PDA

View Full Version : Relocating v+ box using cat5 ??

vman
25-10-2008, 09:19
Hi,

Have a situation now where I dont think Virgin will help much with.

I have 2 V+ boxes in the house, one upstairs and one downstairs. I want to relocate the upstairs one to a new room, one without any cable connections.

I have cat5 in both rooms, is it possible to pass the signal from the upstairs feed, thru cat5 to the new room. Im thinking there may be converters / baluns etc that simply convert the f-type connector to rj45, I then run the appropriate cables and then in the new room, convert it back and stick my v+ on the end

The reason I dont think VM will help is that I want this box against an internal wall which would mean running the cable thru inside walls etc

Sirius
25-10-2008, 09:26
Hi,

Have a situation now where I dont think Virgin will help much with.

I have 2 V+ boxes in the house, one upstairs and one downstairs. I want to relocate the upstairs one to a new room, one without any cable connections.

I have cat5 in both rooms, is it possible to pass the signal from the upstairs feed, thru cat5 to the new room. Im thinking there may be converters / baluns etc that simply convert the f-type connector to rj45, I then run the appropriate cables and then in the new room, convert it back and stick my v+ on the end

The reason I dont think VM will help is that I want this box against an internal wall which would mean running the cable thru inside walls etc

I can categorically state that will not work. You must extend using RF cable and in that case you will need VM to move the box for you. If you move it yourself and there is some problem at a later date they could charge you not only for the visit but also to put things right.

You cannot send RF over cat5. Its against the laws of psychics captain :LOL:

Oh and :welcome: to Cable Forum

vman
25-10-2008, 09:40
Damn that physics :)

Over to cunning plan v2 then. I also have coax points in the 2 locations, I know I can extend the RF output over this so leaving the v+ in the original room and watching it via normal aerial in the new room...but.... could I route the feed through coax ?

feed -> converter -> coax -> loft -> new room coax -> new room outlet -> converter -> V+

Would that work, then I just need 2 cheapo ftype converters.

Thanks for the welcome too :)

---------- Post added at 08:40 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

oh, the problems with leaving the v+ in the original room is..

a) having to watch over UHF
b) having to change channels by some remote extender, which i'd need to buy

chickendippers
25-10-2008, 09:44
The problem with adding your own cable is that it will affect the signal level; you may find that your V+ box won't work in the new location and secondly it may introduce noise into the network thus affecting your neighbour's service.

This is why the recommendation is to have Virgin Media come and do it as the engineer will check the signal level and make the necessary adjustment (in the street cabinet if necessary) for you. However IIRC they're not permitted to go into loft space.

Sirius
25-10-2008, 09:46
Damn that physics :)

Over to cunning plan v2 then. I also have coax points in the 2 locations, I know I can extend the RF output over this so leaving the v+ in the original room and watching it via normal aerial in the new room...but.... could I route the feed through coax ?

feed -> converter -> coax -> loft -> new room coax -> new room outlet -> converter -> V+

Would that work, then I just need 2 cheapo ftype converters.

Thanks for the welcome too :)

---------- Post added at 08:40 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

oh, the problems with leaving the v+ in the original room is..

a) having to watch over UHF
b) having to change channels by some remote extender, which i'd need to buy

What ever you do there has to be some small rules or it will not work.

It has to be good cable and connectors "cheapo does not work well"

The connectors need to be made up correctly.

Every new connection and length of cable will reduce the amount of signal, which could mean you will have picture breakup.

If you get it wrong you can end up in a whole barrel of poo with signal reflections and noise ingress.

I would talk to VM about it if i was you. You never know there might not be a problem with them doing the work.

VM could if they discover that your extensions are inducing noise on the network disconnect you until such time as you have let them fix the problem and for that they will charge you.

vman
25-10-2008, 09:48
I'll give them a bell and see what they say.

Thanks for the help.

Sirius
25-10-2008, 09:51
I'll give them a bell and see what they say.

Thanks for the help.

Your welcome :)

Jonnymeg
25-10-2008, 09:57
How are you connecting your tv to the v+ box?
You could send HDMI over cat5.

spiderplant
25-10-2008, 11:05
You could send HDMI over cat5.
Thanks Jonny. That's today's thing learnt, and it's only 11am.

Just Googled this up
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/New-Products/HDMI-Over-CAT5-Gets-Affordable.html

Kymmy
25-10-2008, 11:57
Cat5 can do RF frequencies, well anything above about 300Khz is broadcastable and even under that figure... Cat5 does 100Mhz well in the VHF range...

BUT it's extremely noisy as it's unshielded and wouldn;t cope too well with the 400Mhz+ as used on cable

JayJay
25-10-2008, 19:00
We are aloud in lofts, aslong as there is work space, eg; boarded. Its personally down the the engineer though. I personally dont mind going into lofts, just hate it when its 10000 degrees up there and im itching from insolation haha.

Bite the bullet and get VM to do it, help the engineer if you want. Will be thankful!

piggy
26-10-2008, 14:00
Thanks Jonny. That's today's thing learnt, and it's only 11am.

Just Googled this up
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/New-Products/HDMI-Over-CAT5-Gets-Affordable.html

good link and thanks jonny i didnt know that

Jonnymeg
26-10-2008, 14:44
good link and thanks jonny i didnt know that

I didn't till about six weeks ago. It was one of those 'wow' i didn't know that moments.