked for an hour and now totally stopped, do aol have something installed on router which cuts the connection to any other isp providers
Yes that is an ADSL router and cannot be used on a Virgin connection.

Jonnymeg
05-11-2008, 16:46
Yes that is an ADSL router and cannot be used on a Virgin connection.

Please note the OP stated he had a 2640R not a 2640B.

I think the key thing here is "AOL". At one time aol did not support wireless routers on the cable network and it is more than likely that it is a special router that has been configured for use on the AOL network only.

If i were you, for what they cost nowadays, i would go out and buy a new one.

whydoIneedatech
05-11-2008, 23:18
Please note the OP stated he had a 2640R not a 2640B.

I think the key thing here is "AOL". At one time aol did not support wireless routers on the cable network and it is more than likely that it is a special router that has been configured for use on the AOL network only.

If i were you, for what they cost nowadays, i would go out and buy a new one.
Did notice but could not see it listed so posted that link in case it was a typo, but it does give you access to the rest of the site.

Anyway it does not matter as it cannot be used on Virgin anyway.